NSA going to 44 cor balls???

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
if you can cut a 52/300 (and any other ball for that matter) consistently, it'll go...I can't...but I've seen the people that do ;)

Yeah, .52s fly great. I think I see just as many HRs with them as I ever did with .44s. With the bats available now it really doesn't matter how crappy the ball is, it'll still go.

chile

Bad Ape
Yeah, .52s fly great. I think I see just as many HRs with them as I ever did with .44s. With the bats available now it really doesn't matter how crappy the ball is, it'll still go.

Today was the first in a while that I focused on cutting the ball and I'd forgotten how little I do it in BP and games...

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Today was the first in a while that I focused on cutting the ball and I'd forgotten how little I do it in BP and games...

Cutting has its uses. I don't do it all the time, but when I want a low, hard liner in the gap I'll cut a ball. Its a good skill to have. Cutting .52s makes them soar too.

BIG JOE

One hit left!
Guys, it has nothing to do with hr’s. It’s safety of the players. The second and third hops have been very unreliable and dangerous.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys, it has nothing to do with hr’s. It’s safety of the players. The second and third hops have been very unreliable and dangerous.
That's an excellent point. 44/400s never bounce and the obvious safety decision is to go to a ball that scores five times higher on the impact severity index.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the actual thought process of some of the people at NSA though to be fair. Some of their people take being uneducated to an artistic level. It's an insult to bro science to call what they consider science bro science.

Country469

NSA lost customers to freedom (44 425ish) utrip (classic M) and sb nation (44 375) around here when they went full 52

this is about market share and gimmics

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

I'm calling BS on this. .52s have been in use for about a decade now. CO uses them widely for leagues and tournaments. I don't see guys having trouble fielding the ball on the infield. What I HAVE seen a lot of are guys actually able to stay in the game and continue playing after being hit with batted or thrown balls, especially pitchers. I myself have been hit in the head with a .52 ball. It hurt, but I was able to keep playing. A classic M or .44 does far more damage.

From a pitching standpoint the .52 is a much better option. It comes off the bat slower than a .44 or classic M and pitchers have time to react and possibly field the ball.

I think NSAs decision to go back to .44s is shortsighted and stupid. Apparently enough people whined that they weren't successful hitters with .52s and weren't going to play NSA anymore. That despite slowpitch bats being hotter now than they ever have been.

Playing the field and pitching, I'd rather risk a rogue hop from a .52 than a bone crushing smash with a .44.

exccsracer

Scrooge McBase
We played with the ICON ball this past weekend. It was great, right up until the sun went down and the temps dropped. My Fulk didn't like it

psycho88

THE CLEANUP
I have heard this rumor as well, Going to a .44 400 this year... Nowhere have I seen anything posted though

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
We played with the ICON ball this past weekend. It was great, right up until the sun went down and the temps dropped. My Fulk didn't like it
If y'all wanted to buy new bats all year long you're in luck. If you don't compression test you won't have to buy as many.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
So what happened to NSA buying bats of the shelf and hitting them to see if they ever failed and if they did banning them? If that's still in their wording I don't see how any new bats are legal. Especially Mikens and worth.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
So what happened to NSA buying bats of the shelf and hitting them to see if they ever failed and if they did banning them? If that's still in their wording I don't see how any new bats are legal. Especially Mikens and worth.

If they hit those new balls a lot of bats will fail or break (or both) pretty quick.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If they hit those new balls a lot of bats will fail or break (or both) pretty quick.
Do you remember their old rule? They used it to ban the synergy. If failing compression is failing the test, as we're let to believe, nothing will start legal. I'm sure they did away with that rule before switching balls to get players back though.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Do you remember their old rule? They used it to ban the synergy. If failing compression is failing the test, as we're let to believe, nothing will start legal. I'm sure they did away with that rule before switching balls to get players back though.

I'm starting to lose faith in all the major softball sanctions. The bats they allow are too hot and they essentially cater to the crappier players by allowing the hottest equipment possible to be legal. NSA going to .44 400 balls won't do anything positive for the game. All it'll do here in CO is lead to even more injuries and accidental HRs and DBOs.

Country469

How come you ever had faith is what I what I wanna know. These guys can say whatever they want, these are businesses who work on profit. They are catering to the customer. If you wanna lose faith, lose it in the softball player himself who has demanded this equip set up. Its not the bat makers, its not the ball makers, its not the associations nationally, its not the local director. Softball is filled with cheating, out of shape, losers who have to have their cake and and eat it too. We have no one to blame but ourselves. Hence my retirement. Guess what? If wood bat leagues and tourneys started to be all the rage and make coin, the associations would adopt and the bat makers would only sell wood bats. Want change? Gotta be it.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
How come you ever had faith is what I what I wanna know. These guys can say whatever they want, these are businesses who work on profit. They are catering to the customer. If you wanna lose faith, lose it in the softball player himself who has demanded this equip set up. Its not the bat makers, its not the ball makers, its not the associations nationally, its not the local director. Softball is filled with cheating, out of shape, losers who have to have their cake and and eat it too. We have no one to blame but ourselves. Hence my retirement. Guess what? If wood bat leagues and tourneys started to be all the rage and make coin, the associations would adopt and the bat makers would only sell wood bats. Want change? Gotta be it.

Because I was young, stupid, and naive. I lost faith in players a long time ago. All they do is ***** and look for ways to cheat. All the bat manufacturers and sanctions have really done is cater to a bunch of immature, cheating, thuggish babies (players). Not all players fall into that category, but the majority of them do.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because I was young, stupid, and naive. I lost faith in players a long time ago. All they do is ***** and look for ways to cheat. All the bat manufacturers and sanctions have really done is cater to a bunch of immature, cheating, thuggish babies (players). Not all players fall into that category, but the majority of them do.
I don't blame the companies. Easton made the reveals and got hammered. I have never had faith in people to do the right thing, but I expected something out of the associations. They claim to care about safety and actually have to pay insurance.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I don't blame the companies. Easton made the reveals and got hammered. I have never had faith in people to do the right thing, but I expected something out of the associations. They claim to care about safety and actually have to pay insurance.

The attitude for softball in general (players, sanctions, you name it) is just apathy. No one cares about anything anymore. There's no integrity. Technology has ruined the game. The motivation to get better isn't there anymore since the bats and balls do all the work for you now.

Kernsoftball

Just played a Fresno Tourney and we were forced to use and Buy 44/400 new NSA stamped balls. It was a No homerun tourney so we asked to use 52/275s and they said as long as NSA was on it than it's fine. My guess is the Worth Gold Dot 44/400 NSA 2012 stamp are good to go, but we were using Baden Balls I believe 44/400. Just my Experience so far in 2018 NSA

exccsracer

Scrooge McBase
Just played a Fresno Tourney and we were forced to use and Buy 44/400 new NSA stamped balls. It was a No homerun tourney so we asked to use 52/275s and they said as long as NSA was on it than it's fine. My guess is the Worth Gold Dot 44/400 NSA 2012 stamp are good to go, but we were using Baden Balls I believe 44/400. Just my Experience so far in 2018 NSA

Once we burned our HR's we were allowed to switch back to the 52.

exccsracer

Scrooge McBase
If y'all wanted to buy new bats all year long you're in luck. If you don't compression test you won't have to buy as many.

Even if a pitcher gets blown up I have yet to see any association here compression test a bat on the weekend. Our local league compressions test and has made a screen mandatory.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even if a pitcher gets blown up I have yet to see any association here compression test a bat on the weekend. Our local league compressions test and has made a screen mandatory.
Don't take BP before the season starts then. Can you protest a players bat and have it tested mid season? Make sure you have a backup.

Country469

Be really easy.........

You get 2 bat challenges per game.

$20 cash on check. If it fails, $20 back to you. If not director keeps it to cover cost of tester.