ASA Walk Off

clemente24

OG BOOBIE WATCHER
We were down six runs in the bottom of the 7th,

we tie the score and have runners on 2nd and 3rd one out. They walk the 2 hitter to load the bases 3 hitter hits a Hr over the fence.

Runner from third crosses home hitter touches first.

Team we played argued that the runners from 2nd to 3rd and 1st to 2nd did not touch the bases.

What is the right call here? The UMPS let the players decide if you hit a HR if you want to round the bags or not. Most guys just touch 1st. Some guys round the bases.

Isn't the only runner that counts is the guy from 3rd to home and given that the ball was hit over the fence.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
We were down six runs in the bottom of the 7th,

we tie the score and have runners on 2nd and 3rd one out. They walk the 2 hitter to load the bases 3 hitter hits a Hr over the fence.

Runner from third crosses home hitter touches first.

Team we played argued that the runners from 2nd to 3rd and 1st to 2nd did not touch the bases.

What is the right call here? The UMPS let the players decide if you hit a HR if you want to round the bags or not. Most guys just touch 1st. Some guys round the bases.

Isn't the only runner that counts is the guy from 3rd to home and given that the ball was hit over the fence.

Barring any local rules saying otherwise...

Once the batter hits a home run or a 4 base award, the runners do not need to run the bases. If the runners want to run the bases, they can. However, no appeals should be honored for any missed base(s).

In your case, I have a home run, and all 4 runs count.

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
IMO it should only matter that the runner on 3rd touched home, and the batter touched first, once that happens, it's the bottom of the 7th, the game is over, go home, they lost. Who cares what else happens, that one run counts, and there's only one run needed with a tie game, bottom of the 7th to win, that was it

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
IMO it should only matter that the runner on 3rd touched home, and the batter touched first, once that happens, it's the bottom of the 7th, the game is over, go home, they lost. Who cares what else happens, that one run counts, and there's only one run needed with a tie game, bottom of the 7th to win, that was it

I'm pretty sure in baseball (I know we aren't talking baseball, but if talking about associations where required to run) you appeal for missing the bags as a "force" play. Double play, run doesn't count, inning over.

clemente24

OG BOOBIE WATCHER
I'm pretty sure in baseball (I know we aren't talking baseball, but if talking about associations where required to run) you appeal for missing the bags as a "force" play. Double play, run doesn't count, inning over.

Ball is over the fence, you can't go get it :wtf2:

What part of ...... on a homerun or 4 base award the runners do not have to touch any bases. Once the ball touches the ground outside the outfield fence all runs count.
. Did you not understand
How Did the appeal workout On the Misapplication of rules

clemente24

OG BOOBIE WATCHER
What part of ...... on a homerun or 4 base award the runners do not have to touch any bases. Once the ball touches the ground outside the outfield fence all runs count.
. Did you not understand
How Did the appeal workout On the Misapplication of rules

The team protested aking the umps to make a decision, one up said that the runner from 2nd to third did not touch he was out but he did not see the runner from first to 2nd touch.

Basically the umps were going to award a DP.

It was for first place in our division and as far as I know the other team is protesting.

We beat them 24-1 the first game.

rejones28

Phat Daddy!
Just depends if your league has a rule stating that the runners have to touch the next bag then the other team was right. I play in a league that has this rule, pretty stupid if you ask me and just wastes time.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Send those umps to Irish's or NC's boot camp. Problem solved :biggthumpup:

I have never had an umpire come back from a FP or SP NC, from 10U to WCOS; Men's E to Hooters & ISF World Cup without a very good or better evaluation. BTW, that would include over 56 nationals.

You are correct, our umpires WILL get it right by rule & mechanic of the applicable association, not the perception of the teams or other umpires. :)

sjury

The Old Man

Dead ball appeal.

BTW... EdFred, even on a dead ball appeal, it is just that, a dead ball appeal, not a force play. Run still counts, game over either way, and they win again.

ABLXTRA

veteran
if it is hit the HR and sit, runners do not have to touch next base. if the rule is you must touch next base then a dead ball appeal can occur. I play in leagues that use both rules.

sjury

The Old Man
A dead ball appeal does nothing here. The runner from third touched home, the game is over. Even if you get the runners out on the dead ball appeal, which shouldn't be allowed, the run still scores.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
BTW... EdFred, even on a dead ball appeal, it is just that, a dead ball appeal, not a force play. Run still counts, game over either way, and they win again.
A dead ball appeal does nothing here. The runner from third touched home, the game is over. Even if you get the runners out on the dead ball appeal, which shouldn't be allowed, the run still scores.
This is USSSA but I think ASA has a similar rule:
Sec. 6. A RUN SHALL NOT BE SCORED if the third out of an inning is the result of:
A. the batter-runner being put out legally before touching first base.
B. A base runner being forced out at any base.
C. A base runner being called out for leaving a base too soon on a pitched ball.
D. A preceding base runner being called out for failure to touch a base.
E. The batter-runner being called out for carrying his bat to first base or beyond.

sjury

The Old Man
pre·cede
priˈsēd/ verb gerund or present participle: preceding
1. come before (something) in time.

No one PRECEDES the runner from third to home.

This rule says no run is scored if the preceding runner is out, so in this case the runners on first and the batter-runner could not score if you had to run it out, but the runner on third still scores, so tie game runner from third scores, they win again!!! Everything else is immaterial, the game is over.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

What do you mean by the bold portion of this statement? Are you saying a DBA cannot involve a force out? I certainly hope not.

sjury

The Old Man
No I was referring to EdFred saying you dead ball appeal as a force play, double play no run score. There is no force play in this incidence. I may have worded it incorrectly.