Batting averages

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
No they aren't. They cost you in the long run. The last solo HR our tourney team had cost us the game.

Stop being so butthurt cuz you can't hit for power by dredging up every exception to the rule that you can think of.

Bet you don't wear a seatbelt because of the miniscule percentage chance that you might get trapped in a lake or the gas tank might explode. :rolleyes:

I stopped myself from hitting a HR in my 1-up league cuz it would've given the other team 2 HRs in a semi-close game. I had already hit 2 HRs in that game. Does this qualify as "at will"? :rolleyes:

Nateorious

Addicted to Softballfans
On my team and most other teams I have seen the "singles" hitters are the fast guys that turn singles into doubles. And gap hits to triples.
Not many true singles only hitters in softball IMO. In tourney ball.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Stop being so butthurt cuz you can't hit for power by dredging up every exception to the rule that you can think of.

Bet you don't wear a seatbelt because of the miniscule percentage chance that you might get trapped in a lake or the gas tank might explode. :rolleyes:

I stopped myself from hitting a HR in my 1-up league cuz it would've given the other team 2 HRs in a semi-close game. I had already hit 2 HRs in that game. Does this qualify as "at will"? :rolleyes:

Not an exception. Nearly every solo HR I've seen hit cost us later in the game. The only time a solo HR is going to be guaranteed better than a single is bottom of final inning and a tie game. If solo HRs are always better than singles you should bat your HR hitter to lead off the game and let him hit one out.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Except the slap hitter only has 7 bases. you base it on 10 ab's , that means with every thing even, with two walks the slap hitter only has 8abs, a .700 avg is 5.6 hits. so either 7 or 8 bases by rounding up 5.6 to 6 hits

I already know W's don't count as ABs, I gave the guy 2 walks to illustrate the point that OBP is not a better measure than OPS.

Try to apply your reasoning to both sides of the equation, and you need to separate out ABs from plate appearances, cuz they are not the same thing.

In 12 ABs with no walks, my power hitter would have 7.2 hits or 14 bases, to the slap hitters' 9.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
I already know W's don't count as ABs, I gave the guy 2 walks to illustrate the point that OBP is not a better measure than OPS.

Try to apply your reasoning to both sides of the equation, and you need to separate out ABs from plate appearances, cuz they are not the same thing.

In 12 ABs with no walks, my power hitter would have 7.2 hits or 14 bases, to the slap hitters' 9.

...and two DBOs which prevented someone from scoring from third, or advancing from 1st to 2nd to get into scoring position.

I'll take 70ABs and 49 hits a game over 52 and 31.

SMAC

mmmmmm...beeeer
I can make up stats too. This year I'm 48 for 67, .716 batting average, 21 singles, 12 doubles, 3 triples, 12 HR's. 1.522 slug. But last I checked I was batting around .625. Thank god, I was perfect my last 4 games, 16 for 16 to push her up to a respectable average. Otherwise I probably would have jumped off a low bridge with a life vest. .625 is so mediocre. I might be off by one though. Not sure if it's 35 or 36, my addition skills aren't the best.

x25

Addicted to Softballfans
Here's the thing (and why you should use OBP instead of BA): The .600 hitter will make an out at least 10% more of the time than the .700 hitter (who apparently also has walks, so let's say .720 OBP).

More than a third of the time (counting DPs) that out will end the inning, preventing any further scoring. Every time, that out will prevent the guy behind him from driving him in. In the extreme, a team with a 1.000 collective OBP will never lose. A team with a .100 team OBP will probably never win, even if every hit homers - that's about three runs a game.

The most important skill in softball is not making an out - you need a mix of power in there, too, when you're playing at a high level, because you need to chain together big innings. But most of your arguments assume the rest of the team is bad - what if the rest of the team is good?

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
...and two DBOs which prevented someone from scoring from third, or advancing from 1st to 2nd to get into scoring position.

I'll take 70ABs and 49 hits a game over 52 and 31.

Who is this "someone" that you speak of? You are making an assumption of something that may or may not exist. Can't do that.

I'll take my two bags over your one any day cuz now I'm already in scoring position.

Also, someone has to make the outs, otherwise nobody would ever finish a game. I will take my deep sacrifice fly over your short fly or groundball from your slap hitter because it is a more productive out. In fact, that ground ball is likely to turn into a DP for your phantom runner ahead of you.

