Is the game actually ruined?

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
The game has evolved, and not to many peoples liking. Whats ruined the game is the epidemic of disrespect, Not bats or balls. We played for the fun of competing and once you stepped on the field you respected the people playing weather you liked them or not. You played your game and didnt say crap to anyone but your own team. The 10% of people that ran their mouths were the ones everyone hated and now it seems like running your mouth is 90% of the game. We Never wanted to fight people or hurt them, we just played our game and beat you with speed and skill. Now everyone is a ghetto gang banger thats gonna Kill you over a game.... Yeah I want to be part of that. /Rant

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The pitchers weren't getting peppered by guys trying not to hit DBO's after the homerun limit was reached.

I've never seen someone go middle in an unlimited hr tourney. Not once.

I disagree completely. People hit middle all the time no matter what the hr rules are. The reason middle wasn't being peppered back then like it is now is because you didn't have a bat that was hot from the taper to the cap. You had to be a really good hitter or really strong to blast middle on an inside pitch because if you missed the SS the pitcher could handle it fairly easily. Also, people didn't stand with just their toes on the chalk either. They tended to take a more standard baseball stance in the batter's box.

The game has evolved, and not to many peoples liking. Whats ruined the game is the epidemic of disrespect, Not bats or balls. We played for the fun of competing and once you stepped on the field you respected the people playing weather you liked them or not. You played your game and didnt say crap to anyone but your own team. The 10% of people that ran their mouths were the ones everyone hated and now it seems like running your mouth is 90% of the game. We Never wanted to fight people or hurt them, we just played our game and beat you with speed and skill. Now everyone is a ghetto gang banger thats gonna Kill you over a game.... Yeah I want to be part of that. /Rant

I blame society for that, but I also blame the equipment. You've got more of those losers in the game because the game isn't as hard as it used to be. The guys that quit sports because it took work now play softball where even the people that don't cheat have shortcuts galore. You think those guys care about respecting their opponent, cheating, or sportsmanship of any kind? I used to play against former athletes. Now I play against guys that couldn't play anything past little league and were in the AV club in school.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I ****ing love it.................. The bats do everything now....No one swings them. They swing themselves and no one has ability. No wonder the sport is in the ****ter........Players aren't even playing any more...It's just equipment on the field.

Joker

****, i agree with buggs

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I disagree completely. People hit middle all the time no matter what the hr rules are. The reason middle wasn't being peppered back then like it is now is because you didn't have a bat that was hot from the taper to the cap.

Locally, we don't have a huge problem with guys hitting middle on purpose. But we get some "oops" shots from guys trying not to hit it out. They try to go oppo on an inside pitch and up the middle it goes. The unlimited hr tourneys eliminate a lot of the accidental shots because everyone is trying to swing out of their shoes and pull the hell out of the ball. But yeah, if you play with guys that purposely blast middle, a rule change won't affect that.

I blame society for that, but I also blame the equipment. You've got more of those losers in the game because the game isn't as hard as it used to be. The guys that quit sports because it took work now play softball where even the people that don't cheat have shortcuts galore. You think those guys care about respecting their opponent, cheating, or sportsmanship of any kind? I used to play against former athletes. Now I play against guys that couldn't play anything past little league and were in the AV club in school.

^^^ This is the root of the problem as I see it. Whiny, out of shape, bad-attitude dooshers buying a $200+ bat and still competing. That's why I love wood bat softball so much, it exposes the posers and shows who can actually play.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ****ing love it.................. The bats do everything now....No one swings them. They swing themselves and no one has ability. No wonder the sport is in the ****ter........Players aren't even playing any more...It's just equipment on the field.

You know exactly what I mean.

When it was DDW versus PSTs people would work to swing the PST because it was hotter and more durable. A lot of people swung the DDW, but it was almost implied that they had to because they needed the larger sweetspot, and that sweetspot didn't even compare to today's composites.

Good players still hit, but you know there are way more douchebags buying huge barrel or fastpitch bats, rolling or shaving the piss out of them and hitting half-swing lazers with a 3rd grader's mechanics.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Locally, we don't have a huge problem with guys hitting middle on purpose. But we get some "oops" shots from guys trying not to hit it out. They try to go oppo on an inside pitch and up the middle it goes. The unlimited hr tourneys eliminate a lot of the accidental shots because everyone is trying to swing out of their shoes and pull the hell out of the ball. But yeah, if you play with guys that purposely blast middle, a rule change won't affect that.

^^^ This is the root of the problem as I see it. Whiny, out of shape, bad-attitude dooshers buying a $200+ bat and still competing. That's why I love wood bat softball so much, it exposes the posers and shows who can actually play.

I didn't notice you were in Canada. Hopefully you have less of the Wild West, mine's bigger than yours, if you don't like me hitting it there stop it mentality that we have.

To be clear, I love people hitting middle. I'm just tired of the bad swing with timing off still hitting the middle hard by a huge barrel or a very thin walls.

dremersvision

Addicted to Softballfans
Something recently happened in our league that had me pissed.

