Who makes .40/375s?

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Without getting into my personal feelings on it, some of the local tournaments have responded to the bitching about .52s by going to .40/375s, because that's apparently "lower performance" in 45° Wisconsin nights. :rolleyes:

So to the point -- who the hell makes these anymore?

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
I know, I think it's asinine, but it is what it is. Personally I think you're terrible if the .52 changes your apparent skill level.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
Our spring and fall league is using 40/375's for the same reason :rolleyes:.... although some of us heard a rumor it was also because the LD accidentally ordered a gross (thinking they were 44/375) and decided to make the whole league use them, but had to buy their own balls. He claims that in his experience, they're "deader" than the 44's and would be "safer". Whatever. He said he needs to buy some 52/300's and BP them to see how they are.

Anyways, I've only been able to find Dudley's and only at one website (which I can't name here obviously). They are on sale though.

tattooball

No one should be making them. None of the .40/375 balls pass the dynamic stiffness test and are much more dangerous than any .44 or .52.

No one should be making them. None of the .40/375 balls pass the dynamic stiffness test and are much more dangerous than any .44 or .52.

I don't know what you mean by "dangerous". The top .44's and the old multi-layers came off the bats significantly faster than .40/375's. That's why leagues used them. Do you mean infield hops or something else? :wtf2:

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
That's exactly why I think it's asinine. '13 bats allowed, no days over 50° here, HR limits...shooting gallery.

Somehow people got the idea that they're "only 40 cor" balls, and since .40 < .44 they're limited performance. Don't ask me what kind of mental gymnastics they do to explain why .52 isn't >> .40, I don't get it. I think the confusion has to do with the old .53 cor Red Dots being far superior to any .44/375 ever, and wrongly assuming it was the reduction in cor that made the majority of the difference.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't know what you mean by "dangerous". The top .44's and the old multi-layers came off the bats significantly faster than .40/375's. That's why leagues used them. Do you mean infield hops or something else? :wtf2:

They're more susceptible to temperature changes, and the lower CoR means they'll sit on the walls of a bat fractionally longer, which allows for a more efficient energy transfer.

Multilayers, maybe, but no other top .44 would even match up to cheap Reebok .40s on a 50° Wisconsin evening.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans

I don't think anyone is making them anymore, but you can still buy them for now. Another reason I told our LD to switch balls because before long you won't be able to find them anywhere.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
That's exactly why I think it's asinine. '13 bats allowed, no days over 50° here, HR limits...shooting gallery.

Somehow people got the idea that they're "only 40 cor" balls, and since .40 < .44 they're limited performance. Don't ask me what kind of mental gymnastics they do to explain why .52 isn't >> .40, I don't get it. I think the confusion has to do with the old .53 cor Red Dots being far superior to any .44/375 ever, and wrongly assuming it was the reduction in cor that made the majority of the difference.

They probably also don't understand that the compression probably has more effect on safety than the cor.

ATL Rookie

Manager
We use these balls in league. Dudley makes them and they are absolute rocks.

Surprisingly, we changed to these balls from 52/300's because according to our LD, the Hycons were causing too many injuries with bad hops.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
We use these balls in league. Dudley makes them and they are absolute rocks. .

Maybe as non-association balls since ASA is exclusively using 52/300 now (although the ones I just bought had the ASA stamp on them but they were probably old stock and that's why they were on sale)....

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
In hours of hitting them I've never seen any more irregular hops. I think everyone is equating "big" with "bad".

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Our Berekely Ca league still uses them. They are Dudley Thunder SY with the ASA stamp. These 40/375s absolutely destroy singlewall bats. I would much rather use 52/300s in our singlewall league.

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gonna be some absolute pissles hit with them 40 cors in sub 60 weather...
As for the Hycons, yes they're bouncier on the infield, but you get used to them, Though I have delivered some wicked English

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Beamons, Ripon, Omro AFAIK. In part I just wish they'd stick with .44s if they want to use 375s, cuz they're less of a pain in the ass to get.

ATL Rookie

Manager
Gonna be some absolute pissles hit with them 40 cors in sub 60 weather...
As for the Hycons, yes they're bouncier on the infield, but you get used to them, Though I have delivered some wicked English

I have about 2 dozen 52's in my BP bag, some of the nastiest knuckling line drives I have ever seen were hit with those balls.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Imo the 40/375 are just as good as 44/375 these are what we have used in leagues for years and still use some from time to time.. we usally start with 2 new 52's per game and if they go over the fence the umps stary pulling out the old stock ie 40-44/375. Btw if anyone is looking for 40/375 dudley thunder sy lmk i have several dozen in excellent shape will sell per two dzn minimum .

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Im no ball expert :rolleyes: but isn't there acceptable room for error when manufacturing so 40 and 44 aren't so different?

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes...and?

Arguing manufacturing tolerances does me no good when the tournament is "hit your own .40/375". That's why I wish they'd just stay with .44s if they're hellbent on using 375s -- for performing no different, at least those are easy to find.

rainbow warrior

Addicted to Softballfans
So from what I'm hearing from you guys is that .40 .375 and .44 .375 balls are not so different from one another?
So what makes our .40 .275 balls so lousy?
Is it the low compression that makes it suck?