Where did the bat go?

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
We played the other night and the batter for the other team got pi$$ed at himself for popping out and as he made his way to first (not sure if he touched the bag or not), "mysteriously" his bat ends up 30 feet past 1st base. Both umpires both said they never saw the guy throw the bat, but how else would it end up that far past the bag (in foul territory and is the same bat that was used in the at bat)? The umpires did nothing to the bat or the player or anything. We just continued to play ball. What would be a ruling here? Mind you, we play NSA.
Thanks

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
that is what my question too -- what do you want the umps to do?

Where there any people that were endangered by the action?

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
I'm just questioning if something should have been done? If there isn't a rule on this, in theory, I could do the same every time. No one was in immediate danger, but say a base coach was in the way or the fielder came to catch a pop fly in that direction and he bat landed where it did and hit the fielder or he tripped/stepped on it? Lots of variables that could have happened, just seeing if there is a rule on this though.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
There is no rule for calling him out on the thrown bat unless it causes interference. If the umpire judges it was an unsportsmanlike act he can be ejected after the play is over. His substitute can take his place on the bases.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
As long as he didn't throw it AT someone (and there isn't even a specific rule for that btw) I don't much care. Pretty standard meathead behavior.

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
Gotcha. I asked the umpire (because I'm a smart@$$ and we all know each other) before my next at bat that if I threw my bat over the dugout what would happen. He just gave me a blank stare.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
If I toss someone, it's because I know and saw/heard exactly what happened, and can clearly explain to someone else why it is that player deserved to go. I won't guess, I won't suppose, I won't take people's word for it. I will give players the benefit of the doubt as much as I can, and I will only toss players whose presence is taking away from the game as a whole.

Would I have tossed that guy? Probably not. I'd certainly give his coach an earful about keeping his players under control.

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
Might I also add that the player stopped at the dugout area which is right by first base. If the bat goes 30 feet past that, I would love for someone to prove to me that the bat grew legs and walked down there. I just didn't know what/if there was a rule on this, so I came to you guys. In my mind, I can't justify a bat going that far past first base and someone not get at least a warning or something.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Might I also add that the player stopped at the dugout area which is right by first base. If the bat goes 30 feet past that, I would love for someone to prove to me that the bat grew legs and walked down there. I just didn't know what/if there was a rule on this, so I came to you guys. In my mind, I can't justify a bat going that far past first base and someone not get at least a warning or something.

Nor I. I'll be honest, I'd have to see it happen for me to call it. However, where I call, we almost always have two umpires on the field. Someone would definitely see it.

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
Haha... you would think that with 2 umpires it would get caught. Not in this case. There were 2 and neither "saw" anything.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
Umpires aren't generally watching the player who's been put out and about to enter the dugout. And like NCASAUmp said, hard to toss someone for something you didn't see.

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
I have, just wanted to have this in my pocket for later if it happens again, I know what the ruling should be. Thanks for the help guys.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you can be ejected for dropping an f bomb you absolutely should be ejected for throwing your bat imo. That is one thing that irks me.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Both umpires both said they never saw the guy throw the bat,

Well, WTF do you expect them to do? Penalize someone for something no one saw?

I would love for someone to prove to me that the bat grew legs and walked down there

I'm pretty sure your 1st baseman threw it.

Last edited:

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
Well, I came her asking if there was a rule on throwing a bat. It's the same bat used in the at bat. Can you explain to us how that bat got there since he was the one to use it? Also, no need to be an @$$hat... it's obvious he threw the bat down the baseline. If you have @$$holish comments, keep them to yourself. Have a nice day!

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
I'm good, actually. Not hostile or anything. I'm calm as can be. I don't appreciate someone who comes in a thread and wants to be an @$$hat is all. I didn't know the rule, so I asked. Plain and simple. It was actually cleared up already and we had all moved on. But not this guy... so, again, everyone have a nice day.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
VCFBQ38.gif

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
Not my first rodeo, and won't be the last either. If you want to troll on someone, how about giving these a try?!

Troll-Dolls-troll-dolls-1353645-500-296.jpg

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
No mouth kisses please. Haha... it's been a crappy week. Sorry if I came off as more of a tool than needed.

beewalk

We played the other night and the batter for the other team got pi$$ed at himself for popping out and as he made his way to first (not sure if he touched the bag or not), "mysteriously" his bat ends up 30 feet past 1st base. Both umpires both said they never saw the guy throw the bat, but how else would it end up that far past the bag (in foul territory and is the same bat that was used in the at bat)? The umpires did nothing to the bat or the player or anything. We just continued to play ball. What would be a ruling here? Mind you, we play NSA.
Thanks
haha.. lol