Winter Program?

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Most of us are well into our winter programs. What are you guys doing? I'm doing the Extension program from Cressey's high performance handbook.

wcoastsoftball

I haven't done a thing in 6 months, hope this helps!

Trying to get the motivation back, but once you stop, the time gets filled quickly. I actually created a program a few weeks ago based on Deadlifting everyday (a variation of DL each day). Would like to start that soon.

OTech

Ambisinister Pitcher
I'm doing body part splits with hard triple rep schemes. Hitting off a tee and sprints during lunch. Always motivated.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Been trying to cut some weight. Hard to convince myself to follow through with it. I know there's really no way around cutting and maintaining strength though. I've worked hard for the strength gains I have made so it's hard to convince myself to cut weight and more than likely lose them. :(

my life in a nutshell :p

briney11

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm doing P90X3 plus the 5/3/1 program. I'll add in the Macenko bat speed in a couple of weeks. If I get real brave, I'll get out in the cold and pull and flip some tractor tires.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Most of us are well into our winter programs. What are you guys doing? I'm doing the Extension program from Cressey's high performance handbook.

Just a bunch of mobility and explosive stuff at the moment. I'll be working out at Cressey in about a week though. Be interesting to see what results I get.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
I haven't done a thing in 6 months, hope this helps!

Trying to get the motivation back, but once you stop, the time gets filled quickly. I actually created a program a few weeks ago based on Deadlifting everyday (a variation of DL each day). Would like to start that soon.

How many days a is the plan and is one of the days a speed deadlift day?

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Been trying to cut some weight. Hard to convince myself to follow through with it. I know there's really no way around cutting and maintaining strength though. I've worked hard for the strength gains I have made so it's hard to convince myself to cut weight and more than likely lose them. :(

my life in a nutshell :p

If you go about the weight loss in a controlled fashion while keeping up with the strength training you shouldn't have an issue.

bigloc24

Banned User
Anyone here done wendler? If so, which version did u us, boring but big etc? Also, anyone incorporate joker sets or AMRAP? Thanks.

corndiggity

Addicted to Softballfans
Anyone here done wendler? If so, which version did u us, boring but big etc? Also, anyone incorporate joker sets or AMRAP? Thanks.

I've been doing 5/3/1 for about 2 years now. For more info check out this forum. Wendler posts here constantly.

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/jim-wendler-531?s=forumIndexCat

I've been working in 6+1 week sets. So you do your 531 weeks, increase TMs and repeat. Then delaod week. Then you can switch it up or keep going.

I haven't done BBB yet but did a lot of FSL and would mix in Jokers when the weights felt light. Lately Wendler's been frowning on Jokers as he feels people use them to go too heavy too often, which is against the principles of the program (working sub maximally).

I've used FSL AMRAP on OHP with success in the past.

I've recently switched to the Simple Strength Template (SST -2nd ed book). My focus is improving OHPress.

Sunday: DL 5/3/1, Front squat SST %'s from book, med ball slams
Tuesday: Bench 5/3/1, OHPress SST %'s, DB rows
Thursday: Squat 5/3/1, Good mornings SST %'s, ab roller
Friday: OHPess 5/3/1, Incline Press SST %'s, Pullups

Always start with Agile 8. Band pullaparts and TRX rows between warmup sets. Weight vest walks a few times a week.

I'm about to start a 3 week set, them off to Mexico for 10 days then Vegas for 4. Good deload week. Thinking of starting BBB when I get back, but may stick with SST for a while and start throwing in hang cleans on lower body days for warm-up. I'm really liking the SST layout.

bigloc24

Banned User
I've been doing 5/3/1 for about 2 years now. For more info check out this forum. Wendler posts here constantly.

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/jim-wendler-531?s=forumIndexCat

I've been working in 6+1 week sets. So you do your 531 weeks, increase TMs and repeat. Then delaod week. Then you can switch it up or keep going.

I haven't done BBB yet but did a lot of FSL and would mix in Jokers when the weights felt light. Lately Wendler's been frowning on Jokers as he feels people use them to go too heavy too often, which is against the principles of the program (working sub maximally).

I've used FSL AMRAP on OHP with success in the past.

I've recently switched to the Simple Strength Template (SST -2nd ed book). My focus is improving OHPress.

Sunday: DL 5/3/1, Front squat SST %'s from book, med ball slams
Tuesday: Bench 5/3/1, OHPress SST %'s, DB rows
Thursday: Squat 5/3/1, Good mornings SST %'s, ab roller
Friday: OHPess 5/3/1, Incline Press SST %'s, Pullups

Always start with Agile 8. Band pullaparts and TRX rows between warmup sets. Weight vest walks a few times a week.

