Bush League

Kenny Powers

Addicted to Softballfans
...air-swinging at what would be the 4th straight ball for a walk, just so you get another chance at swinging.

Last time this happend while I was pitching, I rolled the next pitch in from the mound. He swung another courtesy swing, but apparently as soon as it touches the ground it's a ball. Maybe my move was bush...but less so than the "I'm doing you a favor" swing. Just take your base, I know I suck.

Air swinging is not bush league unless you are up by a bunch.

gone deep

Manager
the blue would have to call it while it is still on it's way up. if the blue doesn't call it then it isn't

Blue is supposed to call IFF at the ball's apex. If he doesn't, it does not negate the IFF. Batter is still out.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't understand why this is so hard to remember. Fly ball hit where an infielder can make the catch with reasonable effort, with runners on 1 and 2 or 1, 2, and 3 with less than two outs. It's not brain surgery. :D
It's really easy if you remember the intent - to keep the defense from turning a double play on an intentionally dropped fly ball. It can only happen when there are less than 2 outs, and it should only happen when there are runners on first and second (the batter should be at or near first base when the ball is caught).

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
bush = something thats frowned upon. its not illegal, just dirty and unsportsmanlike. yo mommas bush league.

MichelleG

Addicted to Softballfans
It's really easy if you remember the intent - to keep the defense from turning a double play on an intentionally dropped fly ball. It can only happen when there are less than 2 outs, and it should only happen when there are runners on first and second (the batter should be at or near first base when the ball is caught).

You're partially correct. Runners at 1st and 2nd OR 1st, 2nd and 3rd with less than two outs. It doesn't matter where the batter/runner is when the ball is caught.... when the infield fly is called, the fielder is not required to catch the ball. Batter/runner is out on the call, runners on bases may advance at their own risk whether the ball is caught or not. (on first touch)

HAVOC34

NorCal COMbatant
I see "Bush league" as something a player does that shows disrespect and immaturity to another player or team. It refers to the minor leagues before they grow up and get to the majors and learn respect for the game and the players. All the stupid, ignorant or dirty plays mentioned earlier are done by "bush league" who don't respect the game.

osufan2k

Addicted to Softballfans
Bush League happened last week to my team.

We had runners on 1st and 2nd with zero outs. Next guy up hits a line drive hit to the short stop. The short stop puts his glove out to catch the ball but doesn't close it to hold the ball. He purposely drops the ball forcing the runners to advance to the next base. He tags the runner going to 3rd, steps on 2nd base, and throws to 1st base for the triple play. It wasn't a pop up so no infield fly was called. It was a line drive and very obvious what the guy was doing but there was nothing we could do about it. Next inning we heard people in the dugout joking about how that wasn't the first time he'd done the same thing this season.

Kurs76

Livin' the Dream
So the umpires didn't care in your league at all? The umpire's in are league would not allow it. They would warn the fielder and if he intentionally dropped a ball again he would be kicked out of the game. The umpires get really mad really quick when people try to pull that.

Cubsuns

Addicted to Softballfans
So the umpires didn't care in your league at all? The umpire's in our league would not allow it. They would warn the fielder and if he intentionally dropped a ball again he would be kicked out of the game. The umpires get really mad really quick when people try to pull that.

Fixed it for you.

^^This^^. Your umpires must be garbage.

osufan2k

Addicted to Softballfans
So the umpires didn't care in your league at all? The umpire's in are league would not allow it. They would warn the fielder and if he intentionally dropped a ball again he would be kicked out of the game. The umpires get really mad really quick when people try to pull that.

We have some clueless umpires in our league so it wasn't surprising at all to see them not care. It was pretty obvious what the guy did and the joking in the dugout after the inning proved he did it on purpose.

Fixed it for you.

^^This^^. Your umpires must be garbage.

Lol, yes, most of them are. We have some good ones but on this night, we had the worst one in the league behind the plate.

The same dumbass ump also allowed the team to use a Demarini Stadium the ENTIRE game after I called it out twice. He was friends with some guys on the other team so what does that tell you....

