Barrel Length Preference

Softball.com:

Jtater_1

So I know this is random but would like to start a discussion on peoples thoughts on barrel length. I know there’s different lengths however I see 13inch barrels to be common and some liking 12inch or the in between. Post your barrel length and explain why and or tooth reasoning on its choice. I look forward to the group discussion

tonys1

In general, things that come up the most often in barrel length discussions:

#1: it's a feel and preference thing
#2: short barrel bats' sweet spot tend to be smaller and closer to end cap, longer barrels' sweet spot closer to middle. If you can regularly find the sweet spot on a shorter barrel, it should hit further than a long barrel bat.
#3: short barrels will feel more endloaded
#4: with ASA 2013 bats, longer barrel might mean bigger surface for barrel to flex = more distance
#5: short barrels "swing better through the zone"

For me, it's not a factor at all when choosing a bat. I don't worry about how much distance I'm gaining or losing over 1" barrel length.

Joker

why'd you delete the other thread? you realize adults don't like being talked to like they're a toddler?

smart idea posting the whole discussion in the 2nd post, show's just how dumb of a topic it is and how pointless this thread is

Joker

let's just get to the point where you casually mention you played baseball professionally cause that's what this is all about

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
To answer the question, i prefer 10-12". I also think if these associations really want a safer game they'd limit the barrel length to 12" max.

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
more sweetspot = more lousy swings hitting the ball hard = more coed and rec church league pitchers getting drilled

increasing exit speeds at the lower levels is never a good thing

I've seen this a lot over the years in our intramural league on base. A lot of military unit level intramural teams are made up of 75% first timers, or just folks that are literally there for the fun and have no skills or competitive drive whatsoever.

A good example was my team this year. We had about 3-4 guys that have been playing ball for a while, and a bunch of young first timers. Some of those young kids are big and strong, and they hit the ball HARD with zero bat control. So... strong kid + swinging another guy's hot gamer bat + infield full of people that would barely make the cut on a downtown rec team = someone getting hurt.

blakcherry329

I've seen this a lot over the years in our intramural league on base. A lot of military unit level intramural teams are made up of 75% first timers, or just folks that are literally there for the fun and have no skills or competitive drive whatsoever.

A good example was my team this year. We had about 3-4 guys that have been playing ball for a while, and a bunch of young first timers. Some of those young kids are big and strong, and they hit the ball HARD with zero bat control. So... strong kid + swinging another guy's hot gamer bat + infield full of people that would barely make the cut on a downtown rec team = someone getting hurt.
A league like this should be using Clinchers. ;)

Mr. G

(213) L.A. Confidential

I could not agree more; another situation I used to see on base is guys (in physical training shoes, no less) running hard in straight lines base to base. Haha. Seen more turned ankles and collisions than anywhere else in my life.

-G

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
I could not agree more; another situation I used to see on base is guys (in physical training shoes, no less) running hard in straight lines base to base. Haha. Seen more turned ankles and collisions than anywhere else in my life.

-G

HAHA! Yeah every team has that one or 2 players still wearing their tan shirt from work too.

And you ain't lying about the base running. A couple years back they implemented a "commit line" and a "safe line" at home plate so you don't have to touch home when scoring. Just cross that line before the ball gets there...essentially making any possible play at home a force out (assuming you passed the commit line). They did this because...as you know the team's worst player is generally behind the plate, and they tend to just stand on top of the plate whenever there is any action going on resulting in a lot of collisions.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Raising the minimum bat compression number would go a long way toward preventing injuries, more so than making 12" the longest legal barrel length.

If the associations made 260 the minimum pass/fail number (rather than 220) you'd see a lot of these pretend hitters go back to being just that.... pretend hitters. No more 350' bombs hit with no batspeed or technique. No more pitchers getting blown up by goobers with hot bats and no bat control.

Also, I prefer 12" barrels. I want the endload, and I want the sweetspot more toward the end of the bat.

r8dr_rider

I’ve never felt barrel length has effected my swing, only load and weight. I have several bats that spec says 12in yet they are all different sizes.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
If the associations made 260 the minimum pass/fail number (rather than 220) you'd see a lot of these pretend hitters go back to being just that.... pretend hitters. No more 350' bombs hit with no batspeed or technique. No more pitchers getting blown up by goobers with hot bats and no bat control.

Utrip is going with 240 soon, they really care about player safety. :rolleyes:

Also, I prefer 12" barrels. I want the endload, and I want the sweetspot more toward the end of the bat.

I hit harder AND with way more consistency with a 12" barrel. Even though the sweetspot is theoretically bigger on a 14" barrel I have trouble finding it. I want it near the endcap too.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Utrip is going with 240 soon, they really care about player safety. :rolleyes:

I hit harder AND with way more consistency with a 12" barrel. Even though the sweetspot is theoretically bigger on a 14" barrel I have trouble finding it. I want it near the endcap too.

This may sound dumb, I feel like I swing lazy with 14" barrels. Stuff like the DC41. I know the sweetspot is huge, so I end up not making as much effort to find it. Thus, I end up mis hitting balls more often.

Swinging a 12" barrel I try harder and swing cleaner. Less mis hits.

Distance wise, I can swing anything. I won't say 12" barrel bats hit further than 14" barrel bats.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ahhhhh, ok. Makes sense.
It also creates a lot of hard hit balls that couldn't be hit with a smaller barrel. Inside pitches the opposite way, batter fooled and his timing is off, etc.

The main reason i would like to see it happen is because it doesn't stop you from hitting the ball hard, it just stops you from being out on your front foot, way behind, jammed, and still crushing it.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
This may sound dumb, I feel like I swing lazy with 14" barrels. Stuff like the DC41. I know the sweetspot is huge, so I end up not making as much effort to find it. Thus, I end up mis hitting balls more often.

Swinging a 12" barrel I try harder and swing cleaner. Less mis hits.

Distance wise, I can swing anything. I won't say 12" barrel bats hit further than 14" barrel bats.
This is exactly right, but i think you're overestimating the amount of skill your average player has. That's also why i like the rule theoretically, it doesn't restrict people with skill, only those without.

The main beef with these bats when they first came out was that they rewarded people with no skill. It wasn't as big a deal with the demarinis because other bats were hotter. You sacrificed some pop for a bigger sweetspot, but that's not the case anymore.

Jtater_1

All great answers and responses. I very much enjoy just hearing what others minds and thoughts are in correlation with different subjects..

Jtater_1

When I saw the post was deleted I thought another newbie succumbed to the trial by fire that is Joker.
No sir I simply deleted it and started another one after I ignored him to where I won’t hear from him. I don’t like ignorance and or hatred within anything in life as it’s not needed or impressive, therefore I started a fresh and new thread. Joker is a joker alright but I still wish the best in his adventures of trolling

Last edited: