Why do people swing shaved bats?

I've actually heard it described by people as "Showing up to gun fight holding a knife".....Too big of disadvantage not to have one. The reason, "If they're goint to use one on us, we'll use one too....." So, what started out as ego, that helped win makes other competitive people do it to keep up.

This right here. Honestly when we travel it's a very open topic with teams. It seems as though a lot of people we play admit to it so we feel it's a disadvantage to us. Not trying to start anything, just sharing our experience.

Last edited:

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
This right here. Honestly when we travel it's a very open topic with teams. It seems as though a lot of people we play admit to it so we feel it's a disadvantage to us. Not trying to start anything, just sharing our experiance.

We were in Montana two years ago and team from Pennsylvania was there. They were beating the **** out of our buddies team, "The Boomers" and my friend says, "You guys are swinging dirty." One guy says, "So?" My buddy goes, "That ain't right." The guys shrugged and said, "If you're not.......You're stupid".

I know at least one of my friends said, "I'm getting one of those and going to keep it with me. If I see someone using one on us, I'll pull it out. I'm not telling anyone to swing it......But, it'll be there."

I'm not surprised about it. You do what you have to do to compete, and a team with them, against team without them......Has a giant advantage.

Mudfrog

Addicted to Softballfans
The sad thing is going from Elites to M's was supposed to be because of people shaving their bats, I know more people who shave their bats now because they can't hit an M out but could with an Elite. Kinda backfired on USSSA a little bit.

22kj22

UrMoufSNIFsofFart
Great topic!!!! Lmao!! I'm thinkin in any average ASA league don't swing glass. On the other hand any major tournaments paying out large amounts of money.....hmmmm....bring glass and swing it hard cuz every other team will and when you don't you'll find yourself bitching #1-cuz you just got your ass kicked and #2-you chose not too and just lost your entry fee in two games. Swing em or go home!! Very simple!!

Cubslover

Certified Mother****er
Great topic!!!! Lmao!! I'm thinkin in any average ASA league don't swing glass. On the other hand any major tournaments paying out large amounts of money.....hmmmm....bring glass and swing it hard cuz every other team will and when you don't you'll find yourself bitching #1-cuz you just got your ass kicked and #2-you chose not too and just lost your entry fee in two games. Swing em or go home!! Very simple!!

Sounds like you like to cheat?

I don't swing them and never will. I know some who do and it can be quite sad to watch them.

I'd say almost every team around here has them, some swing nothing but.

It happens and I don't care one way or the other. It doesn't make me look like an ass when you swing glass and still can't go deep.

Last edited:

22kj22

UrMoufSNIFsofFart
Ive used a glass stick in one tournament. I don't cheat and don't appreciate your BS comment. I posted this based on what I have experienced going to major tournaments when we have taken a highly competitive team and been killed several times when teams are obviously swinging glass. So what I am saying is I have been on both sides and I have never swung glass in ASA play.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
The real and tangible things are these:

A bad team swinging them, becomes marginally better

A decent team swinging them becomes fairly good

A good team swinging them becomes very good

A very good team swinging them can not only compete with great teams but sometimes beat them

Now..........If your the better getting beat by the inferior because of them, or you're the on the same level and getting slammed because of them. Then I can see where this leads. Now, of course there are guys who don't need nor want them. They're hitting the ball 370' with legit bats and to these guys those bats do not make a difference to, and do not benefit. The ones that benefit are the ones who hit around the 300' mark for their max most of the time with legit bats......They get ahold of shaved bat and now they're getting out to 320+'. They go from losing by a few to winning by half dozen against clean teams.....Now...What are the clean teams going to do about his loss?? Probably get one......Use it against them. See how this permeates in the end? Where it goes and why?? How can you blame for trying to keep up???

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
The associations should make a new rule that when caught swinging a shaved stick, then members of the other team get to beat you with it for awhile.

I would enjoy that.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
actually i got one off the board in a trade. it didnt even hit that good. my stock bats hit just as far as it. i sold it on the bay ASAP. only got $93 for it :(

And now I don't know what to do with it.:(:D

gsus03

Banned User
I mostly play "D" tournament ball and it's freakin' amazing how much glass is out there. Not many "C" tournaments here in Florida, let alone teams that play "C". Most guys play down so they can play tournaments and be somewhat competitive on that level. I believe most of the tournaments in the state of Florida should be provided bats. That takes all the bull**** talk of shaved bats and blah blah blah.

One time, some guy thought my Derby boys was shaved. That bat is that freakin' good. If teams learned how to basehit, play a little defense, and know when to hit HR's, then there wouldn't be any issues at all.

Almost every game this happens with my buddies Freak98...but, as I just learned, though it has not been altered illegally in any way, it is possibly broken in to the point beyond the 98MPH standard...I have heard of guys saying their OG Flex fails the compression test...so it seems to be a bit of a flawed system IMO

silverbullet01

I'm a ginger!!!
Shaved bats can still pass the compression test. I have heard it first hand from plenty of "A" and Major softball players.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
i dont want to get into a pissing match with you Swing, im still noob'ish , but why you say that? just curious

I just mean it as it's not always the case. The Good Book says, "Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you".....Which teams with a sense of sportsmanship do. I feel that most competitors would rather have it hat way. Let me and my best, beat you and your best in a fair sporting competition. But, the Good Book also says, "An eye for an eye".....Which is where a team is forced to what the other is doing to compete. Not because they want to but are taken advantage of if they don't. It's not a total lack of integrity.......It's some of it. So I was wrong when I said it "had nothing to do...", but it is also people being forced to do what they have to do to compete.

dario521

STILL LOOKING FOR HR #1
so its just leveling the playing field, well, better schedual a Dr's appointment........ thanks for the validation ;) your alright Swing, no matter what everone else says about you, your alright in my book ;)

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
so its just leveling the playing field, well, better schedual a Dr's appointment........ thanks for the validation ;) your alright Swing, no matter what everone else says about you, your alright in my book ;)

I personally don't use one and don't want to. I fall into the catagory of a guy who really won't see a benefit from them. I rarely hit fence scrapers, and they'll just probably get me hitting more DBO's. Just that as a competitor........I can honestly see where people do it to keep up, with less scrupulous competitors.

hatemail

Starting Player
I just mean it as it's not always the case. The Good Book says, "Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you".....Which teams with a sense of sportsmanship do. I feel that most competitors would rather have it hat way. Let me and my best, beat you and your best in a fair sporting competition. But, the Good Book also says, "An eye for an eye".....Which is where a team is forced to what the other is doing to compete. Not because they want to but are taken advantage of if they don't. It's not a total lack of integrity.......It's some of it. So I was wrong when I said it "had nothing to do...", but it is also people being forced to do what they have to do to compete.

i disagree swing. everyone has a choice to compete fairly.