Search results

1. R

ASA Foot Out of the Batter's Box making Contact with Ball

The correct call is if the batters foot touches the plate in front of the plate across the other side of the plate, batter is out. IF batters foot touched said area prior to contact with the ball. If they make contact during swing and complete their swing then foot goes awry , no call to make
  2. R

ASA Foot Out of the Batter's Box making Contact with Ball

My thought leans towards use the rules. If you were so inclined to use selective.....against the rules conduct. Then your sympathy should have been feel sorry for the bad pitching. Call batters out per the rules then it levels playing field and get this.....it’s in the rules of softball. Do you...
  3. R

Other SPN rules. play at second

That is one of the fastest plays at just about any level of ball. Your wording clearly stated ....as he pulled ball from his glove. As a 30 plus year just in softball alone, when I come towards 2B, I personally try to trap the ball between my glove and throwing hand. My question is, if you and...
  4. R

Face masks

I am going to definitely give it a try. I guess it’s good I’m loud by nature
  5. R

Mat strike zone?

I personally like them for senior play in nationals. All the players completely know and understand if it hits the mat (contingent on height) it’s a strike. The only setback I dislike is veteran pitchers who can throw a slow pitch curve, can actually cross the plate with a perfect strike but...
  6. R

Any Pitch Height and Illegal

that’s for sure! No matter what. They will complain so just be consistent.
  7. R

Any interference

I like your comment. We live by the, in my judgement....and by the rules. Never assume an out. It’s like saying, I think I saw it...if you didn’t see it. It didn’t happen. It was not mentioned the runner was attempting to go back to first. Going by what I read. Interference by runner two. And...
  8. R

ASA scoring of runs

I think it was simply resolved with both rulings. Unless there is a local rules committee that pre sets league rules due to circumstances such as this. If it isn’t stated.....revert back to the rules.
  9. R

Blues with attitude

Just do our jobs. It’s a labor if love to me. Sure the money is a little something extra each month but I elect to do it for the love of the game. I played the game up until a couple years ago. One thing I learned from playing and umpiring. I have yet to ever swing a bat or make a throw, or...
  10. R

Any Pitch Height and Illegal

If you are a former player helps. We have an excellent UCI that brings measured sticks and such to show us the exact height. Then go do a few senior national tournaments and you have to mindset on the 12 foot pitch. Being a contractor for 40 years I feel I am fairly accurate with height...
  11. R

Positive experience

Actually no matter what the lighting having any effect on a close play. We use the mindset....if you “think” you saw it... It did not happen. Also, never guess an put. If you were not clear or sure, don’t guess the out. Now it’s fantastic to get that type of feedback. Where I call...
  12. R

Have you ever cursed at a player during a game?

You made several mistakes. First you don’t warn a player by saying ....”I’m going to throw you out”. If a situation is that bad you speak to the coach first not directly at the player. Take the path of least resistance. The F bomb. You should not be calling any F ing games if that’s your...
  13. R

ASA Illegal bat penalty

Do your umpires not do a bat check prior to all games before they start? It’s a blanket rule in our leagues as well as state and national tournaments.
  14. R

Score protest

I TOTALLY AGREE! This just gives players another thing to complain about. Especially in most rec leagues they use only one man system.
  15. R

Strike Zone Mat

In USA seniors it’s part of their game. It can good or bad. You may not realize certain things about the strike mat. My very time calling a game using a mat, a guy pitching obviously pitched his whole life threw a awesome breaking ball. It clearly went from one corner all thru the strike zone as...
  16. R

Foul or fair?

A fly ball in this situation is judged by the plate umpire. The 3rd and 1st base bags are a good line up point, if there happens to be a fair pole on the outfield fences this really aids in lining up. Now when the ball is caught and it appears really close, its my judgement to call it fair or...
  17. R

Pitched ball bounces, hit back into fair territory. Called dead and a strike ?

If anything the batter could possibly be called for unsportsmanlike conduct. Had the pitcher not been alert this could have resulted in an injury. USA/ASA dead ball if hits in front or on the plate. Even if seniors using the mat. After it hits the plate or mat dead ball. I see no other ruling...
  18. R

Infield Fly - "Unless it's foul"?????

Sorry, meant to say it became a foul ball
  19. R

Infield Fly - "Unless it's foul"?????

I totally agree with this. It was a fair ball. Umpire quoted out wrong, I prefer “if fair”. The ball ended up foul. Once umpire deemed it catchable with reasonable effort, his judgement has been made.
  20. R

Bases loaded ground ball to 3rd

THREE