What is the best glove size for a slowpitch SS?

jrockdog

Splittin Gaps
used each of the following over the years for SS
  • Rawlings 504 - 12.5
  • ProRv23 - 12.25
  • GGE70 - 12.75 played like a 12.25
  • 1781 - 12.25
Preferred the 504 overall

Country469

the bigger the glove the better;

the ball will hit your glove and not be caught far more than you will ever not be able to find a 12" softball in a double play transfer.

If a softball glove was proportional to a baseball glove in the same ratio of baseball to softball 12" : 9" middle infielders would need to wear gloves bigger than anyone makes for softball.

CajunDude

the bigger the glove the better;

the ball will hit your glove and not be caught far more than you will ever not be able to find a 12" softball in a double play transfer.

If a softball glove was proportional to a baseball glove in the same ratio of baseball to softball 12" : 9" middle infielders would need to wear gloves bigger than anyone makes for softball.

Totally disagree here. It's not just about trying to turn a double play but being able to get the ball out of the pocket quickly on just about every time you touch it. Cut off throws, ground balls, etc..... An extra inch or two isn't going to really help you reach ground balls that you couldn't before.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I think 12.75 to 13" gloves are perfect. You can play any position with them and it isn't too much glove. 14" gloves seem far too large. Then you get some guys who wear the 15" clown gloves. Those are ridiculous.

mizunoguy

Softball Whore
Your preference. I've seen some really good short stops play with a 14 inch and I've seen some really good ones play with an 11.5 inch. I play with a 11 3/4.

What he said! Not sure if it helps, but I'm currently using a 13" for all infield positions until I break in my 12.5. Go with what is comfortable to you.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Sound like a bunch of women talking about shoes.

"Oh the 12 9/16 is far too large for SS, 12 5/16 makes for a much quicker transfer, critical for throwing out the wheezing fatty shuffling his way to 1st"

Nah son, anything less than the best is a felony and I go big.

Party mafia

Sound like a bunch of women talking about shoes.

"Oh the 12 9/16 is far too large for SS, 12 5/16 makes for a much quicker transfer, critical for throwing out the wheezing fatty shuffling his way to 1st"

Nah son, anything less than the best is a felony and I go big.

is that a 15" glove? Go big or go home. lol

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
It's over 20", don't remember the exact measurement, I wear 3xl batting gloves and that's a 12" ball for reference.

Far as OP's question goes, most of the SS's I've played with or sold gloves to use gloves 12.5-12.75" actual measurement. Meaning their gloves are stamped as 12.75 or 13.

Party mafia

It's over 20", don't remember the exact measurement, I wear 3xl batting gloves and that's a 12" ball for reference.

Far as OP's question goes, most of the SS's I've played with or sold gloves to use gloves 12.5-12.75" actual measurement. Meaning their gloves are stamped as 12.75 or 13.
you can catch a basketball with your vinci glove .lol

Country469

Totally disagree here. It's not just about trying to turn a double play but being able to get the ball out of the pocket quickly on just about every time you touch it. Cut off throws, ground balls, etc..... An extra inch or two isn't going to really help you reach ground balls that you couldn't before.

its not about ground balls. I counted 5 balls in one league game last night that hit a glove and popped out. If you have trouble finding a 12 inch ball in a glove, its because you have bad form or are clumsy. Or your hands are child sized. Good middle infielders don't worry about that nonsense.

Twiles

The Rookie
I currently have a 12.5" & 12.75" vinci and until this year I was using my 12" boombah and had no issues. Good hands are way more important then just glove size IMO. I still use my 12" from time to time, sometimes it's difficult to "feel the ball" if I snowcone one in a larger glove, making me unsure if in have the ball. This coming from a baseball player that loves a smaller glove & having to get used to the bigger ones.

defos

I played SS for years using a 12.5 and always thought that was ideal. I play 3rd now with a Rawlings PROS27 Trap web that's supposedly 12.75, but seems slightly smaller. Excellent glove for me at 3rd, but I've used it at 2nd a few games and it doesn't feel right for there, fielding softer hit balls and taking throws, but that's more about that particular glove than the size. I have a PROS601 Trap web that I'd have no problem using just about anywhere. That glove seems to open wider and is maybe truer to marked size than the other even though I can't see any difference in the pattern between the PROS27 and the PROS601. Just different gloves and different leather.

