What would you do??

ALB_Bones

Philippians 4:13
I'm going to see Dr. Guttman in Taos/Santa Fe. He's the best orthopedic surgeon in the state. Hopefully I have a good outcome. It just an orthoscopic procedure but I've never had any major surgery before so I'm a bit nervous. Glad it's happening after the season though. Have my first appt. with him next Wednesday.

You should be good for the start of next season. Had mine in Nov and could swing a bat with no problem, throwing took a year or so but then I pitched so wasn't a big deal.

cw4262

Manager
I had shoulder surgery 10 years ago after blowing it out pitching in highschool. I did not research the doctor and just went with one the highschool athletic trainer recommended. I was too young and uneducated to know any differently. I went from an 18 year old throwing upper 80's to a 27 year old who needs icy hot and ibuprofen to loosen up my arm. Put very simply, WHATS AN EXTRA 8 HOURS DRIVING, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE?

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
Either find someone on the black market or see if you can youtube/google something and do it yourself. Save the money

Marko13

Have fun driving 51/2 hour after surgery.... Don't they have a good one in el paso?

Thats what im asking.....Im pretty sure EP is closer to Alamogordo than it is Las Cruces.....You should go see a Mescalero in Ruidoso to fix you up.....

firemanbutch

~Brag Post~ ;)
My doc didn't mention anything about El Paso and I didn't think to ask. Besides, Dr. Guttman has a pretty impressive resume and I was told he's the best in this area. If there was a better doc in El Paso, I'm sure he would've mentioned it.

Madsunz

If you can afford to take the time, drive there, etc. I would see the better of the two. If it is a non-throwing shoulder and you know that softball is just a game and if you were unable to come back and still live with yourself, then it doesn't matter which you see. The one close to you is probably good enough if the damage isn't terrible. So, the labrum is torn, but is there a lot of arthritis in the joint? Do you have good space left in the joint? If you have ground hamburger and you want to still play ball just go see the best you can.

I would go see Dr. James Andrews :D, that or go to the Steadman Clinic in Colorodo.

Joker

Drnick.png

Barney

Addicted to Softballfans
I tore my labrum while living in western mass. and went local instead of driving to Boston and it was a mistake. If you don't go to the best it does not only effect softball...I'm sure as you can tell now anything you do with your arms above your head, including sleeping, is painful. I'm still in pain. I can't play outfield anymore because I can not stretch my arm out enough. If I take More than 10 warm up throws it hurts. Make the drive.

Op Power

Addicted to Softballfans
I go to the best possible, I have had my shoulder done once and my ACL twice, the second time I did some driving but it was worth it!!

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm curious as to why you even asked this question , is the drive too far in your opinion ? this is like a no brainer, i would go cross country if someone was known as the best at a surgery that i needed to have. Lucky for me i live between Duke and UNC so i never really have to go too far.

It's not like we're talking about open heart surgery here. This guy bats righty so I'm assuming this is also non-throwing shoulder.

My PT played on my league team with a torn labrum for years. How many visits and follow ups are we talking here? 5.5 hours isn't bad for one surgery, but I had to go see my doc about 6 times when I had my ACL surgery. That's going to suck if this guy is only 1% better than the local guy.

I think you should do some local research, and then do some more that's not through your doctor. Get a second opinion.

R. Boogie

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe check to see which one has worked on athletes. If there is a Div 1 or Minor League teams in the area, give them a call and ask if any of these Dr.'s have treated their athletes.

firemanbutch

~Brag Post~ ;)
Maybe check to see which one has worked on athletes. If there is a Div 1 or Minor League teams in the area, give them a call and ask if any of these Dr.'s have treated their athletes.

Both are current docs for D-1 teams so I guess it's a pretty safe bet with either.

ALB_Bones

The one thing about this surgery is having to sleep sitting up for while, the pain didnt really bother me after the first day, stopped taking the percocets after the first night.

firemanbutch

~Brag Post~ ;)
I don't think so since most of us will be up there for the Enchilada. We were planning on going to West Coed worlds when we thought it was in AZ but its in Vegas this year.

We're trying to get a team together for the Vegas tourney too but not sure if it will pan out. We'll have to get together when you come down for the Enchilada. You guys playing C or D?

ALB_Bones

We're trying to get a team together for the Vegas tourney too but not sure if it will pan out. We'll have to get together when you come down for the Enchilada. You guys playing C or D?

Not to sure what division or if playing, waiting for a couple things to pan out on that, but girls from coed team are playing C so if anything going to hang out and have some beers watching them.