How many more times will a guy score from first cuz I hit a double instead of a crappy single?

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
I can make up stats too. This year I'm 48 for 67, .716 batting average, 21 singles, 12 doubles, 3 triples, 12 HR's. 1.522 slug. But last I checked I was batting around .625. Thank god, I was perfect my last 4 games, 16 for 16 to push her up to a respectable average. Otherwise I probably would have jumped off a low bridge with a life vest. .625 is so mediocre. I might be off by one though. Not sure if it's 35 or 36, my addition skills aren't the best.

I would jump off a bridge if I had 48 singles, which is the whole point of what I'm saying.

You're stats are similar to mine, your BA is only 50 points higher, which equates to ONE hit every 20 ABs.

You are soooooo much better than me. :rolleyes:

x25

Addicted to Softballfans
Situational hitting > .AVG

If you can't understand this, you shouldn't be playing the game.

Maybe.

Let's say a guy has a great AVG w/ runners on - why the **** isn't he hitting better with nobody on? Or if he's gotten a lot of "clutch" 2-out hits - what's special about that, that he isn't doing it in less important situations? Either he needs to dial it up other times, or it's just plain luck.

If you mean, though, the ability to adapt swing/intent to fit the situation - that is, hit a SAC down 1 in the bot7, or stay in the park with homers gone, or etc. - then I'll agree, but that should also go along with a higher AVG, since you're doing the "right" thing.

SMAC

mmmmmm...beeeer
I would jump off a bridge if I had 48 singles, which is the whole point of what I'm saying.

You're stats are similar to mine, your BA is only 50 points higher, which equates to ONE hit every 20 ABs.

You are soooooo much better than me. :rolleyes:

First of all. In 67 AB's the difference is 3.8 hits. 44.2 / 67 = .660. 2ndly. Both sets of stats are made up, so who cares. Newsflash, D rec league stats, nobody gives a ****. But I guarantee when you are hitting F7 cans of corn and solos they are thinking. What a selfish jackass. As you fake apologize (if at all) to your team while you sit there and grin like an idiot mentally masterbating about how great you are, all because you hit a solo HR with a COMPOSITE bat. Whoop-d-freakin-do.

Last edited:

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
First of all. In 67 AB's the difference is 3.8 hits. 44.2 / 67 = .660. 2ndly. Both sets of stats are made up, so who cares. Newsflash, D rec league stats, nobody gives a ****. But I guarantee when you are hitting F7 cans of corn and solos they are thinking. What a selfish jackass. As you fake apologize (if at all) to your team while you sit there and grin like an idiot mentally masterbating about how great you are, all because you hit a HR with a COMPOSITE bat. Whoop-d-freakin-do.

Well, no ****, sherlock, I can multiply, too. And my stats aren't made up, d-bag.

Post your real stats, then, you p***y. You're such a Hercules for hitting singles with your "purist" metal bat? Or maybe you are one of those superstar wood bat champions. I suppose you go out and chop down a tree to make your bat, mighty Casey. Probably why you're a singles hitter. WTF ever, loser.

I've hit a sufficient number of HRs with my metal bat as well when the weather is hot.

There is only one hitter on any of my three teams who could hit a HR as consistently, guess I'm a selfish guy for hitting them. Whatever, what can I say? I like being a big fish in a little pond. :p

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Who is this "someone" that you speak of? You are making an assumption of something that may or may not exist. Can't do that.

I'll take my two bags over your one any day cuz now I'm already in scoring position.

Also, someone has to make the outs, otherwise nobody would ever finish a game. I will take my deep sacrifice fly over your short fly or groundball from your slap hitter because it is a more productive out. In fact, that ground ball is likely to turn into a DP for your phantom runner ahead of you.

How many more times will a guy score from first cuz I hit a double instead of a crappy single?

What kind of ****ty team do you play on where no one is ever on base. Sure, If you play on some **** team where everyone else bats .000 then yeah, your solo HRs will be more productive.

No double plays in your fantasy world. If I can't sac someone from 3rd, then I also can't be put out on a DP.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
What kind of ****ty team do you play on where no one is ever on base. Sure, If you play on some **** team where everyone else bats .000 then yeah, your solo HRs will be more productive.

No double plays in your fantasy world. If I can't sac someone from 3rd, then I also can't be put out on a DP.

