Other A gift for you players

pob14

Addicted to Softballfans
Since you've all been good lately (only two questions about tag-ups being a force in the last week or so), here's a story all you players can enjoy:

Umpire Arrested for Assaulting Officer

And before Gulf Coast Blue or somebody asks, no, it wasn't me.

1. I haven't worked HS Baseball in several years.
2. Stark County is at least 90 miles from here.
3. I'm older and fatter than he is.
4. It would have only taken one Tase to bring me down.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Yikes... My first thought was that if he'd passed out due to low blood pressure, vertigo, etc., it's not uncommon for someone to wake up with a "fight or flight" response. Ask any nurse who's ever worked in a surgical recovery room.

But if the guy's been drinking, all bets are off. Throw the book at the ****er.

sjury

The Old Man
Aren't most drunks that can't play the game umpires, so they take out their frustration on others?

Just kidding, but the door was open....

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
Since you've all been good lately (only two questions about tag-ups being a force in the last week or so), here's a story all you players can enjoy:

Umpire Arrested for Assaulting Officer

And before Gulf Coast Blue or somebody asks, no, it wasn't me.

1. I haven't worked HS Baseball in several years.
2. Stark County is at least 90 miles from here.
3. I'm older and fatter than he is.
4. It would have only taken one Tase to bring me down.

Video would not load.....but like NC....I would like to see the followup on blood work....was he really drunk? I would never allow a partner on the field if I knew he was.....

I know you got more than one Tase in you......:D

Yikes... My first thought was that if he'd passed out due to low blood pressure, vertigo, etc., it's not uncommon for someone to wake up with a "fight or flight" response. Ask any nurse who's ever worked in a surgical recovery room.

But if the guy's been drinking, all bets are off. Throw the book at the ****er.

My first thoughts too......I heard stories of off field fights when I started umpiring back in the 70's (locally)........I really started getting serious about umpiring when I was in college in Austin....had some really good trainers to learn from then.

When I got back to the Gulf Coast in the early 80's, all of the older hot heads were gone and the new crowd was stressing rules and mechanics.....and even those clinics now seem like kindergarten compared to clinics I have been to since.

Started FP in the early 90's and have never looked back...(I did cross umpire for a few years....but quit doing baseball around 94-95).

I cannot imagine an umpire in a HS game going berzerk unless there was something seriously wrong.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Video would not load.....but like NC....I would like to see the followup on blood work....was he really drunk? I would never allow a partner on the field if I knew he was.....

I know you got more than one Tase in you......:D

My first thoughts too......I heard stories of off field fights when I started umpiring back in the 70's (locally)........I really started getting serious about umpiring when I was in college in Austin....had some really good trainers to learn from then.

When I got back to the Gulf Coast in the early 80's, all of the older hot heads were gone and the new crowd was stressing rules and mechanics.....and even those clinics now seem like kindergarten compared to clinics I have been to since.

Started FP in the early 90's and have never looked back...(I did cross umpire for a few years....but quit doing baseball around 94-95).

I cannot imagine an umpire in a HS game going berzerk unless there was something seriously wrong
It's not THAT far-fetched, is it? I mean, most umpires (and sports officials as a whole) are professionals, but just like in every walk of life, you have outliers who are in a position they shouldn't be.

My HS didn't have a baseball team, we had a modified softball team, and played against other private schools (primarily Jewish day schools). The umpires we had were usually pretty good, but there was one pairing who was atrocious (one actually smacked me in the back of the head when catching, for "calling for pitches too far inside"). I don't know if they were drunk when working our games, as I never actually saw them drinking at the fields, but for me to remember them vividly 16 years later says something about their lack of professionalism.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
It's not THAT far-fetched, is it? I mean, most umpires (and sports officials as a whole) are professionals, but just like in every walk of life, you have outliers who are in a position they shouldn't be.

My HS didn't have a baseball team, we had a modified softball team, and played against other private schools (primarily Jewish day schools). The umpires we had were usually pretty good, but there was one pairing who was atrocious (one actually smacked me in the back of the head when catching, for "calling for pitches too far inside"). I don't know if they were drunk when working our games, as I never actually saw them drinking at the fields, but for me to remember them vividly 16 years later says something about their lack of professionalism.

My case in point.....:D

Something was not right with that guy. ;)

Firefighters are professionals too......but in my 20+ years of municipal management experience....for the most part, they are the biggest whiney babies on the face of the planet.

FF's in Cities in the 50,000 range love to compare themselves to places like NYC, SF, LA, Houston, and Chicago.......face it, it's not the same. Granted, they step up in league when needed, but not everyday like the big dogs.

Same in softball......guys who are mediocre in SP softball compare themselves to the likes of Denny Crine, Ed Vega, and Jeremy Isenhower.

Just like the umpires who want to be Angel Martinez....Doug Harvey....Bruce Froemming, etc........

JMHO........

Joel

pob14

Addicted to Softballfans
From the latest reports:

[Stark County State's Attorney James] Owens said Jacobson’s record included drug charges from the early 1980s, but no further information about that could immediately be obtained.

I find it interesting that the EMTs apparently reported "an indication that alcohol might be involved," but the police do not seem to have noted the odor of an alcoholic beverage, or at least the reporters haven't said that they testified to that.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
From the latest reports:

I find it interesting that the EMTs apparently reported "an indication that alcohol might be involved," but the police do not seem to have noted the odor of an alcoholic beverage, or at least the reporters haven't said that they testified to that.

There also appears to be a significant time gap between the time when he was revived to the time when the officers showed up. Doesn't sound like a "fight-or-flight" response, it sounds like he just got pissed off after probably being asked (or accused) about drinking.

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
There are some seizures that can create this effect too .... hard to say what happened until all the results are in. Hopefully there is a good explanation. It might come to a good ending but doesn't seem like it.