Would a removable endcap end shaving?

Softball.com:

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
So we know people shave bats. I've never had it done (honestly) and don't believe I've ever swung one, but I have been in games where they're being swung and know people who have done this. Most people won't call a team out because there isn't much that you can do. Unless the dr. doing it was a 'tard and did a poor job popping out the endcap, it's impossible to tell by the exterior. Most umps or LDs won't take the bat to get it checked out a lot of people aren't willing to pay to have it sent out and checked.

So my question is this, what if the manufacturers made the endcaps easily removable? Seems like they're trying to make the endcaps impossible to remove, but what if they were really easy to remove (like a screw off top or something)? Sure it seems backwards. But if umps could easily open the bat to look at it, do you think people would be more scared to shave them?

Again, I know it's backwards logic. There are a few things like that in life though. Case in point: taxing the wealthy less is backwards logic and that works (and this statement is not meant to be sarcastic).

Let the butthurt begin...

PracticeSquad7

Addicted to Softballfans
So we know people shave bats. I've never had it done (honestly) and don't believe I've ever swung one, but I have been in games where they're being swung and know people who have done this. Most people won't call a team out because there isn't much that you can do. Unless the dr. doing it was a 'tard and did a poor job popping out the endcap, it's impossible to tell by the exterior. Most umps or LDs won't take the bat to get it checked out a lot of people aren't willing to pay to have it sent out and checked.

So my question is this, what if the manufacturers made the endcaps easily removable? Seems like they're trying to make the endcaps impossible to remove, but what if they were really easy to remove (like a screw off top or something)? Sure it seems backwards. But if umps could easily open the bat to look at it, do you think people would be more scared to shave them?

Again, I know it's backwards logic. There are a few things like that in life though. Case in point: taxing the wealthy less is backwards logic and that works (and this statement is not meant to be sarcastic).

Let the butthurt begin...

Cheaters will cheat no matter what. The only way I see to get rid of the problem would be to make an integral end cap.

second2noone

but it will make it alot of easier for the dr. to alter the bats. :rolleyes:

i think it's a good idea. like you can screw it on and off. Or how about we swing bats with no end cap. Do we really need an endcap? Endcap does probably add some weighting. Or have an endcap that is really clear and you can see inside. But again sometimes shaved bats inside might be hard to tell too.

daville_guy

Addicted to Softballfans
If they are unable to stop cheating in professional sports, then they are not going to stop cheating in recreational sports.

mijowe

The Veteran
has making bats out of actual glass ever been discussed? Then you could actually see inside the bat and tell if it had been altered.

Senek8

Addicted to Softballfans
but it will make it alot of easier for the dr. to alter the bats. :rolleyes:

i think it's a good idea. like you can screw it on and off. Or how about we swing bats with no end cap. Do we really need an endcap? Endcap does probably add some weighting. Or have an endcap that is really clear and you can see inside. But again sometimes shaved bats inside might be hard to tell too.

Have you ever swung a bat with no end cap? lol there is no pop in the bat.

hamsbad11

The Rookie
The thing is if the some how stopped shaving of bats.. "impossable" people are gonna keep rolling them which pretty much does the same damage!! there is no stopping it people are gonna do it! just go get one rolled and pull it out when you know the other team is using it! lol

BIGPAPA33

ULTRA MEGA
The thing is if the some how stopped shaving of bats.. "impossable" people are gonna keep rolling them which pretty much does the same damage!! there is no stopping it people are gonna do it! just go get one rolled and pull it out when you know the other team is using it! lol

Rolled bat and shaved bat are not even close in performance.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans

Rolling a bat does NOT equal shaving.
You'll find a lot of people on here who see nothing wrong w/ rolling but frown on shaving. HUGE difference between removing material and thinning the walls vs. compressing it and "opening" the composite

toad_2

Semiretired Player
has making bats out of actual glass ever been discussed? Then you could actually see inside the bat and tell if it had been altered.

:confused: **scratching head in confusion**

Glass is swung in about every $$ tournament. You must not go to many.

Easton tried the Reveal and Clear lines to deter some of the tampering, supposedly. Didn't accomplish much.

A clear polymer resin endcap might work but it still wouldn't deter a bat dr.

HABADAWOOSAA

I'm The Suck.

Well that being your first post I see you have tons to learn. Welcome to the board bro.

cdamron13

scerred of sbf

i don't care what anyone says, although most won't admit it, i will honestly say i've had some of my bats rolled, they are bats that i will never get rid of....and it is nowhere close to shaving a bat...

for an example lets say go roll a freak98 and then shave a freak98 and hit them side by side....guarentee you can tell which one is shaved...

i wish someone would do a vid to prove my point

SmokeDK42

Addicted to Softballfans

I think you meant to say impossible...no big deal:D

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
This topic has never been discussed here... EVER

its has been said before kind sir.

Definitely didn't feel like searching for this topic. IMO, being an "OPEN" board, you should be able to talk about anything softball related, whenever you want. If it's been talked about before, who cares? There are plenty of us "noobs" on here who don't feel like searching through the archives of the SBF forum to find out what someone thought about 6 months ago, a year ago, 3 years ago...

Raz9396

Addicted to Softballfans
Rolling a bat does NOT equal shaving.
You'll find a lot of people on here who see nothing wrong w/ rolling but frown on shaving. HUGE difference between removing material and thinning the walls vs. compressing it and "opening" the composite

AMEN Vipvanilla!! If a tard wants to roll his bat instead of breaking it in by mashing balls.........he's just decreasing the life of his bat. Shaving a bat can never be equalled by mashing balls.

cseamus44

Addicted to Softballfans
Definitely didn't feel like searching for this topic. IMO, being an "OPEN" board, you should be able to talk about anything softball related, whenever you want. If it's been talked about before, who cares? There are plenty of us "noobs" on here who don't feel like searching through the archives of the SBF forum to find out what someone thought about 6 months ago, a year ago, 3 years ago...

agreed...though, if a position on the post police force opened up, i would want to apply. it must be fun to go around on every post that has ever had a similar predeccessor and let the OP know there is a search function, since so many people do it...

FAT JESUS

More than likely
I know I have never suggested either an integrated endcap, or removable one.....these are great ideas. Carry on.

mlpower

Swingin'!
i don't care what anyone says, although most won't admit it, i will honestly say i've had some of my bats rolled, they are bats that i will never get rid of....and it is nowhere close to shaving a bat...

for an example lets say go roll a freak98 and then shave a freak98 and hit them side by side....guarentee you can tell which one is shaved...

i wish someone would do a vid to prove my point

Steve Butler did a video last year about this... You can probably find it on here with a search or on his youtube channel.

tony67

Can't even buy a hit!
Have you ever swung a bat with no end cap? lol there is no pop in the bat.

They break easy too. My buddy had a senor combat and the end cap wouldn't stay in it so we were hitting in bp with out the end cap and it broke in 5 swings

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
agreed...though, if a position on the post police force opened up, i would want to apply. it must be fun to go around on every post that has ever had a similar predeccessor and let the OP know there is a search function, since so many people do it...

Wonder if that would pay well... :D

sporttech

Banned User
Rumor is there is a new bat without a end cap there cannot be rolled or shaved. My question is will it sell if players cannot cheat?
I have no idea about the pop of this bat or anything else. Just heard it from a guy who sister had a friend that knew someone........