A grown man did this

hlsiii

Addicted to Softballfans
That is a crazy situation.

Our league (ASA) in Clearwater has implemented a rule if the ball is hit back at or close enough to the pitcher you are out.

Chrisklol

301' Bombs
I was pitching on my company rec leagues team. I always wear my mask and the other team was losing by a little bit and were made I kept throwing knuckle balls all day. So i hear one of them from the dug out yell, hit him in the mask.
As soon as he says that, I pitch the ball and the guy sends a missile right by ear I didn't even have time to get my glove up till it was past my head..

Bush league man, that pisses me off. Aim at me cause I'm protecting myself is dumb.

Chimpy

Star Player
I know, cool story brah.

League night, second game of a dbl header. I couldn't believe what I saw. The middle had been blown up several times and the next time it happened the pitcher took off his glove and threw it at the batter running to first. I was like, Dafuq?

F-bombs were dropped on both sides but there were no fights. No one was ejected and play resumed, but I couldn't believe it. A grown ass man losing his cool and throwing his glove at an opposing player? Seriously?

I asked the player after the game why he did it and he told me to shut up. I asked again and he said because he was angry.

Really? Is that what other angry players do? Does being angry justify that type of response? I understand it's league play but that doesn't mean the middle has to be avoided. It's part of the field. If you don't like to have balls hit at you, catch or something, but don't complain when the other team puts the ball in play between the lines and take it so personal that you attack another player. Ridiculous. This kind of bull**** redneck behavior is making me lose interest in the game.

WTF? What did the ump do? I know in my main league, the ump would have tossed that guy pronto.

I was pitching last night and took a hard shot off the arm and the batter didn't say anything, so my guys hit up the middle the rest of the night on that dude (it was their pitcher who hit me) and they didn't like it but I think kidn of understood their guy was a douche.

g8orguy

Addicted to Softballfans
I forgot to mention that batter who hit middle to provoke the response was our smallest dude who probably weight 150 wet and the pitcher was a big dude.

Because little guys can't hit homers or anything? Or a broken face doesn't feel as bad when a the batter only weighs 150? (for reference I'm 6'0 180 so I consider myself fairly average)

Which one is more dangerous: throwing a leather glove at say 30mph or shooting middle at ~80mph (just guessing based on ASA bats)?

I'm not saying I'd ever throw my glove at someone but laugh it off as someone being an idiot... don't make a sbf thread about it...

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
I pitch and I hit middle and I've lost my cool during some games when balls are hit back up the middle. It happens to the best of us during any competition and when you have hard projectiles being hit at you that could put you in the hospital you are generally more sensitive to the situation.

It's always guys who don't pitch that complain about pitchers getting pissed and say **** like "if you can't field your position then move". Even the best pitchers in the Majors have been blown up and have lost their cool.

I say pitch for one season or at least one game against some decent hitters who blast middle and then get back at me on your thoughts.

PS

I would have laughed myself if I saw a pitcher throw a glove at a runner

SacRoadKing

GoinDownTheRoadFeelin'Bad
So he threw his glove, whats the big deal?

I had a similar situation where the team we were playing was blowing up right field. Everyone was hitting to right field, the lefties and the righties going opposite field. These guys knew I couldnt catch a fly ball, yet proceeded to hit there every time. Finally my team moved me to left field and suddenly every ball was going to left field. What kind of douchbaggery is this?

After the game when I was walking to my car I saw the other team drinking beer and laughing it up at my expense. I pulled out my .45 cal 1911 and executed every one of those mother f****s. So you see, throwing your glove really isnt that bad.

cyoung187

Coach
Hundreds of people are killed by flying gloves every year. This is a serious problem.

OP is more of a douche for confronting an already pissed off pitcher. Poke the guy who is already pissed off, you're cool... something my ex-gf would have done.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I was pitching on my company rec leagues team. I always wear my mask and the other team was losing by a little bit and were made I kept throwing knuckle balls all day. So i hear one of them from the dug out yell, hit him in the mask.
As soon as he says that, I pitch the ball and the guy sends a missile right by ear I didn't even have time to get my glove up till it was past my head..

Bush league man, that pisses me off. Aim at me cause I'm protecting myself is dumb.

If you were protecting yourself properly you wouldn't be mad at that.

The "halo" rule is dumb and someone is going to get hit due to not being 100% ready due to thinking the imaginary "halo" protects them somehow.

Not all leagues are dumb, drunk BS.....some have pretty nice cash prizes. If there isn't a screen there to stand behind, be prepared to catch or dodge every pitch......otherwise don't pitch.

UMPIRE is to blame here for not tossing the pitcher
Pitcher is to be laughed at.....probably even better over a beer
OP should try soccer perhaps

shifletd

Addicted to Softballfans
Hundreds of people are killed by flying gloves every year. This is a serious problem.

