NSA going to 44 cor balls???

Country469

big deal at this point, they've been out of production for what 6-7 years now? Not like they are any better than the new stamp bats.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I fail to see why the ball thing for NSA is such a big deal. If NSA is losing teams/money I have to think its for some reason other than balls. USSSA and ASA also use .52 275 balls and I don't see a ton of griping because of it. Hell, I've been hitting .52s in league and tournaments now for close to 10 years. The balls really aren't a huge deal.

I guess I don't mind that NSA is bringing back the .44 400, but I like that they're still keeping the .52 275 as an option.

4xtra

Player/Coach
ALL sanctions should go to .52 300s and keep them. .44 400s are too hard, and in cold/cool weather they're zero fun to play with. .52s in the heat do take some skill to hit out, but so what. Isn't softball supposed to take skill to be good at?

I for one prefer playing with .52s over any other ball. Anyone who quits a sanction over the fact that they use .52s is a freaking pansy.

From a safety standpoint, .52s are FAR safer than any other ball. I see guys get hit with thrown and batted balls frequently. They never get seriously injured. That wasn't the case at all with .44s or classic Ms.

.52s will bounce erratically on the infield at times, but all the guys I know who play with them have become used to it and learned how to safely field them.

Im actually start to like 52's.I have been swinging a Old School Demarini One that I got on here and it is KILLIN the 52..
It is not really a bad performing ball at all.

And you are correct about the saftey factor with the 52 vs a 44/400.
Those 44/400 are missiles and I have seen girls get hit hard with a 52 and they dont even flinch.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
my only gripe with 52/275s here is the badens they use go to mush way too fast...

Badens have gone to crap lately. The C+ ones are terrible now. They used to be among the best C+ balls out there. Not anymore.

Tictac020

Addicted to BP
I can’t believe they are switching back to the 44/400 balls! Used to play crap teams who would hit pop up homers because we played with that ball and they thought their team was badas$......now we went to 52/275’s and our team is working folks and all the sudden a bunch of fatties and no defense teams complaining about the 52 balls.....I hit 37 homers last yr all with the 52 and I am a little guy! But I use good whip and am a pretty good hitter. I hate this move back to 44’s honestly....I play CF and I could track and run down most balls.....now bringing 44’s back and balls are being rocketed off the fence by crap players......annoying

bakesta72

washed up hasbeen of SBF
You want roster policing, come play NSA in Missouri. Play within the confines of their points system and they still bump you if they don't like you. Thanks to our director I'm a gold player even though I didn't play a single inning of NSA last year.

its because you make internet videos....

jhitman

I fail to see why the ball thing for NSA is such a big deal. If NSA is losing teams/money I have to think its for some reason other than balls. USSSA and ASA also use .52 275 balls and I don't see a ton of griping because of it. Hell, I've been hitting .52s in league and tournaments now for close to 10 years. The balls really aren't a huge deal.

I guess I don't mind that NSA is bringing back the .44 400, but I like that they're still keeping the .52 275 as an option.

It's pretty much all ASA here with the exception of some coed leagues. I think we have been hitting 52's for close to 10 years too. I don't see our LD's ever switching back. There has been talk in the 50+ leagues of going back to 44's, but the switch has never been passed. Most of the senior guys would like the switch as most don't like the 52's. The safety issue seems to be the determining factor. I have seen far less injuries since we went to the 52's. The only detriment is the occasional bad hops you get with them from time to time. My personal preference is that we stay with the 52's as there are only a handful of us that can hit them out. Back in the day with the 47 cor 525 comps or the 44 cor 375 comps almost everyone was hitting them out.

I can only report what people have told me. USSSA/GSL is the only local way to play now.

NSA pays winners, has a better roster system, and lets you hit your own balls. It's an overall a better sanction, but it's dead. It's not like people are huge fans of dancing pitchers and ankle high strikes. So it must be something - and the ball seemed to be the #1 reason. I think they acted too late, but we'll have to see.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can only report what people have told me. USSSA/GSL is the only local way to play now.

NSA pays winners, has a better roster system, and lets you hit your own balls. It's an overall a better sanction, but it's dead. It's not like people are huge fans of dancing pitchers and ankle high strikes. So it must be something - and the ball seemed to be the #1 reason. I think they acted too late, but we'll have to see.
Because most softball players are bitches. The gsl ball is a decent ball for July here. The rest of the time it's way too much. Add in the dhh and you have softball player heaven. All offense and no defense.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Serious question, what are they going to do about compression? NSA used to test bats over and over again, and if they didn't pass at any time the bat was banned. What's going to happen when they test a freak 30 that's failing compression and it surpasses 1.20 bpf? Are they going to ban them? I bet every worth and miken fails eventually because they haven't cared about that for ages with compression testing. As long as their bat fails compression before surpassing 1.20 utrip wouldn't have cared.

msw4indy

Addicted to Softballfans
Most of the internet seems to hate said videos though. IJS.

I have watched your videos enough that my wife, who doesn't know a thing about softball except that I play, even asks what bat you are reviewing when she hears your voice;)

Country469

Serious question, what are they going to do about compression? NSA used to test bats over and over again, and if they didn't pass at any time the bat was banned. What's going to happen when they test a freak 30 that's failing compression and it surpasses 1.20 bpf? Are they going to ban them? I bet every worth and miken fails eventually because they haven't cared about that for ages with compression testing. As long as their bat fails compression before surpassing 1.20 utrip wouldn't have cared.