And for the record, I'm not a big Trap-Eze web fan. Just happen to get the PROS27 for a super price (essentially new, $98, Pittard's liner, and it's a different color than any other ProPreferred I've ever seen). I liked it, and later bought the PROS601.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
51Kkh3QfKGL__46692.1429503828.1280.1280_zpsri4xafpr.jpg
51pkPvWpUAL__24475.1429481274.500.750_zps03gsn0ya.jpg

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
I usually play middle IF or 3rd. The H-web is my current glove and the mod-trap is my previous. It's all about the pocket, never mind the glove size. Straight out of high school I was playing 3rd base with my Pedro Martinez 11.5 mod-trap and I was fine it was just rough on the hand with the bigger ball. The Super Z just has an enormous pocket and it doesn't bruise my palm is all if not I'd still be using my PROS-17ICB, I'm more fragile as the years go by

IMG_0218.jpg

tonyjohnson619

I am not a baller so I only have one glove and it's a 13... I play everywhere but so and pitcher and have no problems with a 13... I would love to pick up a a couple nicer gloves then my 50 dollar ****'s special but my 2 yr old son don't allow that to happen

defos

I am not a baller so I only have one glove and it's a 13... I play everywhere but so and pitcher and have no problems with a 13... I would love to pick up a a couple nicer gloves then my 50 dollar ****'s special but my 2 yr old son don't allow that to happen

Been there most of my life.

CajunDude

its not about ground balls. I counted 5 balls in one league game last night that hit a glove and popped out. If you have trouble finding a 12 inch ball in a glove, its because you have bad form or are clumsy. Or your hands are child sized. Good middle infielders don't worry about that nonsense.

Come on man, do you even play the IF? I never said you wouldn't be able to find the ball in the pocket but, if there's less glove to worry about, it makes it easier. It's not like I have to go rummaging around in my glove to get the ball. I've used a larger glove in the IF and to me, the smaller glove is easier and better for the necessary quick transfers and transition from catch to throw in the IF.

And those 5 ground balls in one league game that hit a glove and popped out wouldn't have been any different with an extra 1/2 to 1 inch of glove my friend. The tip of the web gets less rigid the bigger the web so...... if you can't field it cleanly, you can't field it cleanly. Just sayin......

Bob21

Nothing under 12 . Also take into account your skill level specially at ss. If you have good range you can make up the difference of using a bigger glove. A lot about oreference baseball guys prefer using their own smaller gloves they played with l. I personally use a 12 for ss and second and have no problems

Alacey303

Thanks for all of the input guys. I think part of my problem is that I finally decided to measure my stamped 12" Nokona and it measured out at 11.25". Even if I was off by 1/4", still a pretty small mitt for slowpitch softball.

Country469

Come on man, do you even play the IF? I never said you wouldn't be able to find the ball in the pocket but, if there's less glove to worry about, it makes it easier. It's not like I have to go rummaging around in my glove to get the ball. I've used a larger glove in the IF and to me, the smaller glove is easier and better for the necessary quick transfers and transition from catch to throw in the IF.

And those 5 ground balls in one league game that hit a glove and popped out wouldn't have been any different with an extra 1/2 to 1 inch of glove my friend. The tip of the web gets less rigid the bigger the web so...... if you can't field it cleanly, you can't field it cleanly. Just sayin......

i've heard enough old baseball hero stories now. What level SS do you play, just curious here? Maybe you aren't used to balls coming at you in gas form where you need all the glove you can get. Watch the border battle coming up and tell me how many 11.5 " gloves you see? The bottom line is an extra inch will only help. I've yeat to hear any valid reasons why not to go bigger.

WillW3

Starting Player
Started using a 13.5 and won't ever go back to anything else. Transfer to me is more about hand quickness, not the glove

blakcherry329

I play in a few Latino Leagues and it kills me how many players still use baseball size gloves. Don't get me wrong, they are great ball players but they make so many errors or just barely miss a ball, just because of the size of the glove. Hardly anyone uses a glove over 12". Most are using 2B gloves 11.25-11.5".

Very frustrating.

CajunDude

i've heard enough old baseball hero stories now. What level SS do you play, just curious here? Maybe you aren't used to balls coming at you in gas form where you need all the glove you can get. Watch the border battle coming up and tell me how many 11.5 " gloves you see? The bottom line is an extra inch will only help. I've yeat to hear any valid reasons why not to go bigger.

So, first and foremost, I haven't tried to tell you any "old baseball hero stories" dude so check yourself. I've played SS from C down so I've had shots hit at me my friend.
Point 2 - I never said anything about an 11.5" glove did I? Show me where I did - yep, that's what I thought, never said that. I use a 12 1/2" now and it works best for me.
Point 3 - the guy who started this asked about moving from his 12" to 12 1/2" and my recommendation is to go for it. To me, 13" or larger is too much for middle infield. That's my opinion and if you don't like it or agree, that's fine, I really don't give a crap. The guys asked for opinions and I'm giving him mine. I'm pretty sure you're not the ultimate expert on this but you're damn sure acting like it. It seems that there are other guys in this thread that leans my way - 12 1/2" - 12 3/4" so, find someone else to go off on my friend.

And finally - exactly what does "the bigger the better" mean man? That's the only piece of advice you've provided. Everyone else has offered up various sizes that work best for them or that they are comfortable with. Yet, all you've got is "The bigger the glove, the better". So insightful.