You're the one making up fantasies by trying to muddle the comparison of one to one. You keep adding factors that I consistently address and you can't hack it. You must be ADHD cuz you can't stay on subject

Guy on first? My double may score him, your single won't. Man on 3rd? My so-called can of corn to deep LF scores him, your shallow fly ball cuz ur a wuss singles hitter likely will not.

Try to keep it to apples to apples, and you might see the light of day.

I'll say it again slowly for you. OBP (BA and W) and slugging percentage both have their part, but slugging percentage will still matter more unless your BA is like 200 points less, and even that will depend on how much higher my slugging percentage is, and what kind of extra outs I am producing.

Based on his stats from earlier, he has between 4-5 AB's per game (12 games, I think it was 53 AB's), So the rest of the team can get on base, but doesn't hit any homeruns according to him? I find these stats very hard to believe, but it sounds like league, in which case, who cares.....

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Based on his stats from earlier, he has between 4-5 AB's per game (12 games, I think it was 53 AB's), So the rest of the team can get on base, but doesn't hit any homeruns according to him? I find these stats very hard to believe, but it sounds like league, in which case, who cares.....

Of course it's league, whether it's league or tourney doesn't matter.

If you're loading up multiple HR hitters in a D league 1 HR tourney, then you're overcompensating for something, that's for sure.

Consider a tourney where you might play 10 games total. Give the batter 5 ABs per game. That's only 50 ABs (excluding Ws, we're assuming the pitcher is same for both hitters hitting only strikes, same opportunity to walk).

.700 singles hitter will have 35 hits, getting into scoring position exactly ZERO times for himself, only guaranteed to score someone from third base.

.600 doubles hitter will have 30 hits, getting into scoring position EVERY time, and scores anyone on second and third base EVERY time.

Sure, the singles hitter gets 5 more hits....OVER 10 GAMES. So he's only getting an extra hit...in every other game. "Whoop -di - do" to quote an ignorant d-bag on this thread.

Last edited:

twinsdad23

Addicted to Softballfans
??

Well, no ****, sherlock, I can multiply, too. And my stats aren't made up, d-bag.

Post your real stats, then, you p***y. You're such a Hercules for hitting singles with your "purist" metal bat? Or maybe you are one of those superstar wood bat champions. I suppose you go out and chop down a tree to make your bat, mighty Casey. Probably why you're a singles hitter. WTF ever, loser.

I've hit a sufficient number of HRs with my metal bat as well when the weather is hot.

There is only one hitter on any of my three teams who could hit a HR as consistently, guess I'm a selfish guy for hitting them. Whatever, what can I say? I like being a big fish in a little pond. :p

What team(s) do you play for and where(fields and area) do you play?

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
What team(s) do you play for and where(fields and area) do you play?

I'm in central IL, play on Champion Fields. Very nice fields. What about u?

They call our leagues rec and competitive, 2 and 4 HR limit equates to B and C, I guess. I'm in the C league, play for team sponsored by Cheeks.

I just like the guys I play with. Would see about moving up or playing tourneys, but I work too much, and there's the wife and baby, too.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'

If you're loading up multiple HR hitters in a D league 1 HR tourney, then you're overcompensating for something, that's for sure.

This shows how cluless you are, and with this in evidence its obvious you have no idea what you are talking about.

SMAC

mmmmmm...beeeer
Sure, the singles hitter gets 5 more hits....OVER 10 GAMES. So he's only getting an extra hit...in every other game. "Whoop -di - do" to quote an ignorant d-bag on this thread.

Nah, the only d-bag is you. Hidden brag about your rec league HR rate of less than 1 in 4 AB /w your hot flex and post self inflated stats. Then you throw your teammates under the bus on this public message board saying they suck.

Last edited:

71bama17

Addicted to Softballfans

Consider a tourney where you might play 10 games total. Give the batter 5 ABs per game. That's only 50 ABs (excluding Ws, we're assuming the pitcher is same for both hitters hitting only strikes, same opportunity to walk).

.700 singles hitter will have 35 hits, getting into scoring position exactly ZERO times for himself, only guaranteed to score someone from third base.

.600 doubles hitter will have 30 hits, getting into scoring position EVERY time, and scores anyone on second and third base EVERY time.