I'm about to start a 3 week set, them off to Mexico for 10 days then Vegas for 4. Good deload week. Thinking of starting BBB when I get back, but may stick with SST for a while and start throwing in hang cleans on lower body days for warm-up. I'm really liking the SST layout.

nice, ive set goals for myself as far as joker sets, on my 5 days ill do the joker if i get 9, 3 if i get 7, and 1 if i get 5, otherwise i agree that u are not working sub maximal if u do them all the time. i think i will start to work in the FSL on my new cycle. I also plan on doing 6+1. I have done the 3 then deload, 3 then deload on my previous cycles.

seems to be working well for me so far. i got away from barbell bench and squats over the past year or so (i was very inconsistent with squat and primarily was using DBs for chest). i also was using dumbbells for military press, no OHP. my squat is really slacking (original estimated max when i started a few months ago was 275), but i have made good gains. ive always deadlifted with estimated max around 425 so hopefully this program can push me by my old maxes.

thanks for the info, i will check out your old post.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm actually doing a cut right now, kinda tough during holidays, but will get back on track as best as I can this week, then hit it hard starting next week. Want to lose another 6 pounds by Jan. 24

Big D

In the Batter's Box
In Oct I started going to an actual Athletic Training, Power lifting, strongman training Gym. If you have a gym like this in your area It is definitely worth checking out. It may be more costly then a standard box gym but the specialized equipment and the atmosphere is something you won't get there. The one I go to is full of guys and gals that are there to train and push everyone around them to get better. The owner puts up a workout plan for the week each monday morning you can follow it if you choose. the types of workouts change every week. and we do Strongman lifts (yoke, farmers carry, tire flip, tire carry, keg carry, husafell stone, prowler etc for cardio). This is the hardest I've ever worked at a gym. My goal is to get stronger and more athletic for ball this summer and I can definitely see this doing that.

here is the place if you want to check out pictures/ videos of what we do.
www.facebook.com/nextlevelstrong

Chudder

Addicted to Softballfans
I think so many people get caught up in fads like Olympic Lifts, Germany volume training or cross fit etc. They are awesome ways to get in to great shape but the are also awesome ways to injure yourself.

Standard body building workouts on a 3 or 4 day split with very basic linear movement is going to make you a lot stronger, improve your body aestically and although it's not the best way to be more explosive and dynamic you're going to be a lot safer and protect yourself from injury.

Personally I mix in swimming in once a week and yoga in 1 or 2 times a week to improve ROM and flexibility.

After all its softball, you don't need to be explosive like a halfback. Look good and stay on the field.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
I think so many people get caught up in fads like Olympic Lifts, Germany volume training or cross fit etc. They are awesome ways to get in to great shape but the are also awesome ways to injure yourself.

Standard body building workouts on a 3 or 4 day split with very basic linear movement is going to make you a lot stronger, improve your body aestically and although it's not the best way to be more explosive and dynamic you're going to be a lot safer and protect yourself from injury.

Personally I mix in swimming in once a week and yoga in 1 or 2 times a week to improve ROM and flexibility.

After all its softball, you don't need to be explosive like a halfback. Look good and stay on the field.

If that's the goal a solid athletic program without Olympic lifts would be your best bet. I agree that Olympic lifts and Crossfit are good ways to get hurt, but bodybuilding programs are only designed for aesthetics and nothing else. The movements are purely designed to enlarge muscles not to help you "stay on the field".

I learned this the hard way with several muscle strains and pulls. I move better and I haven't lost any aesthetics after switching training styles. Bonus is I'm a heck of a lot stronger now and the annoying elbow tendonitis from over training arms is long gone.

ck1

The Madness
I've been doing rest pause for a few weeks now and it's been a nice jolt to get back on track.

I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. I want to look and feel good and I've been doing Wendler mostly the past few years. I like Cressey but sometimes it's tough to notice progress as you're switching exercises so often.

tap2284

I've been doing rest pause for a few weeks now and it's been a nice jolt to get back on track.

I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. I want to look and feel good and I've been doing Wendler mostly the past few years. I like Cressey but sometimes it's tough to notice progress as you're switching exercises so often.

Depends on the "progress" you are looking for. If you are looking for big muscles and getting huge, using Cressey's probably isn't the thing you want to do. Now if you are looking to get strong and be athletic, then go with Cressey's program. I have seen the results first hand with his clients. Not one of them is "big" but all are strong as ****.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Depends on the "progress" you are looking for. If you are looking for big muscles and getting huge, using Cressey's probably isn't the thing you want to do. Now if you are looking to get strong and be athletic, then go with Cressey's program. I have seen the results first hand with his clients. Not one of them is "big" but all are strong as ****.

I could be reading into his comment wrong, but I think he's talking about some of the changes in programming. I've two of Cressey's programs and two of Gentiocore's programs. All of them have had large variations month to month on squatting and benching. I think that's a good thing, but if you're a person that likes gauging your strength progress it's somewhat hard to do with these programs.

tap2284

Fro, I agree with you that measuring strength gains with a changing program is tough. Just seeing the strength gains these athletes have achieved is remarkable with the changing program. It is definitely not for everyone though.

ck1

The Madness
Fro said it how I intended. I'm someone who is used to measuring progress by the change in weight and or reps over a series of workouts. I'm less interested in doing a 1 rep max every so often. Of course, I could simply change the test standard to meet my own goals. As a 40 year old who sits behind a desk and is a rec athlete, sure I want to be strong but I want to move well, feel good and look good. I don't care how much I bench press as long as I move well and look good.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
Fro said it how I intended. I'm someone who is used to measuring progress by the change in weight and or reps over a series of workouts. I'm less interested in doing a 1 rep max every so often. Of course, I could simply change the test standard to meet my own goals. As a 40 year old who sits behind a desk and is a rec athlete, sure I want to be strong but I want to move well, feel good and look good. I don't care how much I bench press as long as I move well and look good.

This is primarily why I've stuck with these programs. If I was just looking to move more weight I'd would rather do a powerlifting program. If I were competing in bodybuilding or physique I'd do a bodybuilding program. Not every program will fit every single person's needs. These just happen to fit my needs. I started this thread so people could see what else is out there that may fit their needs.

With that said it's my thread so I can do what I want. :)

Last edited by a moderator: