you make the call SR rules

HAT MAN

Addicted to Softballfans
runner rounds 3rd heading home. Throw is off line and catcher fields ball along fence by batters box. Catcher proceeds toward runner who is not past commitment line yet for the tag. Runner steps over line and its a race home. Catcher beats runner but dives on home plate while runner crosses line appropriately. Call made is runner is out. play is questioned and over turned.
Argument was if a runner cannot slide over the line for safety reasons then it should be equally so for the defender.

WHATS THE RIGHT CALL?

ffdonnie

Addicted to Softballfans
Yep, out.
No rules about the catcher diving or sliding. Another umpire making up their own rules.

HAT MAN

Addicted to Softballfans
i agree also but begs the question should the rule be the same for the defense as well as offense?

OldguyinHavasu

Addicted to Softballfans
the slide rule was put in place to help avoid any collisions, thus, injuries. A catcher diving for the plate has no chance of colliding with the runner, so, in the spirit the rule was meant, the runner is out, if the catcher hit the plate before that runner crosses the line or hits the safety plate. For the record, our league abandoned the no slide rule, as it seems to provoke more collisions than prevents. Also gives an excuse for the clumsy buggers that
trip over second....

HAT MAN

Addicted to Softballfans
the slide rule was put in place to help avoid any collisions, thus, injuries. A catcher diving for the plate has no chance of colliding with the runner, so, in the spirit the rule was meant, the runner is out, if the catcher hit the plate before that runner crosses the line or hits the safety plate. For the record, our league abandoned the no slide rule, as it seems to provoke more collisions than prevents. Also gives an excuse for the clumsy buggers that
trip over second....

Yes true, the part I do not get is no sliding over the line clearly away from the plate or batters box. If the rule is to prevent collisions, and no collisions are possible in my scenario then a slide should be allowed. I think its added to make the safe out call much easier.

OldguyinHavasu

Addicted to Softballfans
why would you slow your momentum with a slide, rather than continue running full speed through the line/safety plate? Never understood that, or sliding into first...sliding slows you down.

HAT MAN

Addicted to Softballfans
why would you slow your momentum with a slide, rather than continue running full speed through the line/safety plate? Never understood that, or sliding into first...sliding slows you down.
lol ohhhh trust me you wont see me sliding or diving unless I fall.
just a question for discussion wont matter either way to my playing. Just like to understand the dynamics of the rules both as an umpire and a player.