Worst advice you've ever gotten...........

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
this might be a bit OT but i hate playing OF where one of the Infielders has to dictate everywhere a guy hits and then the guys proceed to never hit it there.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
this might be a bit OT but i hate playing OF where one of the Infielders has to dictate everywhere a guy hits and then the guys proceed to never hit it there.

I love this one! I also love when someone hits it and my IF is yelling, "BACK BACK BACK!" and I have to run up 10 feet to catch it, or they yell "SHORT!!" and I'm turning around to go get the ball.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Even though I knew what my son was doing wrong as he was learning at age 7-8, I was a terrible teacher. When I go to the batting cage and see the parents doing such a terrible job with their kids (whether they know what they are talking about or not), my only advice is to get out of the coaching business and find a good instructor at one of the dozen baseball academies. One dad was just yelling at his 7 year old like crazy and I finally suggested some lessons. He said the kid had been taking them for a year and he couldn't figure out why he was having such an off day. I suggested the kid not wear his cleats to the cement floored cages next time. The dad looked down and did a facepalm.

Last Saturday we were at the cage and a guy comes over to tell me my son's stance is way too wide, that he will never get any power from his hips. I am thinking I need to check this at the next lesson... and then I see this guy hit in the softball cage. Feet under his shoulders, big step, no hip rotation, swing is all arms. I wanted to go and give HIM some advice.

cyoung187

Coach
"You have way to much bat speed to be swinging a two piece bat, dude use this" he then proceeded to hand me his Easton hammer. He never picked up for us again.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
"Keep the back elbow up" may be the most common piece of bad advice.

I also think that coaching to come down on the ball (dropping the bat through the swing) is pretty awful advice. You can watch swing analysis of dozens of good MLB hitters and never see a bat head drop all the way through the swing.

bndawgs

President-Elect
We've all gotten it.....That thing that someone says to you about hitting that makes you just go, "Wow!!......Really???:eek: I had a dude tell me once that the bat was too far out in my fingers, and that I need to get it back in my palms and grip it really tight..."It seems to be working the way you're doing it, but it'll work better if you do that......" Needless to say, I never listened to him.

I thought you were going to go with listening to someone tell you that you look good in yellow softball pants.

-TheHook-

Addicted to Softballfans

I was an OF'er for my skinny days and have moved to the IF for fatboy days. I've seen both sides of this. As an OF'er I'm with you. I can't stand them yelling stuff from the infield, but as soon as I set foot on that damn infield it seems like a license to tell the OF what to do. lol. I try to catch myself from doing it, but I'm an offender as well. :eek:

grux41

Coach
The worst I have ever gotten personally is a guy on 1B missed a ball a threw to him that hit is back ankle which was on the bag in the air. He told me I had to get throws up. Ball was easily catchable with a decent stretch.

probably off topic and only slightly related to this. in highschool I played SS in a ortho league, the 1B kept taking my throws in the palm of his glove so he told me to stop throwing it there :confused:

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
I hate when IF's yell up on every fly ball. I see it all the time umping rec league, IF's yell up and OF's come in, then have to turn and run because they can't judge a ball off the bat.

MPT23

Putting on the foil
When my teammates yell " SHORT ", i listen and it drops in for strike 3. I'll never listen to them again.

deafie

GOLD MOTHER****ERS!!! Gold.

This is gold.

eaab10.jpg

Hal413

The Veteran
Am now in a week long debate/argument on overlap vs traditional baseball grip w/ my team's SS.
Also trying to explain to him the upside of learning how to cut the ball... apparently the overlap grip, with all things being equal SLOWS bat speed and knuckleballs off the bat travel farther (or so he tells me lol). That being said, wearing yellow pants while keeping the back shoulder up is the worst advice given.

Down+Hard

Addicted to Softballfans
My kids 10 under all star coach was officially the "giver of the worst advice ever" on multiple fronts.

1. No no no....I want you to pull that outside pitch.
2. Pitchers.....I want you guys throwing high strikes to all of their big hitters....actually all of their hitters.
3. Guys......3-0 and I want to see you swinging.....be aggressive. We are down 3-2 in the 5th with the bases loaded and 1 out.....and he tells our 3 hitter he better swing if its close.....ground ball to pitcher....home....1st base...inning over.

4. He tried to walk out and coach 3rd at least 3 times each game when our team was in the field.
5. He protested a bat for being shaved because he read that guys put "concave end caps" in when a bat gets shaved to help "keep the walls in". I told him he was an idiot and that's how the demarini end caps are....look, we have 2 that are exactly the same. He says " What? Whose bats....they must be shaved." We were up 3-0 and out pitcher was pitching a gem and after the 20 minute unsuccessful protest the other team scored 5 runs with 2 outs.

6. He got mad because I wasn't putting the outfielders in good positions based on the batters...truth is.....the guys were teeing off early due to the high strike mandate so I had them playing deep and they caught a few off the end cap and they fell in behind the Infield.....so he smashed his glasses on the dugout floor. I put them in my pocket and later took a picture of the glasses on 1 of my sons old trophies and sent it to all of the parents after we lost. Unfortunately it was the highlight of the tournament.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Am now in a week long debate/argument on overlap vs traditional baseball grip w/ my team's SS.
Also trying to explain to him the upside of learning how to cut the ball... apparently the overlap grip, with all things being equal SLOWS bat speed and knuckleballs off the bat travel farther (or so he tells me lol). That being said, wearing yellow pants while keeping the back shoulder up is the worst advice given.
GOLD MOTHER****ER!!! Gold.

ETDave

Old School
Scoot in...he has no power, he can't hit it over you. Usually said by an infielder when the bases are loaded.

rainbow warrior

Addicted to Softballfans
Scoot in...he has no power, he can't hit it over you. Usually said by an infielder when the bases are loaded.

:mad:
Every damn game this happens. INF yelling "move in, make 'em hit it past you". Batter ends up going oppo and hitting it 300+ ft.

Classax

Act Like You Know
5. hit the ball where its pitched= shooting middle
4. INF yelling 4, 4, 4 to the OF, when there's no chance to get him at home and the batter advances to second, wash, rinse, repeat
3. Hey Coach, you need to bat me X because blah blah... always results in said batter hitting infield fly with bases loaded to loose the game.
2. "Hey, if you aint cheatn, you aint competin "

and the all time worst advice in the history of the game....
1. may be you can find the answer by asking on the softballfans forum

mattun

Internet Tough Guy
Company team. We just played a pretty brutal game were only the 3/4 hitters did anything (I think they had 6 hits and all the RBIs) and we lost like 15-4. The guy who catches for us (and barely has played before) was thrown out on what could only be described as a suprise delayed steal of second following a line out to 2B. He drops by my office afterwards and recommends that I bat him lead off and the problem with the offense is the 3/4 hitters are trying to hit too many home runs.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Guy that runs our team always gives everyone a paragraph worth of batting advice as they're walking up to the plate. If someone hits a popup, next time up he always says "swing down at the ball" and every single person gets the invariable "push your hands through the zone". I'm batting about .200 higher than him with 4 times the hr's, and he tells me to push my hands through the zone. I'm gonna call time and ask him what he means someday.