ASA What would you call if anything?

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
R1 on 3rd base, R2 and 2nd base, R3 on 1st base with 1 out. B4 hits a screaming line drive down the 3rd base line. The batted ball strikes R1 while in contact with 3rd base. The ball immediately deflects to F5 who is just behind and to the 2nd base side of 3rd base. Upon catching the deflected ball F5 immediately throws to F3 who steps on 1st base before R3 can return (Live ball appeal.) What do you rule?

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
did the ball hit the runner in fair or foul territory? Either way, I believe it is a dead ball, all runners advance 1 base?

ureout

The Veteran
since you said the ball was hit down the 3rd base line and since the 3rd base line is fair territory then the runner must have been in fair territory when it hit him... I have a dead ball since it did not pass a fielder who could make a play on it.. batter is awarded 1st base and all runners advance 1 base that are forced to advance

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Dead ball as soon as it strikes the runner (assuming the ball hit the runner while in fair territory). All runners advance 1 base. No one is out.

blakcherry329

Well, #1. I would have synced up the number syntax. R1 w/runner on 1st and so on. #2. just say Batter, not B4. what is the significance of the # 4? #3. Use position instead of F #'s. Just as easy to write SS or 2B, etc.
Just my opinion. your opinion may vary.;)

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
This is the way scenarios are listed in the rule book, the case book and at the clinics I've attended. B4 may be obvious in this scenario, but if the scenario describes batting out of order, the batter number makes it much easier to read. Same thing with runners. If two runners end up at 3rd Base on the same play how do you describe which runners are there and which one got to the base first? Much easier to write R1 gets to 3rd base followed by R2. Instead of the runner who started on third went back to third and got to the base slightly before the runner who started on second base.

So in this particular scenario it may make it easier but the way he wrote it makes it easier to follow any rule clarifications and explanations.