You're the manager what do you do in my situation?

Why did you apologize? You didn't have any cause for that. I'm sure as heck not apologizing to someone for A) moving them down one spot in the lineup to try and make it more potent and B) telling someone that is yelling, cussing and causing a scene on my own team to take the night off.

Dirty.D

Star Player
Why did you apologize? You didn't have any cause for that. I'm sure as heck not apologizing to someone for A) moving them down one spot in the lineup to try and make it more potent and B) telling someone that is yelling, cussing and causing a scene on my own team to take the night off.

To be a bigger person and to show how one's supposed to act. My hope was that he would step forward and show some maturity but he didn't.

Being a manager is annoying at times. I don't think people realize it's a pain in the ass. I appreciate everyone's response and not just baggin on me.

MaverickAH

The next day I traded texts with him. I apologized to him if he felt i disrespected him by moving him down one. I asked that he pull me to the side and not scream at me on the field.

He didn't apologize for his actions but did say he was joining the other team. I even replied with something to the extent good luck, but i don't think you legally can join another team. He then obviously lied and said the league approved it.

Bad move. Sounds like you were inviting him back or, at the very least, giving him an opening in which he could return to the team. You could have continued to be stuck with this guy!

Well if he said the league approved it, that absolves you of any responsibility. You can't be ratting anyone out if the league already knows, can you? :p

At the very least you should let the team he's joining know that if they play him, they run the risk of forfeiting the game if called on it.

DStandridge

OHIPAL
If this was said in a previous post, I'm sorry for copying you. I didn't have the time to read all the replies.

It's only softball, I wouldn't rat him out. Big deal.

But what I would do, is if you're able to. Intentionally walk him every single at bat.

Tomj2345

aka...TOM A.V.
Yes...Walk him and I would let the other Team know the rules but not rat him out...Can you get video of him going nuts when you walk him and post it here?

To be a bigger person and to show how one's supposed to act. My hope was that he would step forward and show some maturity but he didn't.

Being a manager is annoying at times. I don't think people realize it's a pain in the ass. I appreciate everyone's response and not just baggin on me.

I understand that hope, but if he's had a history of this behavior, I'd assume he's not going to change.

I manage a team as well, and for the good of the team as a whole and everyone else's enjoyment, I can't allow one person to ruin the team for everyone else.

You kicked him off before he found another team. Now Hes screwed over for the rest of the summer 'kuz of the 3 game rule and your going to rat him out? If he was that much of a threat, you would've just sucked it up. You get to carry on with your fun group of guys. He gets to play on a team he thinks he deserves. How far are you trying to go with this?

Space_cadet

Star Player
Alot of people mention calling him out at his at-bat. i think that is a good idea. If he takes softball that serious to ***** about a lineup spot then he needs to take the season off, with the help of a suspension. I'm thankful my team doesn't have d-bags like that on the team.

rookienewb

Star Player
Every team has a player like this to some extent. Doesn't matter how good you are, there's no excuse for being a total douche bag and a cancer to the team. You did the right thing

eric89074

Addicted to Softballfans
Don't waste your time thinking about it. He'll screw up with his new team too and get kicked off.

dan

Manager
Does the other team not know the rule? Or are they brazen about breaking it?

Don't they realize they'll have to forfeit every game he has played in if someone - anyone - calls them on it?

Don't all the other teams in your league know that he's illegally switched teams?

Doesn't his new team realize that every other team in the league, not just yours, can call for a roster check anytime, which will be disastrous for them?

And by the way, I think you were lucky to be rid of him so easily.

Dirty.D

Star Player
Just wanted to give an update on what happened with Hot Shot. He was being his ****y self before the game so I figured I'd completely ignore him.

Until he came up to bat. Bottom of the 1st, 1 on and 1 out, he walks up to bat. I turn around and yell to my team "Back up! We got a power hitter here!". First pitch he swings and misses. 2nd pitch I throw some junk. He lets it go by for a ball. 3rd pitch I throw a curve pitch that he has never seen me throw before and he fouls out. (might have been that i was lucky but it was a great pitch)

We beat them 22-3. He went 1-4, with a foul-strike out, a pop up to SS, a single, and a pop up to 1st.