OP is more of a douche for confronting an already pissed off pitcher. Poke the guy who is already pissed off, you're cool... something my ex-gf would have done.

I LOL'ed at my desk on that first line. Congrats bro :p

doubles

Addicted to Softballfans
So he threw his glove, whats the big deal?

I had a similar situation where the team we were playing was blowing up right field. Everyone was hitting to right field, the lefties and the righties going opposite field. These guys knew I couldnt catch a fly ball, yet proceeded to hit there every time. Finally my team moved me to left field and suddenly every ball was going to left field. What kind of douchbaggery is this?

After the game when I was walking to my car I saw the other team drinking beer and laughing it up at my expense. I pulled out my .45 cal 1911 and executed every one of those mother f****s. So you see, throwing your glove really isnt that bad.

cool story bro

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
I know, cool story brah.

League night, second game of a dbl header. I couldn't believe what I saw. The middle had been blown up several times and the next time it happened the pitcher took off his glove and threw it at the batter running to first. I was like, Dafuq?

F-bombs were dropped on both sides but there were no fights. No one was ejected and play resumed, but I couldn't believe it. A grown ass man losing his cool and throwing his glove at an opposing player? Seriously?

I asked the player after the game why he did it and he told me to shut up. I asked again and he said because he was angry.

Really? Is that what other angry players do? Does being angry justify that type of response? I understand it's league play but that doesn't mean the middle has to be avoided. It's part of the field. If you don't like to have balls hit at you, catch or something, but don't complain when the other team puts the ball in play between the lines and take it so personal that you attack another player. Ridiculous. This kind of bull**** redneck behavior is making me lose interest in the game.

Didn't the batter attack the pitcher with the ball? Which is more dangerous and senseless.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Didn't the batter attack the pitcher with the ball? Which is more dangerous and senseless.

I know what you're trying to say.....but you det a 'D' on execution!

A batted ball in fair territory is PART OF THE GAME.
Throwing a glove (or anything) at a player in anger is not.

See the difference?

blakcherry329

I pitch and I hit middle and I've lost my cool during some games when balls are hit back up the middle. It happens to the best of us during any competition and when you have hard projectiles being hit at you that could put you in the hospital you are generally more sensitive to the situation.

It's always guys who don't pitch that complain about pitchers getting pissed and say **** like "if you can't field your position then move". Even the best pitchers in the Majors have been blown up and have lost their cool.

I say pitch for one season or at least one game against some decent hitters who blast middle and then get back at me on your thoughts.

PS

I would have laughed myself if I saw a pitcher throw a glove at a runner

I've never gotten angry over middle shots, ever. It's part of the field. I have to field my position.
In fact, I usually tell my team not to start a "middle war". I tell them to play their game. If they hit middle/oppo, then keep doing what you do. If you don't, then don't.

Hitting middle does not protect your pitcher, contrary to popular belief. It just perpetuates what has already happened.

RLH4L

Extra Hitter
blowing up middle on purpose in league is pretty stupid. i bet your team would feel real cool if one of the pitchers got hurt. win at all costs bros

Exactly. If going middle is the only way you can get a base hit, then it's time for some BP, especially in league play.

deKilla

Coach
i remember watching a game and middle got blown up, pitcher rips his shirt off and tells other team to hit him, they did and hit him in the gut lol. I will actually see they guy at tonights game too lol :D player umped league :D

LetTheBigDogEat

The Veteran
team opened up middle on me a few years ago. guy on my team hits middle away most of the time anyways, had been around the pitcher 3 times that night but nothing he could even touch. he led off the next inning after they opened it up, right past the pitchers knee... halfway to first, glove goes flying past our guy's head. runner turns and tells him it's for catching not throwing

Jimmy34

Board Prick
I've never gotten angry over middle shots, ever. It's part of the field. I have to field my position.
In fact, I usually tell my team not to start a "middle war". I tell them to play their game. If they hit middle/oppo, then keep doing what you do. If you don't, then don't.

Hitting middle does not protect your pitcher, contrary to popular belief. It just perpetuates what has already happened.

Well said and very true...I don't say anything, I just catch it or get the ef out of the way, I don't wanna eat soft food thru a straw...

Exactly. If going middle is the only way you can get a base hit, then it's time for some BP, especially in league play.

Exactly...

team opened up middle on me a few years ago. guy on my team hits middle away most of the time anyways, had been around the pitcher 3 times that night but nothing he could even touch. he led off the next inning after they opened it up, right past the pitchers knee... halfway to first, glove goes flying past our guy's head. runner turns and tells him it's for catching not throwing

Awesome...now that made this thread worth it...:D