28oz or 30oz

frugalman

The Rookie
I am looking at a new bat, wondering if i should go with 30oz or 28oz. (34 inch)

I am about 5'9, 170lbs.

Any suggestions about this? thanks

BIGPAPA33

ULTRA MEGA
I am about 5'9, 170lbs.

Not trying to be a ****, but what does your height and weight have to do with the weight of the bat you think you should swing? You should swing the weight that you are more comfy with...which has nothing to do with your body size.

Not trying to be a ****, but what does your height and weight have to do with the weight of the bat you think you should swing? You should swing the weight that you are more comfy with...which has nothing to do with your body size.

You make a good point but what I think most people are looking at is that if you have to even ask this question you are probably fairly new to the game and just judging off his size that is all anyone has to go on so the lighter weight makes more sense until he can develope good swing habbits. Having said that, in most any other case I would have to agree with you, body size wouldn't have much to do with it.

DB15

Starting Player
I agree its more of what you feel comfortable with. Im a rather large fella and I have swung many different weights but a 26 and 27 fit me rather well.

BIGPAPA33

ULTRA MEGA
You make a good point but what I think most people are looking at is that if you have to even ask this question you are probably fairly new to the game and just judging off his size that is all anyone has to go on so the lighter weight makes more sense until he can develope good swing habbits. Having said that, in most any other case I would have to agree with you, body size wouldn't have much to do with it.

Yep...I have seen little fellas swinging 30oz bats and big guys swinging 26ers. I'm not a big guy anymore( 6'0 193 )and swing both a 26 and 30oz bats and very comfy with both.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
I am looking at a new bat, wondering if i should go with 30oz or 28oz. (34 inch)
I am about 5'9, 170lbs.
Any suggestions about this? thanks

Welcome to SBF - You'll find you need to ignore about 80% of the posts you see and you'll have to sift through the advice from the other 20% for what fits your needs....

Every bat has it's own characteristics that make the question of weight variable.... the best thing you can do is ask everyone you know who has a bat you might be interested in whether you can take a few swings with their bat to see how it feels.... ONLY YOU can determine what bat weight is right for a particular bat you are interested in....

The balance point on each individual bat will make a difference in which weight feels right for you and your swing....

But as BIGPAPA33 said, your height and weight will not directly determine what weight bat you want to use....

%%%
ID

frugalman

The Rookie
lol.. thank you
yes i am new to softball, yes i am not a big guy. it's all true.

but thanks for the advice in here, i did learn something. -I.Danger
I was looking at online, and they have a chart for age,weight,height->bat specs... So I was wondering what everybody uses.

I will take the advice to go for a lighter bat.

HrBump13

Addicted to Softballfans
I am 6'1" & 215lbs. I swing a 27 oz endloaded bat & a 28 oz balanced. When I was younger I swung the crap out of the30 oz. So if the 28 & 30 are your only options, I would swing that 28 for bat speed.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Impossible to answer. Try out other peoples bats if you can to see if you like balanced or endload and what weights. Remember that if you dont like an endload or balanced at a certain weight that you might like it at a different weight, I like 30oz balanced bats and 28oz endloaded.

Then learn what are some of the better bats for your association and then learn what are good prices for those bats, and jump in and buy one at a good price and if you dont like you can turn around and sell here and keep trying till you find something decent, its better then crack and cheaper!

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
in 1989 everybody was swinging 30, 32, even 38 ounce bats. This nonsense with big guys swinging 26 oz is new school.i'm 5'9" 170 and i swing a 30oz with a 1 oz end load. I hit better with that than with a 27 balanced or 28 1/2 oz end load. take some cuts and you'll know what you like.

HAVOC34

NorCal COMbatant
Go with whichever bat you can be the most consistent with. That's why it's good to have more than one bat, for the different weights. About 90% of the time I'm swinging my 30ozers because they're more consistent with my timing.