Is the game actually ruined?

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Now we are talkin'!

I got what you were saying. :bigok:

Just that a lot of these guys haven't seen pitchers that do that. A majority of them wear shin guard, helmets, face masks and 14" gloves......Release the ball and then stand there like a statue while they get pelted and ***** about it. It never used to be like that. They weren't protected. They protected themselves by moving back, get in a good position and being ready for the ball. Now....They'd rather just stand there and ***** about someone hitting a ball toward the biggest hole in the infield....The one to their immediate left and right.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans

Just that a lot of these guys haven't seen pitchers that do that. A majority of them wear shin guard, helmets, face masks and 14" gloves......Release the ball and then stand there like a statue while they get pelted and ***** about it. It never used to be like that. They weren't protected. They protected themselves by moving back, get in a good position and being ready for the ball. Now....They'd rather just stand there and ***** about someone hitting a ball toward the biggest hole in the infield....The one to their immediate left and right.

I underhand that full well... Pitchers do that a lot. I hate hitting against a guy that just stands there. If pitchers could understand that pitching is something they WANTED to do for the most part and that if they don't want to get hit at then there are 10 other spots to play. Big difference in a player hitting middle and hitting at you. Either way, pitchers know they risk. The common rational thought process is not there. If it was then the game would be less ruined

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps

Most of that is the players fault.
How many people talk about not hitting middle so the pitchers started thinking they didn't have to get out of the way or be ready for a ball hit at them, when it did happen his team would try to kill the other teams pitcher.
If we had as many videos here of pitchers who really know how to play the position more pitchers would learn the craft instead of just chunking the ball and let the defense worry about the rest.
I wouldn't hit a pitcher on purpose but the hole between him and short is fair game, many pitcher complain when I hit there and it wasn't within 5 foot of them.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I crushed a guy earlier this summer................ :(

10590450_10152183209995796_5060062807721481106_n.jpg

He saw where it was floating and tried to get out of the way I just going to the right of him and he moved the wrong way and got him. No bitching, no crying, not complaining. I told him I was sorry I got him, and he said, "Those things happen sometimes in this game....." and let it go at that. No middle war or any of that bull****.....Ninety percent of the time though, with today's players, there'd be a fight over this.

SQUAD UP 99

Addicted to Softballfans
i will never wear protective equipment.like you guys were saying.if a pitcher doesn't have the good sense to pitch and get back ready to field then said pitcher needs another position

TxSwitchman

Addicted to Softballfans
Yea first pitch I saw in my league game Fri night came in flat and I happen to hit it right back at the pitchers feet. He jumped over it and making my way to first I was apologizing.

Last edited:

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
i will never wear protective equipment.like you guys were saying.if a pitcher doesn't have the good sense to pitch and get back ready to field then said pitcher needs another position

Not wanting to get hit and being safe while pitching is 2 different things. Protecting yourself from equipment that has surpassed and enhanced human ability to levels that can cause injury and death is a smart thing to do. To me that goes hand and hand with knowing how to pitch

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Week before my wedding, I almost took a bad hop to the face at 2b. Got my glove in time, but if he would have given me a black eye I would have had to given that batter a beating.

Joker

with places here that have a rubber that sits on top of the dirt and places that use the 44/375 multi-layer TAs with new ASA bats, yea i'm wearing my mask

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
I'm in the camp of wanting more HRs. That, or move the fences back. 330' down the line, 365' to center. 10' fences. Classic Ms. That sounds fun.

Most fun I've ever had was unlimited bomb tourneys. In fact, I ran a tourney just last week. We did unlimited bombs and there was lots of smiles.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm in the camp of wanting more HRs. That, or move the fences back. 330' down the line, 365' to center. 10' fences. Classic Ms. That sounds fun.

Most fun I've ever had was unlimited bomb tourneys. In fact, I ran a tourney just last week. We did unlimited bombs and there was lots of smiles.

Bigger fences leads to hotter bats and hotter balls which by many's account is why we are discussing if the game is ruined.

Then factor In how much it would cost to move fences back to those dimensions since most fields are s in the ground at 300 feet or less.

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
You don't play OF I am guessing.

You know the answer to that question.

Bigger fences leads to hotter bats and hotter balls which by many's account is why we are discussing if the game is ruined.

Then factor In how much it would cost to move fences back to those dimensions since most fields are s in the ground at 300 feet or less.