A team with a bunch of C level players decide to play down(sand bag). They play against a team where a newbie accidently hit middle, These C level players decide that they would pay the team back by hitting just about every shot towards the pitcher. The issue is that the pitcher was no spring chicken and it almost ended up in a brawl because these C level players are known for behaving like this.

I guess my issue is more with the lack of class and tact on the fields. I don't see the point of going middle against a team that is so far below my teams skill level. Some of these guys don't think about the fact that most people go to work the next morning. Hitting shot after shot towards an older pitcher that does not have the reflexes of a 20 yr old is mind boggling and it shows zero class. I think thats the problem with softball today.

12th Man

OG COMbatant

When it was DDW versus PSTs people would work to swing the PST because it was hotter and more durable. A lot of people swung the DDW, but it was almost implied that they had to because they needed the larger sweetspot, and that sweetspot didn't even compare to today's composites.

Good players still hit, but you know there are way more douchebags buying huge barrel or fastpitch bats, rolling or shaving the piss out of them and hitting half-swing lazers with a 3rd grader's mechanics.

23266068.jpg

b#7

CAPN MORGAN
I didn't notice you were in Canada. Hopefully you have less of the Wild West, mine's bigger than yours, if you don't like me hitting it there stop it mentality that we have.

To be clear, I love people hitting middle. I'm just tired of the bad swing with timing off still hitting the middle hard by a huge barrel or a very thin walls.

What about the pitcher throwing a screw ball inside when the batter is trying to go backside. Look out JBO my bad bro. :eek:

BeagleHound24

Starting Player
finding a league that fits your teams skillset is very important. The getting your ass kicked is part of it especially in the first season until every finds their spot and you get some consistency.

Ive played ten years now, and balls have changed, bats have gotten better... but generally speaking the teams that put effort into learning defense actually fare the best. Too many teams Ive seen that have 10 guys hitting bombs and unable to field a simple ground ball in the infield.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS

I prefered the PST.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Brag posts reported!

FWIW, I swung the Demarini Doublewall and your women always preferred to use my longer barrel.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
I didn't know about PST's for a bit, but I probably wouldn't have spent that much on a bat.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vandy was my favorite. I liked them all but the Xtra. Would probably like to have a PSTOC now if I could find one with a clean taper.

I have a Lithium TST for bp, and it sounds like a PST, but is nowhere near as hot. It's good enough for the few times a year I want to swing a metal bat.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just to be on topic, I know we'd all love certain things, but would you rather play with 52/300s and have the participation we had ten years ago, or would you rather hit harder balls with unlimited hrs and have to play the same guys all the time?

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Just to be on topic, I know we'd all love certain things, but would you rather play with 52/300s and have the participation we had ten years ago, or would you rather hit harder balls with unlimited hrs and have to play the same guys all the time?

The ball won't attract anybody to the game imo. They don't understand the safety and will be negatively impacted by the increased ability needed to hit the ball well. Getting teams to play against teams of similar ability is the best thing you can do for the sport. A local league that does the best job of this is actually growing.

Tourney ball would be a whole different ball game if teams could get into it without getting rolled up right off the get go. I'm curious to see what happens to tourney ball over the next 10yrs when as the same old guys playing each other get burned out, injured, and move on.

Fuzz

Extra Hitter
The ball won't attract anybody to the game imo. They don't understand the safety and will be negatively impacted by the increased ability needed to hit the ball well. Getting teams to play against teams of similar ability is the best thing you can do for the sport. A local league that does the best job of this is actually growing.

Tourney ball would be a whole different ball game if teams could get into it without getting rolled up right off the get go. I'm curious to see what happens to tourney ball over the next 10yrs when as the same old guys playing each other get burned out, injured, and move on.

I totally agree

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
I'm curious to see what happens to tourney ball over the next 10yrs when as the same old guys playing each other get burned out, injured, and move on.

This is why I don't know if I want to keep dedicating time to tournament ball. I think league ball will always have a place, but tournament ball has taken a big hit since I started playing.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
This is why I don't know if I want to keep dedicating time to tournament ball. I think league ball will always have a place, but tournament ball has taken a big hit since I started playing.

League ball is starting to struggle in our area as well though. Too many teams loading up to crush the less talented teams. Even in the competitive divisions, there are 1 or 2 teams that are leaps and bounds better than the rest of the division, and those teams get mollywopped week in and week out.

I think it was said before but tournament ball is losing the influx of young talent in my opinion. Kids coming out of high school start out playing league ball and if they happen to be on one of the aforementioned teams getting mollywopped every week, what desire do they have to give up a saturday for what could potentially be the same result?

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
League ball is starting to struggle in our area as well though. Too many teams loading up to crush the less talented teams. Even in the competitive divisions, there are 1 or 2 teams that are leaps and bounds better than the rest of the division, and those teams get mollywopped week in and week out.

I think it was said before but tournament ball is losing the influx of young talent in my opinion. Kids coming out of high school start out playing league ball and if they happen to be on one of the aforementioned teams getting mollywopped every week, what desire do they have to give up a saturday for what could potentially be the same result?

At least in my area(St. Louis metropolitan) I'm seeing a decent influx of young talent into league ball. We have tons of leagues in the area. Those same young players rarely make the transition into tournament ball.