Worth platinum dot BP softballs

chile

Bad Ape
have put a few rounds on these now...happy with what I've seen so far. for the price I got them for, they can't be beat...

JT2323

I am looking to order some 52/275 softballs. Where we play that's the size they call for. That being said is there a difference in quality of ball from different manufacturer (Worth Hot Dot, Evil Ball, DeMarini, etc) whether it be weight, type of outer cover, or durability . The borrowed ball we are using is the Dudley Thunder ZN.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I am looking to order some 52/275 softballs. Where we play that's the size they call for. That being said is there a difference in quality of ball from different manufacturer (Worth Hot Dot, Evil Ball, DeMarini, etc) whether it be weight, type of outer cover, or durability . The borrowed ball we are using is the Dudley Thunder ZN.

.52/275 isn't the size, it's the COR and compression. COR is a measure of bounciness and compression measures the hardness of the ball. There is a big difference between manufacturers and balls are available with synthetic or composite covers which has an effect on both performance and durability.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
So, I found a few of these Platinum Dots in FL at worlds. Today was the first time I'd ever hit them. Here are my thoughts:

They should change the name of these balls to "Ego Strokers". Platinum Dots are built like Tattoo NX3s. Just a molded polyurethane ball with no cover. The balls are slightly smaller than normal 12" softballs. You notice it immediately when picking them up or comparing them to other balls.

The Platinum Dots have a heavy, hard, rubbery feel. These are NOT balls I'd use for BP with any bat I cared about. I almost feel like these things would destroy today's bats fairly quickly. They don't have the harsh hard feel of a ZN classic M, but the smaller size and heavy weight are noticeable when you hit them.

Distance is simply incredible. That's why I say these balls should be called Ego Strokers. They come off the bat hard, and fly like absolute scuds. I was hitting this Platinum Dot harder and further than stadium balls. They penetrate well and end up much further along than you'd think. I think my top distance with the Platinum Dot (using an old Easton SCN12) was 410' or so. I don't know if I can even state enough how utterly long these balls are. I'd put them in the very upper echelon of distance compared to any other ball in existence. If I had to guess at the cor/compression of this ball I'd say something like .50 450. Hard, yet bouncy.

Again, these probably aren't balls you want to hit if you want your bat to last. They're heavy and I don't feel like they come off the bat lightly. Put a little backspin on a Platinum Dot and it will deliver absolutely jaw dropping distance.

At least they got the Platinum part right. These will outfly any other color Dot....

On a side note, I also had a Tattoo NX3 spinner in the mix. It has a green and yellow cover. This ball is extremely similar to the Platinum Dot, but isn't as hard, heavy, or small. Its actually regular sized. The NX3 performed well, but came off the bat lighter than the Platinum Dot. I'd put the NX3 spinner at about .48 400. I wouldn't use any broken in bat on these, but they're still a lot less harsh than Platinum Dots.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
C0R and Compression can be slightly off set with lighter weight, but heavier is a death blow to bats with every swing.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
C0R and Compression can be slightly off set with lighter weight, but heavier is a death blow to bats with every swing.

I don't have a scale, but I'd be interested to know what a Platinum Dot weighs. These things are heavy, and they feel dense off the bat. IMO Platinum Dots aren't ideal for BP unless you want to see how far you can hit a ball.

The Evil .52s are still in the bag and flying well.

Hiltz

Built for comfort

Just curious; are the BP Rockets lighter than regulation softballs? I've only hit a few and while they felt harder than game balls, they seemed to jump off the bat quickly without sinking into the barrel.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You already retired. They were having trouble the whole game. I pitched a wsl ball, then a stadium for a inning and a half because i just saw the utrip logo and thought they were finally close. I just happened to notice or was a stadium right before they lost it into the trees. Went all the way through the lineup before that.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Saw some guys taking BP here in the summer with these. They were really proud of themselves.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saw some guys taking BP here in the summer with these. They were really proud of themselves.
That's what i thought about this league team. Almost every league here is gsl, you barely have four gsl balls but you have a stadium and a platinum dot? You know they're killing it in bp.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
That's what i thought about this league team. Almost every league here is gsl, you barely have four gsl balls but you have a stadium and a platinum dot? You know they're killing it in bp.

Those Platinum Dots are ridiculous balls. Hottest ball I've hit in a long while. Easily on par with multilayer cover X Rocks.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Another quick note on the Platinum Dot. This might be the furthest flying softball I've ever seen. The fact that they're smaller than a normal softball and somewhat heavy seem to make them missiles.

I hit one out of a high school baseball field to CF today that cleared by more than 50'. Fence is 375'. All the other hard balls I have in the BP bag finish a very distant 2nd compared to the Platinum Dot. Stadiums, ultimate Evils, Pro Ms, X Rock, you name it.

None of those other balls were coming close to touching the Platinum Dot. Simply incredible. Poor choice for BP, but fun to mash on once in a while.

Z1k05

Star Player
Another quick note on the Platinum Dot. This might be the furthest flying softball I've ever seen. The fact that they're smaller than a normal softball and somewhat heavy seem to make them missiles.

I hit one out of a high school baseball field to CF today that cleared by more than 50'. Fence is 375'. All the other hard balls I have in the BP bag finish a very distant 2nd compared to the Platinum Dot. Stadiums, ultimate Evils, Pro Ms, X Rock, you name it.

None of those other balls were coming close to touching the Platinum Dot. Simply incredible. Poor choice for BP, but fun to mash on once in a while.

are you talking about the green stitch x rocks ?