Yet, Another P90 X Thread... Tracking My Progress

TyJack09

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, this is another thread regarding P90 X, but this is a thread that I wanted to start to kind of track my progress throughout my plan and what I am trying to do. Here is a little background info...

I am 27 years old and I weighed in two weeks ago at 275lbs. :eek::eek: Sad part is, I am only 5' 7". A little more than I ever expected and probably the heaviest I have ever been in my entire life. I am truly ashamed of myself and wanted to make a change. My actual goal weight is 200 lbs. Well the day after I weighed in, my company sends an email that they are having the biggest loser competition and they are giving away cash prizes to the winner. Well, talk about timing. So I signed up and have began changing my life forever.

So the first part I needed and wanted to focus on the most was my eating habits. I have a bad habit of having that late night snack at 9 pm and then going to bed an hour later. Worse thing anyone can do. So, I started breaking down everything I eat within a day and changed it all. I have lost weight in the past and what seemed to work the best was eating smaller meals 6 times a day. Eating healthy, including fruits and smaller portions of healthy food throughout the day. I am actually consuming between 1700-1900 calories per day of healthy lean foods. So I feel like I have my diet pretty much on lock down and ready to begin a good high intensity workout program that is aimed at cutting fat. I got a hold of a set of the P90 X DVD's last year and just recently came in contact with the Insanity workout as well. I thought the Insanity would be perfect for what I was trying to do. So I started on Monday of last week (1/24/2011) and boy let me tell you, the first day was the fit test. :( I felt so sick after it was said and done. I just figured it was because I am so out of shape. Next day, I went through and did the next Insanity workout. I finished it and felt like crap. I was not motivated at all. So I was a little concerned because I felt that there was no way that I was going to want to finish the Insanity program. So I went back to the P90x routine. MAN, what a difference. I feel so much better after these workouts. It probably has to do with the fact that I am so out of shape, that I can actually finish a P90x workout, and feel like I accomplished something in my workout.

Either way, I lost 5 pounds in my first week. I am okay with that. I was kind hoping for a little more, but Rome wasn't built in a week, and niether will changing my body. I am in the second week and found a lean version of doing the P90x workouts that concentrates more on cutting weight than the regular P90x workout. I can email that to those that are interested in how it is broken down. I put it in a word document and made it to where I can check off the days as I complete them.

Yesterday I did the Core Synergistics workout. :eek::D Man what a workout. I love that in the P90x the workouts always seem to make so much sense. When I finished, I was dripping in sweat and felt good. I then took the dogs out for a mile and half walk. I woke up this morning a little sore, but I feel good. Today is Cardio X. Looking forward to it. Seems like I have found a workout program that fits for me and I can really excel on. I am actually looking forward to starting the Insanity after I am done with P90x to see if it was just me being out of shape or that fact that the workout just did not interest me at all. Anyway, we shall see.

Again, this thread is just for me to track my progress and make me accountable for what I am doing. Comment if you would like. If you have suggestions, or think I may be doing something wrong let me know. Oh, and let me know if you are interested in that P90x Lean workout schedule. Send me a PM with your email and I will shoot it over to you.

berglin11

Addicted to Softballfans
Dude, good for you doing something about it. I am 5'9" and I was up around 250 at my heaviest. Changed my eating habits, starting lifting and running and today I am a much more fit and muscular 170 lbs. Still have a tiny pooch in front that I am working on but feel amazing. Keep working at it!!!!

TyJack09

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks man... I really feel like I am more motivated than I have ever been. I think it just got to the point that I was sick and tired of what I was looking at in the mirror and making excuses.

I tend to do that... For example, I knew I needed to get back in to school and get my Bachelors degree in order to advance my career. I always made excuses of why I couldn't. Finally I got pissed off enough and said screw it, I'm going to get this done. That was a year and a half ago, and I just finished my Associates of Art in Business Management with a 3.9 GPA and well into my Bachelors degree. On track to have that by the summer of 2012.

Kind of taking the same approach with this whole life change I am currently starting. Once I get into a routine, it will become second nature to me and much easier to maintain. Thanks for the words... and Congrats on your success so far as well.

bbomber4

Addicted to Softballfans
Good for you man. Just eat right and keep on doing the p90x. The weight will come off and you will be a lot healthier.

