Wood~Combat

texas-46

Addicted to Softballfans
Was down at a tourney a few weeks back and they was havin the 35 and older STATE tourney their also.I seen Woodlaw with COMbat on their shirts and Woodlaw was under that. I noticed not one player was swingin a COMbat and too top it off they all had Miken roller bags......I dont know if they are sponsored by COMbat but Iam always swingin what I back up. COMBATANT FOR LIFE.....

texas-46

Addicted to Softballfans
Well go too LONESTAR SOFTBALL and look at the new pics of them from the tourney,Did they switch over or what?

Fishstick5

Addicted to Softballfans
Was down at a tourney a few weeks back and they was havin the 35 and older STATE tourney their also.I seen Woodlaw with COMbat on their shirts and Woodlaw was under that. I noticed not one player was swingin a COMbat and too top it off they all had Miken roller bags......I dont know if they are sponsored by COMbat but Iam always swingin what I back up. COMBATANT FOR LIFE.....
I say you get more into the investigation

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
Miken last I heard. I see many 'Combat' teams not even swinging Combat's. Some on this board. lol

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Miken last I heard. I see many 'Combat' teams not even swinging Combat's. Some on this board. lol

Happens with lots of sponsored teams, from all manufacturers.

In my opinion, if you're getting money from a manufacturer, you'd better damn well be using their equipment. If you don't like the manufacturer's product, swing it anyway, or find another team.

big wolfe

Addicted to Softballfans

In my opinion, if you're getting money from a manufacturer, you'd better damn well be using their equipment. If you don't like the manufacturer's product, swing it anyway, or find another team.

............................x34 lol

BigTexCowboy

Professional Bull Milker
what if miken said ill pay you ____ dollars to be on our sponsor team. do you drop all your combats?

If I decide to play on the team than yes. How much money though? Just sponsored tournies and free gear, no thanks. Sponsored tournies, free gear, and $10k/year, I'd probably do it. I'd still swing my DS in league :D

TWNGRLS1127

If I decide to play on the team than yes. How much money though? Just sponsored tournies and free gear, no thanks. Sponsored tournies, free gear, and $10k/year, I'd probably do it. I'd still swing my DS in league :D

I agree with this^^^. For money yes, for free **** no

cb420

Addicted to Softballfans

and if your getting money from combat you have no excuse not to swing one.They offer to many bats that are balenced / fl for anybody not to be comfortable with one

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
what if miken said ill pay you ____ dollars to be on our sponsor team. do you drop all your combats?

It depends how much they're paying me to sell out. I've never really thought about it, so I wouldn't know what the dollar amount would be.

But for arguments sake, say it was enough to get me to play for them. As long as I'm wearing that uniform, I'm swinging Miken. Any game I'm playing that isn't for that team, I'm swinging Combat, unless the sponsorship agreement states that I have to swing only Miken for the duration of the sponsorship.

It comes down to being principled and having integrity, and while I usually lack both, when it comes to softball I don't.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
brand loyalty is silly unless you are getting paid by said sponsor and it's disclosed by contract. sure, stick to what you know and what you like....but there's a lot of good options out there.

texas-46

Addicted to Softballfans
Well got me just know you can check out the pictures of them wearing COMbat shirts at LoneStar.com. Hell I have hit alot of manufacters but when I hit my 1st A.V yrs back I was hooked. I once let a guy that played league get a couple cut on my J.MAC PLAGUE and he swore it had been worked on,I told him bet money and replace my plague and cut it open... He said this is one HOT ASS bat. Cant wait to hit my WOOD its still in the wrapper.. way to go COMbat....

So here's the real truth, in case anyone was wondering.

99% of all the teams you see out there that have a manufacturer in their name, including mine, have done some sort of a buy in. Almost none get any kind of money or free gear.

Some buy ins come with stipulations that you swing only their product, some don't. I believe most Worth buy ins require you to swing only Worth. Typically Combat has not.

We made an internal choice to call ourselves WA Combat and swing Combat exclusively because aside from a buy in deal that is absolutely ridiculous, they have treated us extremely well by supporting us in some of our fund raising, and helping us throughout the year. I'm not going to get in to details, but no cash was ever handed over to us. We are loyal to Combat because of the support they have shown us this year.

I can also tell you that not all conference teams pay their players. I believe most, if not all, pay for travel, tourney fees, gear, etc, but there are at least some that don't do pillow money or salaries.

So I guess you could call it a sponsorship when you get $10,000 worth of gear for $5000. But the real "Sponsored" teams are typically reserved for the Major teams and the top of the A program.

Floyd

Addicted to Softballfans
Woodlaw/Miken is a fully sponsored Miken team. They don't have a buy-in deal. Miken provides it to them at no charge.

Woodlaw/Miken is a fully sponsored Miken team. They don't have a buy-in deal. Miken provides it to them at no charge.

I don't doubt it. The others that I know of are Resmondo, Dan Smith (I think, but I couldn't tell you off the top of my head which bat company sponsors them), Laservision, and I believe GTL. I'm sure each manufacturer has 2-3 teams in the conference with some level of sponsorship (I know NW Combat has something going but I don't know details).

I referring more to some of the other statements about being on a sponsored team, paid to play, etc.

I also doubt that Woodlaw/Miken was the ones wearing the Team Combat jerseys. OP probably got the 2 teams confused. OR, maybe it was Woodlaw, and they had their uni's done by Combat. Would explain all the Mikens and Miken bags.

Last edited:

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
murph, I should have said it better when I said "if you're getting money"; I was equating equipment with money. Not buy-in equipment (even if it's a good deal), unless it is stipulated in the buy-in agreement.

murph, I should have said it better when I said "if you're getting money"; I was equating equipment with money. Not buy-in equipment (even if it's a good deal), unless it is stipulated in the buy-in agreement.

Ya, I knew what you meant. I wasn't directing my comment at you necessarily either.

I just know that there are lots of guys out there that say they are sponsored by a manufacturer because they don't know any better. In reality, they are sponsored by someone else, and part of that sponsorship goes to pay for a buy in.

Example: Bob's Trucking company gives $10,000 to team X. Team X uses $5k to buy gear and uniforms from Worth, and uses the rest to pay for tournaments and hotels. They now call themselves "Bob's Trucking/Worth." Player A doesn't handle the business. He just knows he gets all his Worth stuff for free. So he tells everyone that he is sponsored by a manufacturer. He's not lying, he just doesn't know the details.

This is how it works 99% of the time. I had a friend tell me that Worth had sponsored him because for $100 he got 2 bats, 2 uniforms, a bag and batting gloves. What he didn't know was that his sponsor had paid the other $300-$400 for his buy in.

I just figured I'd throw out the facts since the majority of us have never been involved in one of these. I had no idea how it worked until this year.