What do you do when your wife is pissed that you're playing too much?

Have a situation. Wife says I'm playing too much and is almost to a point of making me chose between her and playing ball. Any of you guys ever have a similar situation and how did you resolve it? I love my wife and she never seemed to have too many issues with me playing when we were dating but I also love playing ball and don't want to stop. I need to find a healthy balance but not sure how to keep her happy. Any suggestions?

Atiyeh

BP Hero
Get her input on a balance. It's all about compromise, at the end of the day it's just a game and you aren't being paid to play. I have to remind myself of the same things from time to time.

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
im sorta in your situation i told her the other night...u knew what you were getting into and that i have no problem compromising but no way in hell an i giving it up since im so young an able to compete at a high level

B~TOWN

Addicted to Softballfans
Wife > Softball How many night a week do you play ? I use to play on 5 teams 4 nights a week and hit bp a few times a week to wife hated it now I hit bp once a week and play on 2 teams and she never says anything about me playing or buying bats for that matter .

oppo

Coach
Within reason, your wife should want you to continue doing something that makes you happy, especially since you get a little excercise out of it too. Has she ever played or do you think she would want too? I encouraged my wife to start playing and now, one night a week is coed.

niteshadow

Addicted to Softballfans
My wife hates it, and Ive had to cut down on the nights per week I was playing. I found it was worth it to keep the wife happy and not have all the drama.

Coonass

Addicted to Softballfans
You married your wife not your softball buddies. You need to come up with a compromise esp. if you have kids involved.

The key to staying happily married is to not do anything you wouldn't want her doing. How would you feel if you shared a different interest and she was out playing your softball schedule?

Strawberry

Shin Killer
Happening to me all the time. I told her I don't spend money of drugs, bars, or strippers. I don't smoke. I don't go to a gym to workout. The money and time I spend on softball is like my gym membership. Get over it.

bis25

Throwin hunnits
Can't make a decision without the noodz. Please send :p

My wife bitches constantly at me playing. Our leagues are so expensive anyway that I limit myself to 1 league during the week and tournies 2x a month.

Of course from time to time, I use this line: "so and so needs a guy tonight and he has helped me out in the past, so Im going to play"

I play on Tues and Thurs night league and pickup here and there on Mon and Wed nights. Then I play 2-3 tourneys a month on weekends. This week was especially tough for her I suppose because my reg Tues league also had a makeup game on Mon, and then I played last night as a pickup. I have a reg league game tonight but probably won't play to spend time with her tonight. My tournament team has an Ironman this weekend that I really want to play in and we are by far the best team in it so very winnable tourney. Next weekend is Utrip State but we have a wedding to go to. Just trying to keep her happy but I love playing and it gets addicting, the more I play, I want to play even more. I would gladly give up league ball during the week because I love tourney ball much more.

junski

Addicted to Softballfans
You should tell her would you rather me play softball, or be at the bar around other women!! That worked for me good luck. :)

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
I got lucky and found a girl that grew up at the softball field because her dad played as much as I do. She likes being at the field watching as much as I like playing. 3/4 nights a week. Tournaments atleast 3 weekends a month. Like a guy said earlier, I dont gamble, do drugs, smoke (although I do dip lol) or spend money on other dumb stuff. I like to play ball. She also plays coed so we get to play together one night a week and occasionally tournaments. We dont have any kids in the mix though.

Bottom line, find a compromise. But if you were a ball player before she came along, she shouldnt make you pick, thats for sure.

The crazy thing is, she is the reason I started playing ball more often. She played fastpitch in high school and was playing coed regularly when we met. I started to play coed with her, but once I found men's leagues, I started to hate coed more and more. Then she tore her knee up and stopped playing so I stopped playing coed. But then I started playing more men's leagues, 2-3 a week. Then I started playing tourney ball and I think that's when the problems started. She hates that I dedicate an entire weekend or at least a Saturday to playing ball when she's off work and we could do stuff together that we both enjoy.

I played baseball all through high school and a little in Junior College but never found something that I enjoyed as much until I started playing softball and specifically men's softball. Maybe I could get her back into playing coed and we could play coed league one night a week together.

hacker72

Addicted to Softballfans
Happy wife, Happy Life!!!!!!

Thank goodness mine actually likes to watch and go to my games, no matter how many or few!!

ESI

Coach
After 20 years of marriage, and 6 kids. She pretty much says," you have a game tonight, right". I didn't play for around 10 years as the kids had their time to shine, and their daddy time. Wife almost pushes me to go play with my friends every night now. It is all about balance and compromise. I compromised those 10 years, we stayed balanced, and now it is my time again. We have been there bro.

Gennaro23

Addicted to Softballfans
Bottom line, find a compromise. But if you were a ball player before she came along, she shouldnt make you pick, thats for sure.

This is the goods right here.

I've been married, divorced, moved on, new chick knew I played ball...first time we met, I was on my way to ball...she knew what was up...I cut off a few nights of ball playing 2 nights + tourneys...she's happy as can be...plus if she really needs my help on league nights and I miss...I still hit a HOMERUN that night :D:D

Blaxima-2

Addicted to Softballfans
Happy Wife, Happy Life.... My wife is preg with our 2nd & my son is almost 2. I have to agree with the compromise. Im playing 3-4 nights a week & working 60 hours. Make other sacrifices. Cut the lawn when she sleeps to increase family time etc. This is my last season playing this much. (2) young kids is going to be a lot & its goinna to be difficult when the boy has activities of his own. Next season I plan on playing 1 team and last minute subbing on the others. In addition I'll cut down on my time at the field. (not go early or stay late sucking beers)

I'm hoping that I can find a compromise that will be acceptable to her. She calls it selfishness but I think that's a little harsh and strong. I think cutting down on league nights and having a firm limit on tourneys a month might help.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
This issue usually comes down to someone being selfish (when it doesn't involve children), because let's be real there is no issue at all with anyone playing a (reasonable) amount of softball. It seems split between the men and women. Some guys are either too stupid to realize they're neglecting their wives, or they have wives that are life-blood draining bitches. Figure out which one is the issue first. If it's you causing the problem, consider yourself lucky and fix it. If it's your wife.....you're ****ed....because it's not even about softball, it's about control. At least my wife can control me by keeping me on a softball field. :)

If you have younger kids, softball shouldn't be a priority in your life and your wife doesn't want to take care of them week in and week out while you're out having fun with the boys. work it out man. communication, compromise, all that fun stuff.

Kramit

The crazy thing is, she is the reason I started playing ball more often. She played fastpitch in high school and was playing coed regularly when we met. I started to play coed with her, but once I found men's leagues, I started to hate coed more and more. Then she tore her knee up and stopped playing so I stopped playing coed. But then I started playing more men's leagues, 2-3 a week. Then I started playing tourney ball and I think that's when the problems started. She hates that I dedicate an entire weekend or at least a Saturday to playing ball when she's off work and we could do stuff together that we both enjoy.

MAYBE stop or slow down on tournaments. Women just want attention and to feel loved.

murc

Fringe benefits of making your woman happy > $20 tee-shirt. I don't care how good you are or how much softball means to you, she's more important. If you whole-heartedly disagree with that, maybe being married just isn't for you right now.

TeamPlayer25

Addicted to Softballfans
Some guys are either too stupid to realize they're neglecting their wives, or they have wives that are life-blood draining bitches. Figure out which one is the issue first. If it's you causing the problem, consider yourself lucky and fix it. If it's your wife.....you're ****ed....because it's not even about softball, it's about control.

If you have younger kids, softball shouldn't be a priority in your life and your wife doesn't want to take care of them week in and week out while you're out having fun with the boys. work it out man. communication, compromise, all that fun stuff.

kwoted for da troof.
when mine starts complaining about me playing softball, I just walk out of the kitchen so I can't hear her anymore. yeah, right :rolleyes:

beernbombs

Abby's dad
Take care of dinner on nights your not playing during the week. Don't come home too drunk to even take a shower. If it's tourneys she's complaining about, give up ball during the week.

Fringe benefits of making your woman happy > $20 tee-shirt. I don't care how good you are or how much softball means to you, she's more important. If you whole-heartedly disagree with that, maybe being married just isn't for you right now.

I don't disagree, just wish I could find a way to keep her happy while doing something I really love to do.