ENVY

OMG, if you put as much concern in calling a good game "UMP" then you wouldn't have anything to worry about. J/K

Great news there KID, when can we expect to see you at a tourney? I know you are getting in on this BIG tournament here this weekend 40 teams and counting so far.

TyJack09

Addicted to Softballfans
OMG, if you put as much concern in calling a good game "UMP" then you wouldn't have anything to worry about. J/K

Great news there KID, when can we expect to see you at a tourney? I know you are getting in on this BIG tournament here this weekend 40 teams and counting so far.

:D:D Yea, you wait, next time your on the field and I'm calling, you will see just how good of a game I can call... :D

Yea, I will be there this weekend at the Warmup. Looking forward to it. Haven't been on the field in a while since my knee injury but now I am ready.

What class you guys gonna be in this weekend? Looks like the Gold and the Silvewr Divisions are pretty stacked...

ENVY

We will be in silver I am playing with CHING-A-LING this weekend. Gonna be sweet to have back on the diamond. I have a feeling that it is going to be COLD AS HELL and WET as ever at pine grove might have to break out the old waders.

TyJack09

Addicted to Softballfans
We will be in silver I am playing with CHING-A-LING this weekend. Gonna be sweet to have back on the diamond. I have a feeling that it is going to be COLD AS HELL and WET as ever at pine grove might have to break out the old waders.

It wouldn't be the Winter Warm-Up if it wasn't WET and COLD...

Last Year, I remember calling a game behind home plate and standing in 3" of Water. The Batters had it worse. When they stepped into the box, there shoes were completely covered in Water.

berglin11

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks man... I really feel like I am more motivated than I have ever been. I think it just got to the point that I was sick and tired of what I was looking at in the mirror and making excuses.

I was completely the same way!! Kept telling myself I wasn't fat and then one day looked at the mirror and was just disgusted at what I saw. It's a long journey, be patient!

TyJack09

Addicted to Softballfans
I was completely the same way!! Kept telling myself I wasn't fat and then one day looked at the mirror and was just disgusted at what I saw. It's a long journey, be patient!

Thanks... I am realizing that more and more. I am getting more and more into the routine of making the life altering changes for the better everyday. I catch myself wanting to go hop on the scale and look to see what I have accomplished so far, but I need to relax and take it one day at a time. Like I have stated before, Rome wasn't built in a day or a week. I have a goal, and won't stop until I get there.

I feel better than I have in months. Yesterday I completed the Shoulders and Arms workout. I felt great after it was over. Did this same workout last week and man I will tell you, I couldn't finish all the workouts. Not even the bonus round at the end. Last night, I finished it all and felt good afterwards. I didn't kill myself, but I pushed my body to the extreme which is exactly what I need to continue to do.

I know I am getting better. Last night the wife wanted Pizza for dinner. (She is 3 months pregnant by the way) I told her to go ahead and order what she wanted and I would eat something else. She said she felt bad. My response was that "If I wanted pizza, I would sit down and eat Pizza, but I can honestly sit here and tell you, I don't want any pizza." I also told her that I need to change how I eat because the old way, was going to literally kill me sooner than later. So, I ate Some baked chicken, whole wheat pasta, and a serving of green beans. It actually felt good to sit and eat healthy while she was eating Pizza and not even wanting a slice.

berglin11

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd recommend not getting on the scale very often. Just keep working at it and you'll be fine.

Eating healthier is still one of the hardest things for me. I work on a pretty strict diet and have taken a lot of junk out of the diet. It seems to be hard for me to always say no so one thing I have found helpful is having a cheat day once a week. Now not a cheat day where I eat everything in site, but a day where having pizza for lunch or burger is ok. That works for some people and not for others.

TyJack09

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd recommend not getting on the scale very often. Just keep working at it and you'll be fine.

Eating healthier is still one of the hardest things for me. I work on a pretty strict diet and have taken a lot of junk out of the diet. It seems to be hard for me to always say no so one thing I have found helpful is having a cheat day once a week. Now not a cheat day where I eat everything in site, but a day where having pizza for lunch or burger is ok. That works for some people and not for others.