Forget about .AVG and extra base hits, Sounds like your team needs to work on it's base running skills,

CPhoenixM

Extra Hitter
I'm pretty partial to doubles, but singles are very important too. Singles might be more important than HRs in softball simply because it's so easy to come against teams that can mash and with HR limits if you can control your bat small-ball will win you the game most of the time.

So yeah I don't really get the irrational hate against singles or 'slap-hitters' when at a competitive level of softball they are going to be more important than big bad HR hitters. Especially when you consider that with composite bats almost anyone can hit an HR.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Nah, the only d-bag is you. Hidden brag about your rec league HR rate of less than 1 in 4 AB /w your hot flex and post self inflated stats. Then you throw your teammates under the bus on this public message board saying they suck.

Spoken like a true SBF d-bag. Thanks for upholding the fine SBF tradition of spewing insults instead of providing hard facts and reasonable logic.

You are a credit to the site. :rolleyes:

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm pretty partial to doubles, but singles are very important too. Singles might be more important than HRs in softball simply because it's so easy to come against teams that can mash and with HR limits if you can control your bat small-ball will win you the game most of the time.

So yeah I don't really get the irrational hate against singles or 'slap-hitters' when at a competitive level of softball they are going to be more important than big bad HR hitters. Especially when you consider that with composite bats almost anyone can hit an HR.

Like I said before, the whole point of my comparison was and is that slugging percentage needs to be considered as well, BA is not a very complete indicator of a players' worth to a team.

Not saying singles are worthless; however, if I had to choose a singles hitter with a .700 BA that only averaged 1 base per AB versus a .600 power hitter who consistently hits for extra bases (including HRs), it's no contest.

The power hitter wins every time because they consistently put themselves in scoring position without having to be advanced, and they advance any potential runners further with their extra-base hits than does the singles hitter. Also, the .700 hitter only provides one extra base for every 10 ABs, which is every other game at 5 ABs per game. Hardly a significant impact on the game.

Not going to compare W's and outs or game situations because they are subjective for a variety of reasons.

And if 'everyone' could hit a HR, composite or not, they would, and all the leagues would be unlimited HR cuz no one would want to play if they couldn't get a chance to hit a HR every time they are up. Those players that say they never want to hit a HR and would rather hit singles are lying to themselves on a very deep level. The only reason to accept being a singles hitter is a HR limit. Unlimited HR league? Everyone will be trying to hit one, but only the ones who know how to hit for power will be successful.

By and large, people don't go nuts over a single nearly as much as a HR

71bama17

Addicted to Softballfans

I totally agree with you, A major flaw of this thread is applying baseball ideas to slo-pitch, it's the same but different,

Cubslover

Certified Mother****er
Around here most anyone can hit a ball out, it's consistently hitting lasers and going backside that is impressive.

CPhoenixM

Extra Hitter
Like I said before, the whole point of my comparison was and is that slugging percentage needs to be considered as well, BA is not a very complete indicator of a players' worth to a team.

Not saying singles are worthless; however, if I had to choose a singles hitter with a .700 BA that only averaged 1 base per AB versus a .600 power hitter who consistently hits for extra bases (including HRs), it's no contest.

I know we're speaking of hypotheticals, but I don't think that anyone is saying that slugging isn't important. Also it's not very likely that you're going to have the situation that you have laid out -- and even if you do both players are valuable for different reasons.

And if 'everyone' could hit a HR, composite or not, they would, and all the leagues would be unlimited HR cuz no one would want to play if they couldn't get a chance to hit a HR every time they are up. Those players that say they never want to hit a HR and would rather hit singles are lying to themselves on a very deep level. The only reason to accept being a singles hitter is a HR limit. Unlimited HR league? Everyone will be trying to hit one, but only the ones who know how to hit for power will be successful.

By and large, people don't go nuts over a single nearly as much as a HR

I'm a bit confused by this paragraph. Even the best players can't hit it out every single time. Mostly everyone can hit (read: is capable of hitting) a homerun -- technology has advanced to the point where the bat does most of the work if you can put a good swing in with decent technique.

As far as saying they'd rather hit a single probably applies to the situation. Almost every league has an HR limit. Softball without an HR limit is pretty stupid given that, for the most part, you could just fill your line-up with heavy hitters and hit HR after HR.

Yes, people enjoy the HR, but if you're trying to win it's not necessarily about what the 3 people watching your game think looks good -- it's about what benefits the team, and in slow-pitch more often than not a single will be the better option.