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
You're partially correct. Runners at 1st and 2nd OR 1st, 2nd and 3rd with less than two outs. It doesn't matter where the batter/runner is when the ball is caught.... when the infield fly is called, the fielder is not required to catch the ball. Batter/runner is out on the call, runners on bases may advance at their own risk whether the ball is caught or not. (on first touch)
If the bases are loaded, aren't there runners on first and second? ;)

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
70's coed = bush league.

Bush league is a slang term used to describe play that is of minor league or unprofessional quality. The "bushes" or the "sticks" are small towns where minor league teams may operate.

Almost all SP softball is bush league so anything is GTG. Tell them to run faster.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes ya nitpicker, but in your original post, you didn't mention bases loaded, you only mentioned runners on 1st and 2nd. Kids these days! :rolleyes::p:D
You're the nitpicker! My "rule" is simple and doesn't overwhelm anybody with information they don't need. :D

wackjob

Addicted to Softballfans
the girl was running, and by all means is not slow. this guy was just trying to show off his cannon. but his targeting system was broke, he could not hit his target at all... almost took out two of his own players and one of ours at second after the runner was standing on the base, and his short and second were relaxed waiting for him to just get the ball in for the next play.

i always tell me players to hit your cut in coed, for me it's about quality time with the wife and having fun, if i want the competitiveness where winning only matters then i'll play upper mens. but when these people think their all that, and they are new to our fields, we can unload our cannons, but our targeting systems work. main concern is safety first, fun second winning third in rec ball coed.

let me know if im wrong here

twinsdad23

Addicted to Softballfans
wouldn't that be ruled an infield fly (depending on the situation).

This might of already been answered but NO. Infield fly rule it to protect the runners and is only in effect with runners on first and second or bases loaded with less than 2 outs. No rule to proctect prima donna batters.

I see that this has been covered already and "nitpicked" as well.

My answer to this situation since I brought it up: The object on defense is to get outs and if the offense is going to help you get 2 a little easier then I say "thank you".

Last edited:

twinsdad23

Addicted to Softballfans
Bush League happened last week to my team.

We had runners on 1st and 2nd with zero outs. Next guy up hits a line drive hit to the short stop. The short stop puts his glove out to catch the ball but doesn't close it to hold the ball. He purposely drops the ball forcing the runners to advance to the next base. He tags the runner going to 3rd, steps on 2nd base, and throws to 1st base for the triple play. It wasn't a pop up so no infield fly was called. It was a line drive and very obvious what the guy was doing but there was nothing we could do about it. Next inning we heard people in the dugout joking about how that wasn't the first time he'd done the same thing this season.

The umpire can make a judgement call on whether he thinks it was intentionally dropped. If he feels it was then he would call the batter out.

CAJones17

Addicted to Softballfans
the girl was running, and by all means is not slow. this guy was just trying to show off his cannon. but his targeting system was broke, he could not hit his target at all... almost took out two of his own players and one of ours at second after the runner was standing on the base, and his short and second were relaxed waiting for him to just get the ball in for the next play.

i always tell me players to hit your cut in coed, for me it's about quality time with the wife and having fun, if i want the competitiveness where winning only matters then i'll play upper mens. but when these people think their all that, and they are new to our fields, we can unload our cannons, but our targeting systems work. main concern is safety first, fun second winning third in rec ball coed.

let me know if im wrong here

Not wrong at all, played against a team last sunday and their lf was winging it all over the place, it was nutz and he saw no problem with it

boomboom32

Catch the ****ing ball!!!
how about this for bush league.... we played this team tonight that accused us of swinging shaved sticks. Then half of the team walks up to the plate with an ultra 2. bush league?

Last edited:

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Bush is when two defensive players, say SS and LC are running for a bloop fly ball and the third base coach yells " watch out" when the two are about to make a play on the ball causing them both to pull up am let the ball drop

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Bush is when two defensive players, say SS and LC are running for a bloop fly ball and the third base coach yells " watch out" when the two are about to make a play on the ball causing them both to pull up am let the ball drop
Yeah. Or "ball!" or "got it!" or "fence!"