That is what I am doing as well. I read one time that when people include a cheat day in the beginning of their diets, they tend to be more successful than those that don't.

The other part of that is those that have the "cheat day" start out eating foods that arn't so good, but as more time goes on throughout their diet, people are more likely to eat less bad food and eat healthier foods on their cheat day. It makes sense because after so long, your body actually craves the better foods rather than the junk ones.

HammerinHokie25

Addicted to Softballfans
Good luck and no matter how hard it gets stick with the program. I did P90X for 8 weeks and went from 246 to 223 and felt great. I stopped because my clothes weren't fitting anymore and I didn't have the extra cash to buy a new wardrobe. Once your body gets in sync with the eating and exercising that weight will melt off like butter. I have recommended the program to others and warned them if you don't follow it you won't get the results. They can't understand why they do it 3 or 4 days a week and can't lose any weight. Have faith in the program, follow it, and it will work. For me the hardest part was the eating program. Once my body got used to it, I did not crave the junk food and fast food anymore. The first time I ate fast food after the 8 weeks it made me sick. Keep us posted on your results and good luck.

TyJack09

Addicted to Softballfans
*UPDATE*
Well here I am in my third week. Weighed in this morning and seen that I lost another 4 lbs. I was a little pissed at first but then read that losing small amounts of weight is actually good. So right now I am at a total of 9 lbs lost. I'm happy with the results thus far. Over the weekend I spent almost every waking minute on the Softball field calling one of the biggest tournaments we have every year. I walked on the field at 9 am and didn't come off until about midnight. Went back to the room, slept for about 3 1/2 hours and was back out on the field at 9 am calling the championship games. I felt pretty good. I know I had to have burned a crap ton of calories.

Got home from work yesterday kind of late and really didn't feel like working out. I looked at the clock and my mind said "Screw it, you don't need to work out, you just spent the entire weekend on your feet, umpiring a huge tournament". Then, my heart said, "Go work out, you lazy, fat bum". So I went and did Kenpo X. I was really glad that I did too. It was a good workout and sweated a lot. I fought through my lazy urges and just did it. Thats how I know I am getting better mentally as well. The workout did suck though. My body still hasn't completely healed all the way from what I put it through over the weekend. I fought through the pain and pushed my body. When I was all done, I felt so much better. I realized that I just made the first step to truly changing my life forever. In any event, I think tonight I am going to do Core Synergistics. Last week when I did the workout, I hurt all over. I am anxious to see how much better I can do the workout this week.

berglin11

Addicted to Softballfans
That is what I am doing as well. I read one time that when people include a cheat day in the beginning of their diets, they tend to be more successful than those that don't.

The other part of that is those that have the "cheat day" start out eating foods that arn't so good, but as more time goes on throughout their diet, people are more likely to eat less bad food and eat healthier foods on their cheat day. It makes sense because after so long, your body actually craves the better foods rather than the junk ones.

It's completely true. Don't get me wrong, I still crave and eat the bad stuff at times though :)

TyJack09

Addicted to Softballfans
Another Week in the Books...

Well, stepped on the scale this morning and I was happy with what I saw. I lost 5 lbs last week. I feel great about my results and have lost a total of 14 lbs so far. Still a long journey ahead, but I am better than I was when I started. It is a constant struggle, but I am motivated to keep on going.

Went really hard this week in my P90x Lean. I think the worst day was Monday by far. I was coming off of umpiring a huge tournament and my body just hurt all the way around. By far the worst workout ever, but from Tuesday on, I felt great throughout all of my workouts. I noticed that I was getting through the workouts easier without having to take as many breaks as the week before. I was doing more reps, and really feeling it after the workout was done. After each workout, I have been taking my dog for a walk around the neighborhood. It kind of helps recovery and helps me burn even more calories.