The bats are already hot. Balls keep getting worse and worse. I just think penalizing someone for putting a good swing on a ball is ridiculous.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
You know the answer to that question.

The bats are already hot. Balls keep getting worse and worse. I just think penalizing someone for putting a good swing on a ball is ridiculous.

Do you not like the lower compression balls? If not, how come?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Classic M's are the worst. I like 44/375s okay, and think 44/400s are basically the same. The Classic M's are the ones that are sponges above 80 and bricks below 70, and they make the shaved bats hit the ball almost 50-75 feet farther. Then, in the cold, they destroy you if you're hit by them.

Don't forget, people are dying from being hit in the head by thrown balls too.

All I come back to with the baseball size field guys is the pitcher is still the same distance away. I'd be fine with playing with 52s and having unlimited in A and up, 15 in B, 10 in C, and 7 in D, and 2 in E. A real E team would never hit 2 homeruns without a 40 mph tailwind hitting 52s, and bumps up in class would be easier.

The only difference in unlimited hrs on a baseball field and 44/400s and any bat and unlimited on a 300' field and 52/275s and ASA or Utrip bats is the less ground to cover in the OF and the IF. IMO

Playmaka37

The Professor
Game sucks now.......not even close. The composite bat did in the game. Players that couldn't hit, became decent hitters due to composite bat and shaving.
Thanks.

franknwhit

Game on!
Unlimited Home runs if it not it's a out. Home run hitters is just a testosterone thing. I've played the game many years and never tried to hit home runs. Would take a team of place hitters any day before home run hitters good gloves and good base running skills any day. Learned the craft of the game in the early days. Just me and how I play the game and put my teams together. All ways played U-trip D's and ASA C's even though it was 1 home run in ASA C's. The farther you move fences back the bigger the outfield gets and move room to place the ball. The game is about adjustments wither it's the bat's balls or anything else, build your teams accordingly and go play ball.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Unlimited Home runs if it not it's a out. Home run hitters is just a testosterone thing. I've played the game many years and never tried to hit home runs. Would take a team of place hitters any day before home run hitters good gloves and good base running skills any day. Learned the craft of the game in the early days. Just me and how I play the game and put my teams together. All ways played U-trip D's and ASA C's even though it was 1 home run in ASA C's. The farther you move fences back the bigger the outfield gets and move room to place the ball. The game is about adjustments wither it's the bat's balls or anything else, build your teams accordingly and go play ball.

That's just it... People build teams based upon rules of associations... When one association doesn't let something happen that "team a" wants then they go play "association b." When "team b" don't get what they want they play "association a" and so on and so forth. To many options on how and where to play to make teams play the correct way

Last edited:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's just it... People build teams based upon rules of associations... When one association doesn't let something happen that "team a" wants ten the go play "association b." When "team b" don't get what they want they play "association a" and so on and so forth. To many options on how and where to play to make teams play the correct way

That's what's happened down here. We used to have Freedom, UTrip, and NSA which barely even played by NSA rules. We had no NSA down here this year, but had Freedom, GSA, GSL, WSL, UTrip, and ISA. That's not even including the non-association and charity tournies.

The rules aren't that different. They jump from one to another to either play down or because a TD disrespected them by not letting them pick up a conference guy, etc.

Ignorance is bliss, and I want to go back to just having fun. It almost makes me think the internet killed softball more than the Ultras.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
That's what's happened down here. We used to have Freedom, UTrip, and NSA which barely even played by NSA rules. We had no NSA down here this year, but had Freedom, GSA, GSL, WSL, UTrip, and ISA. That's not even including the non-association and charity tournies.

The rules aren't that different. They jump from one to another to either play down or because a TD disrespected them by not letting them pick up a conference guy, etc.

Ignorance is bliss, and I want to go back to just having fun. It almost makes me think the internet killed softball more than the Ultras.

We have a local website that let's you know what tourneys are being played in the surrounding areas and let's you know what teams have signed up for it. I can't tell you how many times a team has called me to enter a tournament and ask if this or that team Is playing and if this or that team is playing then they will play else where. I can't tell you how many phone calls I get asking of the tournament is going to make. Instead of choosing one tournament people wait to see how many teams and what teams are playing. There are generally 4-5 tournaments a weekend within 80 miles of eachother. To me, that has killed softball. Too many options to have to play the way you should