Need Help When selling a bat, what do you guys do for insurance?

bpierce208

Addicted to Softballfans
In dealing with someone lately they told me they never insure for more than the free $50 that comes with USPS Priority Mail. Is this common practice? I always insure for full value of the bat. What do you guys do? Just interested

jgerb88

MARK IT 0!!
Depends on how much im selling the item for. $1-$100 I usually just take the standard $50. If it's $100+ then ill add more

bpierce208

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, I guess obviously if it's under $50 you're not gonna add insurance to it...If it were over $70 I think I would. Over $100 absolutely and every time.

trip

stfu
I roll the dice. but I also tape the ever living **** out of my boxes so there's no way to get it open without a box cutter or an acetelyne torch. but I've also got $200 to cover the **** if it gets lost. and that $200 is worth it to me not to have to go deal with whoever I use to ship it for an insurance claim

Joker

insurance protects the shipper, do whatever you want but don't ***** if it gets lost and you have the eat the difference in the $50 included insurance

i typically add insurance if its over $100

AJ22

Super Moderator
Seller's choice correct?

However, if Buyer does not receive what was paid for, the full amount is reimbursed to the Buyer and the Seller deals with the insurance.

I personally insure for what the value of the item sold is.

curveball

Addicted to Softballfans
Sold 100's of items here and eBay, no insurance, no problems ever. Always use delivery confirmation. Saved enough in ins. fees over the years that if an item is lost, I feel I can afford to cover it out of pocket. So far, I'm way ahead.

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
Sold 100's of items here and eBay, no insurance, no problems ever. Always use delivery confirmation. Saved enough in ins. fees over the years that if an item is lost, I feel I can afford to cover it out of pocket. So far, I'm way ahead.

Same boat here. I self insure....I'd rather suck it up and just come back out of pocket if things went sour.

I feel this way cause of previous claims with USPS. It takes forever to even hear back from them, and it's usually a BS excuse and you lose anyway, so just save $, suck it up, and self insure

bird25

34/30 Club #25
Same boat here. I self insure....I'd rather suck it up and just come back out of pocket if things went sour.

I feel this way cause of previous claims with USPS. It takes forever to even hear back from them, and it's usually a BS excuse and you lose anyway, so just save $, suck it up, and self insure

Interesting. do you require signature confirmation as well?

I insure at a minimum of $200 up to the full value of the item. Something about them not leaving a package if it insured for over $200:confused:

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year

DO not listen to these people.

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
Why's that?

He asked what we do, I choose to self insure. I (key word there) would rather suck it up and come out of pocket. The drawn out process of a claim you'll lose anyway, isn't worth it to me (another key word)

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
How's it wrong, if it's my choice to self insure???

The buyer has no clue if I insure or not. He shouldn't care, as it will be taken care of regardless

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
lols. OK, you got your +2-3 posts in the thread.

At the end of the day, who should care, other than myself? Thread asked what everyone does.

Trip does basically the same thing, but you're not riding his nuts.

But if you did, it would be plus a couple more posts, so........

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
Why's that?

He asked what we do, I choose to self insure. I (key word there) would rather suck it up and come out of pocket. The drawn out process of a claim you'll lose anyway, isn't worth it to me (another key word)

Play russian roulette much? It's a very bad idea is why. You may think the process is long and drawn out, but at least you get the money. You can deal how you see fit, but I don't condone it.

dbantz

Manager
I've always insured for the sell price of the bat. Be careful with FedEx though, I had one broken in transit and they denied my claim after a month of back and forth. It was a used z2+ I sold for around 200 and they said I didn't show enough proof for the value of it even though I faxed a copy of an original receipt, listings from the bay, and facebook sales posts. I wouldn't think it would be a problem with newer bats still being sold new though.

mihklo

I always insure myself as well.

But I don't see why guys are getting bashed if they choose not to if they know they're gonna be eating the cost if something goes wrong. Now if they didn't add insurance and tell the buyer he's sol then that would be some bull****

For me it's for peace of mind.

sjury

The Old Man
I insure the item for replacement value. Even if I ship a 2009 Easton Reveal that I paid the guy to take, I insure it for $300. I've never had an issue, and I think it's because I have it insured.

Sad to say, but hundreds of bats are lost every year, which is amazing, because when I worked in small package shipping for 7 years shipping dozens of items a day we lost one package, and had two damaged, so how bats get lost more than every other item in the world is beyond me. I'd bet 99% are not insured, and then it's the poor me, I don't have $200 just sitting around to pay the buyer back.

Insure your stuff, unless you keep the funds in your PayPal available for the loss of the item.

bpierce208

Addicted to Softballfans
I asked this a long time ago because I bought a bat from a gentleman who did not insure and I was surprised. I know I've always insured for full value. I understand what some people are saying about working out in your favor, but I hate putting that much trust in the USPS to not lose a bat or 2.