I have one more week of the same rountine and then on to my rest week. The Yoga X is still kind of difficult because I am unable to do some of the moves due to my injured knee that I am still rehabing. I don't have the flexibility that I have in the other one. I am sure it will pass. I decided that once I am done with the lean version, I am going to move into the Original Routine. So essentially for the next 6 months I am going to eat, breath, and sleep P90x. Question: Does anyone know why The Plyometrics workout is not on the Lean Version? I would think an intense Cardio Workout would be in this version.

berglin11

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, stepped on the scale this morning and I was happy with what I saw. I lost 5 lbs last week. I feel great about my results and have lost a total of 14 lbs so far. Still a long journey ahead, but I am better than I was when I started. It is a constant struggle, but I am motivated to keep on going.

Went really hard this week in my P90x Lean. I think the worst day was Monday by far. I was coming off of umpiring a huge tournament and my body just hurt all the way around. By far the worst workout ever, but from Tuesday on, I felt great throughout all of my workouts. I noticed that I was getting through the workouts easier without having to take as many breaks as the week before. I was doing more reps, and really feeling it after the workout was done. After each workout, I have been taking my dog for a walk around the neighborhood. It kind of helps recovery and helps me burn even more calories.

I have one more week of the same rountine and then on to my rest week. The Yoga X is still kind of difficult because I am unable to do some of the moves due to my injured knee that I am still rehabing. I don't have the flexibility that I have in the other one. I am sure it will pass. I decided that once I am done with the lean version, I am going to move into the Original Routine. So essentially for the next 6 months I am going to eat, breath, and sleep P90x. Question: Does anyone know why The Plyometrics workout is not on the Lean Version? I would think an intense Cardio Workout would be in this version.

Not sure why its not a part of it, but have a lot of buddies that combine all of it together and kind of tailor their own workout plan.

Congrats on the progress!

Kramit

I am doing it and dont do the yoga. I do core instead because its much more fun then intense stretching for an hour+

TyJack09

Addicted to Softballfans
I am doing it and dont do the yoga. I do core instead because its much more fun then intense stretching for an hour+

You know I started out that way and not doing the Yoga either. I tried it one time and to be honest with you, It was a crazy insane workout. I sweated so much in just doing the Yoga X.

As when I started doing it, I actually noticed my ability to actually go the other workouts better because of the core workout that the Yoga does for me.

I would like to start including the Plyo into some of my workouts throughout the week. I think I will wait until my first rest week and then start implementing it in the 2nd phase. I will do substitute the Cardio X one week and then the Kenpo the next.

TyJack09

Addicted to Softballfans
On a side note, Today's workout was ROUGH... I was just not into it at all... I think it was a combination of things, but I just was dragging all the way through the Core Synergistics today. By far the worst workout since I began the Lean program. I guess that is a normal thing for most folks. I don't think it is feasible to think that you can have a great workout every single day... Ol'well... Back at it tomorrow with Cardio X. I think I will be in a better frame of mind.

Kramit

You know I started out that way and not doing the Yoga either. I tried it one time and to be honest with you, It was a crazy insane workout. I sweated so much in just doing the Yoga X.

I can understand that but with me, I have a hard enough time finding an hour in my day. I know I might be cheating myself a little but I am sweating hard doing the core synergistic work out so I am happy with that. I also cant do the nutrition plan. Who the hell eats 3 oz of chicken and a cup of green bean for a meal? I cut my calorie intake down to 1200-1600 a day. That combined with the workout I am losing 3-5lbs a week.

TyJack09

Addicted to Softballfans
I can understand that but with me, I have a hard enough time finding an hour in my day. I know I might be cheating myself a little but I am sweating hard doing the core synergistic work out so I am happy with that. I also cant do the nutrition plan. Who the hell eats 3 oz of chicken and a cup of green bean for a meal? I cut my calorie intake down to 1200-1600 a day. That combined with the workout I am losing 3-5lbs a week.

Yea, it is funny you say that. I can't follow the nutrional plan that the P90x has either. With having two boys who are 5-4, and a pregnant wife, it is not fesible to think I can turn their lives upside down. I have a lady I work with who use to be a nutritional expert back in the day for one of those fancy Gyms. I talked to her about it and she showed me some great websites to go to and how to basically cut down my caloric intake per day, and how to change the calories I am taking in with good healthy food. When we eat out on Friday's, I still eat healthy. During the week, I don't really change what we're having, I just cater it to what I can eat as far as healthy foods. Sometimes, the meal just isn't healthy for what I am doing, so I have meals set aside that is healthy that I will eat while they are having what they are. It's funny, because now instead of Pizza and crap fast food, my wife follows my lead and when we eat out, she will get subway, or Moe's with me. Now she may still eat more, but the food she is eating is healthier for her and the baby.

