Bat Control Competition - Advice...

SwinginDemon

Louisville Loyalist
Okay guys,

I hold a homerun derby every year as a team fundraiser and each year it grows a ton. Last year over 80 people hit in it and 65 of them did the "rebuy" for the losers bracket. There was also a TEAM HR derby at the event. 3 vs 3 swing until you make 3 outs head to head competition. 45 teams hit in that. In that competition I also use a "handicap" type system where each players tournament team TAG is valued and the team with the higher "TEAM" value spots the lower team HR's to equalize it. Seemed to work well. This year I am adding a wood bat homerun derby which should be easy to incorporate. What I need help on is this...

Bart Control/Base Hitting Competition. I want to throw this into the mix BUT I am not familiar with how I could do this. Place targets in the field? Barrels? Nets? Baskets? Assign each item a point value and they have to hit the item?

Have any of you competed in something like this before? I am open to all ideas and suggestions. Please help me here. Let me know your thoughts...

If you have some really good knowledge or ideas and it would be easier to call me to explain than post, feel free to drop me a line. 253-861-3763 I just want to learn from your guys experiences and put together another great competition to this event.

Thanks!

Playr4

Coach
I read the Combat camp in April put cones up in the infield and have the hitter hit between them. You also could have a base running event.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I think it was Softball Magazine that had contests where they had signs spread out in the outfield and you had so many swings to hit one of the signs to win a prize. Trash cans in the outfield. Hit it for a point maybe?

The signs they had were probably 3 feet wide. They were meant to be a little easier to hit.

danielmo

Manager
Metal trash cans would be cool cuz youd get a big TING! when you hit it. Maybe 5 points for hitting can 10 points for getting into can?

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
I have used the small blowup swimming pools in the outfield, works good and they can be found cheap.

Big D

In the Batter's Box
ED we have a base hitting competition during BP every now and then we put up cones for the 3-4 and 5-6 hole and up the middle. each batter gets 10 swings at each set of cones. we use a pitching screen and hitting the screen counts as a miss. Its a pretty simple set up. ties result in hit offs.

Wupang

530sports.net
we did 3 big rubber trash cans in the 4/5/6 hole, one in the 5 hole we gave hitter option what side of pitcher to put it on, then went to shallow outfield gaps and put 4 mini soccer goals...2 on lines and 2 in the gaps...then we used 3 big banners on the fence in left, center and right. infield was worth 5, gaps/line worth 10 and the banners were 20 points...we gave 10 swings and total it up, there you go..most of the supplies were donated or scrounged up, got 3 business the donate banners for free advertising...think they were 4x10 banners if i remember right, lmk if you have anymore questions, thanks and good luck

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
Just do a middle shoot contest. That's what we do, you have to use a small net though not something really big. Set it up right at the pitching rubber. We use the pitchsafe net which is like 6ft high and 3ft wide. Participants have to hit the net on the fly taking full swings, you can't bunt it or check swing it there. You'd be surprise how hard that is for most people.

Wupang

530sports.net
^^^ This is what we do every bp! lol Too easy!! When you pitch, better be able to blow middle on command!!

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
^^^ This is what we do every bp! lol Too easy!! When you pitch, better be able to blow middle on command!!

Everyone can do it in BP. We allow 3 pitches and you have to do it in front of 50-100 people. The funniest thing is how many guys try it then and wind up hitting a ball 300+ ft.

Wupang

530sports.net
I do that sometimes or a lollipop back to pitcher...LOL but more often then not....blow middle!

Wupang

530sports.net
I do that sometimes or a lollipop back to pitcher...LOL but more often then not....blow middle!