So much for Mr. "I'm a power hitter so I need to be hitting 4th."

swingaway06

Addicted to Softballfans
You handled it with more class than some might have. If it were me I would have gave the LD his info so he couldn't switch teams and really stick it to him so he'd have to wait out the season to join another team. At some point the league has to have a little integrity where idiots like Hot Shot can't just pack up his bag and find another team midseason because he doesn't like how he is being used.

Just wanted to give an update on what happened with Hot Shot. He was being his ****y self before the game so I figured I'd completely ignore him.

Until he came up to bat. Bottom of the 1st, 1 on and 1 out, he walks up to bat. I turn around and yell to my team "Back up! We got a power hitter here!". First pitch he swings and misses. 2nd pitch I throw some junk. He lets it go by for a ball. 3rd pitch I throw a curve pitch that he has never seen me throw before and he fouls out. (might have been that i was lucky but it was a great pitch)

We beat them 22-3. He went 1-4, with a foul-strike out, a pop up to SS, a single, and a pop up to 1st.

That's the best kind of revenge/justice, beating them soundly on the field and him not justifying his actions at all.

whogotz

dilligaf?
great result, well handled. sad thing is he is such a douchebag that he wont get it and still carry on with his bull****

the5abes

what's up Doc?
let him play for the other team.
you know when the other team plays ... sneak over to his house and do his wife / gf.
sucks to be him.

russ13

Coach
He's a cancer.....and drama queen. Letting him go was the best thing you could've done for your team, don't dare take him back tho.

zuke 37

Star Player
notify the director that you are releasing the guy, NEVER BURN THE BRIDGE YOU'RE STANDING ON
let nature take its coarse, he may want to come back, and that is when you tell him "if I take you back
i will loose 6 guys SORRY"

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans

This is great, lol. Please tell me he had some sort of rant/tantrum during the game.

Laoch

Bearded. Drunk. Dominant.
I just want to point out that I was the best player on the team. I'm glad I left and went to this other team because now I'm the best player on that team too!

P.S. I had a bad game because I forgot my bats at home and had to swing Demarini's all night.

ming01

DMVWinning
I manage a team that is in a lower league that is in our 3rd season together. We have a fun group of guys but like most teams we have one negative nancy on the team. Hot Shot thinks he still is in his high school glory days and is the best player on a team. The issue with him is that he brings major negativity on the team and a few guys believe he's making everyone uptight.

Fast forward to our 4th game of the season...

After bottom of the first and only giving up 2 runs our team jogs off the field getting ready to hit. I take 1st base coach. Hot Shot looks over at the hitting order and comes out of the dugout raising his voice in anger of where he is hitting. I moved him from 5th in the order to 6th. I put our 2nd fastest guy in front of him hoping Hot Shot would get some good RBI's. I meant nothing by it other than that.

Hot Shot starts to mouth off about how he's a power hitter and power hitters hit in the 3rd or 4th spot and yata-yata-yata. He's becoming very angry even though I'm trying to keep my cool. After trying to get him to listen and realize there is nothing i can do now I tell him, "good bye Hot shot. Go home, we don't need you tonight."

Hot Shot storms off cussing up a storm. He sees the team that's playing after us and he asks to join their team. He knows a few of the guys and our team isn't annoyed he's gone. We win our game 20-13. The team behind us with the new hot shot lose 20-4. I text him the next day to apologize but to ask that if he has issues with me to pull me to the side and not yell out and scream. He informs me that he's joined the other team and that he was disrespected by moving down 1 spot.

I email the commish of our league and ask him if a player came move teams mid season. He states no and that to inform him of the team and he will call them and let them know. And that if the team plays with him it will be forced to forfeit.

Do I reply with the info or hell it's just softball? I want you to tell me what you do.

Oh and our team plays Hot Shot's new team next week.

In short:
Player gets pissy and is very loudly angry in a game with the manager. Is asked to go home.. He leaves but joins another team. It's against the rules. Do I be the bigger person and ignore it or do I get him basically booted for the season?

just explain to him the situation. most teams will have guys that dont like where they bat/play. i usually try to explain to somebody why theyre at a certain position or place in the order. something like "i want you batting here to have a good hitter help out the bottom." or "i like your speed here." if you explain it in a positive way they shouldnt have an issue with it. if he is a major problem sometimes you just have to go your seperate ways. but give him a choice, he can take it or leave it.