TyJack09

Addicted to Softballfans
I am anxious to start my seasons on a regular basis. I know that once I do, the pounds will start melting away. Essentially it will workout in my favor because just as my body starts to hit a Plateau with doing the P90x and walking every night, I then will throw in playing three days a week, and umpiring two days a week on top of the P90x. Send my body on overdrive.

I think the hard part is going to be figuring out the balance of upping my calorie intake with the extra work I will be doing, and still keeping my metabolism up where I am burning fat away. Either way, I think that starting my seasons on more of a regular basis will be a good thing for my goals.

Kramit

after being on a weight loss plateau (sp?) for a week i finally broke through it and was down to 247.5 this morning. total weight loss 22.5 lbs in six weeks. trying to get down to 230 when the season starts but i'd settle for 235. aiming for 210 by the end of the summer.

TyJack09

Addicted to Softballfans
after being on a weight loss plateau (sp?) for a week i finally broke through it and was down to 247.5 this morning. total weight loss 22.5 lbs in six weeks. trying to get down to 230 when the season starts but i'd settle for 235. aiming for 210 by the end of the summer.

So far, after 3 weeks, I have lost 15 lbs total. I started at 275 lbs. But I am only 5' 8". :eek: My goal is to get down to the weight I was in the Marine Corps which is 200-205 lbs. When I was that weight, I actually felt really good, and I feel like it is an obtainable goal. It may take a while, but I know I can get there. Just go step by step and day by day. It is a lifestyle change.

Did Shoulders and Arms workout last night with P90x and I noticed some great gains in my workout. All of my numbers went up. I started out only able to do 12 Chair Dips, and last night, I did 22, and 20 on each set. I also increased my weight in order to get that "burn" but was still able to get my high number of reps on each exercise. After the workout, I went for a run/walk. (Almost 2 miles. Probably 1.7 to be exact.) Haven't got to the point where I can run the entire distance yet, but I will get there. Felt great this morning when I woke up. I feel like I actually worked out, and pushed myself.

Tonight is Kenpo X. My 5 year old son is starting to want to workout with me and he really likes doing the Cardio style workouts. Well the day, doing thew Cardio X workout, we started doing the Jab, Cross, Hook, Uppercut part. Now he is left handed... We started out on our right side and when he went to do the uppercut portion, he actually punched himself in the chin. It was epic. He laughed and kept going. I had to stop and pause cause I couldn't stop laughing.

TyJack09

Addicted to Softballfans
Well I have made it through the 1st phase of the P90x Lean program. On Monday when I weighed in I lost 3 lbs. I was going for my normal which would have been another 5 lbs, but hey, 3 lbs is better than gaining any at all. Started my rest week and to be honest, I am bored. On Monday it was my oldest son's birthday so I really didn't do a whole lot except spend time with him. Didn't cheat with the birthday cake either. Felt good about that. Came home last night late from work. Didn't just want to do nothing, so I went for a walk/run. Yea, running the entire distance right not isn't possible. So, I start by walking, then run for a good bit, and then do sort of a power walk, and then run again. Tying to build my body back up to where I can run the entire dsistance. With my back and my knee, it is kind of hard, but when I got done with the total 2 miles last night, I felt really good.

Tonight, I got core synergistics, and then probably go for another walk/run. I know this week is supposed to be a rest week, but I also feel like I need to keep pushing myself. Next week I am starting phase two and I plan on incorporating the Plyometrics to the workout once a week. Probably alternate between the Cardio X and the Kenpo X each week with it.

Kramit

i get a little bitter when it comes time for the rest week because i want to keep working out. got down to 246 (24lbs lost) but have been stuck there for a while. I have noticed an increase in my strength and i can see my muscles better (still not cut) but its better than a flat arm while flexing. I have to buy a new belt so thats good news. Rest week to me is crap and while I don’t do any lifting I swap in cardio for yoga.