I'm fairly certain they cannot ban them, since they licensed them and took money for them. New standard could come about, but won't. This is a last chance money play here, they are throwing safety out the window completely in hopes to regain market share. Its not gonna work. Softball is contracting too much on a national level.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm fairly certain they cannot ban them, since they licensed them and took money for them. New standard could come about, but won't. This is a last chance money play here, they are throwing safety out the window completely in hopes to regain market share. Its not gonna work. Softball is contracting too much on a national level.
I haven't kept up with NSA since 2007 directly, but that was the big deal with miken in 2004/5. Miken wouldn't sign the NSA freak because they said they were going to buy bats if the shelves, unannounced, and test them and hit them and test them and hit them, and if they ever failed bpf they were going to ban them. The 2012 stamp might be because they took that wording out, but that was how it used to be. Freaks weren't legal in NSA and people could never figure it out. They finally came to an agreement obviously, but you get my meaning. I agree, NSA is so small I doubt anyone cares.

I ran two teams this year (just rec league, one friends, one a work team). One league used 52/300 balls (uses NSA rule book), the other league used 44/375 (uses ISA rule book). But both required NSA 2012 logo on bats. Makes no sense at all.

Rumor was that the one league was going to switch back to 44/375 balls. Crap is confusing.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I ran two teams this year (just rec league, one friends, one a work team). One league used 52/300 balls (uses NSA rule book), the other league used 44/375 (uses ISA rule book). But both required NSA 2012 logo on bats. Makes no sense at all.

Rumor was that the one league was going to switch back to 44/375 balls. Crap is confusing.

Its super confusing. In the name of safety, all these softball sanctions should use .52 300 balls. Everyone knows that .44 375 is way too much ball for today's bats. It makes the game not even fun to play anymore.

NSA here uses .52 275 and the balls suck. Thing is, I don't mind that. They still fly out if you hit them properly. It should take skill to hit HRs. We shouldn't be out here hitting golf balls.

Tictac020

Addicted to BP
i agree as well. we use 52/275 and I think all associations should just go to the 52/300 softball. Heck, stop making synthetic covers and just strictly make composite. That way all you can buy is composite. If our league around here would just switch to a composite ball, the ball would fly 5-10ft farther. We use the crappy Dudley Thunder SY 52/275 synthetic ball. It sucks but people who can hit homers can still hit them out. I just hate the fact we are going back to 44/400's..... It makes no sense. We are literally collecting money right now for our pitcher to get a helmet. just dumb.

billvp

Addicted to Softballfans
I've only played in one league which allowed 52s, and they allowed both 44/375 and 52/300. Every team still used 44/375 except one that had both and seemed to randomly toss one or the other in at times. The 52 bounced about 6 inches high or so when it was in there compared to what I was used to at ss ... it was just enough to mess me up.

Looking back on it, I should have had the pitcher announce each time a new ball came in (from fouls or whatever) which ball it was. However, muscle memory probably still would have expected the normal hop.

billvp

Addicted to Softballfans
Its super confusing. In the name of safety, all these softball sanctions should use .52 300 balls. Everyone knows that .44 375 is way too much ball for today's bats. It makes the game not even fun to play anymore.

NSA here uses .52 275 and the balls suck. Thing is, I don't mind that. They still fly out if you hit them properly. It should take skill to hit HRs. We shouldn't be out here hitting golf balls.

Aren't you in CO or something where the ball travels extra far? The 44/375 is fine for most rec leagues if they had some good way of checking bats. I support the 52/300 in theory since it supposedly minimizes the shaved bat effect.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aren't you in CO or something where the ball travels extra far? The 44/375 is fine for most rec leagues if they had some good way of checking bats. I support the 52/300 in theory since it supposedly minimizes the shaved bat effect.
Where are you? In South ga the 44/375 want to bad unless it was cold, but we still had a lot of Joe nobodies hitting homeruns. Not as many accidents as here in KY, but still way more than you should have. Accidental homerun should be rare below the c level.

Country469

I played two tournies all year. 2nd was hitting a 44 375. First swing went 350 on line with a freak 30. It was not a good swing. That combo is deadly

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

I do live in CO, yes. Using .44 375s or classic Ms here is dumb with the bats available now. It isn't even fun when everyone on the field is hitting missiles through the infield that no one can see or 400' bombs.

And yes, the ball really does fly further in CO than most other places. Even from somewhere like Vegas I can tell the difference.

.52 300 balls are more than adequate here. They fly out with relative ease.

I like composite covered balls too, but I think they're too expensive to use for league. All the leagues here supply the balls, so they buy cheap synthetics. For tournies we provide our own and generally bring higher end composite cover balls.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Where are you? In South ga the 44/375 want to bad unless it was cold, but we still had a lot of Joe nobodies hitting homeruns. Not as many accidents as here in KY, but still way more than you should have. Accidental homerun should be rare below the c level.

Things are bad with the bats here. I won't even say the bats are altered, just well used. We'll have teams of D and below players hitting 10 or more HR a game. Many of them without even trying. Anyone who says the bats in softball today aren't a problem is nuts. The ball is about the only recourse to quickly fix the problem. I think even the .52 300 is too lively though.