TyJack09

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, I made it through my rest week and I started Phase II of the Lean Program Yesterday. It started off the same with Core Synergistics. I am officially a hater of that workout. I see gains through out myworkout, but man I still hate it. I don't know if part of it comes from doing the workout on a Monday after my rest day or what, but it just seems that I never have fun with that one. Ol'well... Got on the scale this morning and seen I lost another 4lbs last week. Really stoked about that. My wife was telling me that she can notice a big difference in the way I look. I feel good about that. Let's me know my hard work is paying off.

I think for Phase two I am going to kick it up a notch and start adding the Plyo workout to the routine. Like I posted in an earlier post, I am going to alternate it each week between the Cardio X and the Kenpo X. I am even thinking about just adding it and taking out the Yoga X altogether. Looking to see what other people suggest for that situation. I like the Yoga X, but on the otherhand, I feel like I could get a better workout and better results with the Lean version by implementing the Plyo on top of the Cardio X and Kenpo X.

I also think I have found the proper balance in my Caloric intake and my metobolism rate as well. In the beginning I think I wasn't intaking enough calories and it was actually working against my fat burn. Now I think I back up to where I need to be. I added a serving of Oatmeal first thing in the morning along with my Protein Shake.

Kramit

I also think I have found the proper balance in my Caloric intake and my metobolism rate as well. In the beginning I think I wasn't intaking enough calories and it was actually working against my fat burn. Now I think I back up to where I need to be. I added a serving of Oatmeal first thing in the morning along with my Protein Shake.

If you're just looking to lose weight the protein shake will hurt you. but given your starting weight and height stats you'll probaby still lose the weight. got down to 242 this morning. i have 5 1/2 weeks left in my 90 days so 230 seems entirely within reach i might even be able to get to 225. I cut my calorie intake to about 1200-1300 which probably isnt that healthy. I eat a "big lunch" 600-800 calories a small breakfast and small dinner. when i get down to my desired weight i'll take in another 500 calories a day.

TyJack09

Addicted to Softballfans
If you're just looking to lose weight the protein shake will hurt you. but given your starting weight and height stats you'll probaby still lose the weight. got down to 242 this morning. i have 5 1/2 weeks left in my 90 days so 230 seems entirely within reach i might even be able to get to 225. I cut my calorie intake to about 1200-1300 which probably isnt that healthy. I eat a "big lunch" 600-800 calories a small breakfast and small dinner. when i get down to my desired weight i'll take in another 500 calories a day.

Well, luckily for me, I work with a lady who is a certified fitness instructor and Nutritionist. I was talking to her about my caloric intake and what should I be doing...

Basically she showed me a website and broke it down for me... My biggest thing is, when I first began my diet, and workout, I noticed my metabolism had slowed down A LOT. So I went to her and asked her what she thought. She broke everything down and showed me that actually not taking in enough calories can be a bad thing for your body. She showed me a caloric intake calculator and told me that in oder to maintain my weight when I started I needed to be eating about 3200 calories a day. I told her I was only taking in about 1400-1500 calories a day and she said that I was actually hurting my body more than helping it. She said the reason I noticed my metabolism slowing was because my body was starving so it slowed down to fuel it. She said a healthy intake would be about 1800-2000 calories a day. The key to those calories is actually taking in HEALTHY 1800-2000 calories. I started doing it and noticed a huge difference. The other thing she said was really interesting. She stated that when people cut their calories by dramatic amounts, they may lose weight quickly, but what will happen is their bodies are more likely to put the weight back on faster. Plus, if you read the nutrion guide for P90x, it states that during the second and third phase, you need to intake about 200-300 more calories than the first phase because your working your body harder and your body needs more fuel. The protein is actually good because it is Whey and it has tons of good nutrients and it promotes healthy metobolism. Everyone should be taking in about 40-60 grams of protein a day to promote good fuel and energy for your body.

I went and did some more research of what she said and everything she told me was backed up by many other numerous sources... The website that I got the information was acefitness.org.

Great bit of information and resources on there...