Bush League

wackjob

Addicted to Softballfans
So we played a tourney, co-ed and left center keeps trying to throw out the girls at first, he has a good arm, but uncontrollable and wild. i call it bush league and the girl friend says what does bush league mean? i didn't know how to explain it in words. When i talked to the coach of the other team trying to explain that someone is going to get hurt with his wild throws at the girls and i am concerned. the coach says its part of the game..... granted rec ball and coed...

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
So we played a tourney, co-ed and left center keeps trying to throw out the girls at first, he has a good arm, but uncontrollable and wild. i call it bush league and the girl friend says what does bush league mean? i didn't know how to explain it in words. When i talked to the coach of the other team trying to explain that someone is going to get hurt with his wild throws at the girls and i am concerned. the coach says its part of the game..... granted rec ball and coed...

"bush league" means you're not behaving professionally..............I say if you women can't run...They get thrown out.

wackjob

Addicted to Softballfans
So what she (and i) are wondering what all is considered bush... when the other team has no down with runners on first and second, and no base coaches and its my turn to sit and one of the runners says how many down? my reply was two down crack of the bat, being the smart ass i am joking around. the batter hit a line drive to third and the runners stop and we made the slowest triple play in history... is that bush cuz its not my fault the team wasn't paying attention and everyone knows that i'm always loud and full of ****.

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
Bush league...swing pretty much nailed it. Going into a bag cleats up is dirty and bush. Trying to bump the 1B when you're running to first is bush league. Throwing your hands up to try to distract a throwing fielder is bush.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
So what she (and i) are wondering what all is considered bush... when the other team has no down with runners on first and second, and no base coaches and its my turn to sit and one of the runners says how many down? my reply was two down crack of the bat, being the smart ass i am joking around. the batter hit a line drive to third and the runners stop and we made the slowest triple play in history... is that bush cuz its not my fault the team wasn't paying attention and everyone knows that i'm always loud and full of ****.

Bush is taking extra bases when you're up by 20......Bush is yelling " I got it!!!" at the opposing players who is catching....Bush is that kind of stuff......Joking with the other team that is too stupid to know how many outs there are, is not bush....It's them being stupid.

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
Bush is taking extra bases when you're up by 20......Bush is yelling " I got it!!!" at the opposing players who is catching....Bush is that kind of stuff......Joking with the other team that is too stupid to know how many outs there are, is not bush....It's them being stupid.
Bush is holding onto a routine out on defense because "my team needs to work on double plays". I've never seen this, but I swear someone on SBF posted this before.

hunter121

Part Time Player
Trying to bump the 1B when you're running to first is bush league.
10.jpg

twinsdad23

Addicted to Softballfans
?

Situation: Runner on first and batter pops the ball up in the infield...batter doesnt run to first...fielder lets the ball hit the ground in an attempt to turn a double play. Do you consider this bush league or a heady play?

Edmonton_fan

Addicted to Softballfans
Bush League is two players I kicked off my team a few years ago - whose team lost in the playoffs last Wednesday.

These two players showing up last night and loudly cheering for our opponents...

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
i think this has been discussed before. my take is that if he can throw them out, they deserve to be thrown out. if he's 'trying' to throw them out, but isn't in time or can't hit first base, then i'd probably make fun of him too.

there's two types of ppl that play rec. players that play competitive ball and play rec for a good time, possibly to play with their girl, and ppl who haven't played competitive ball and think winning, even in rec, is all that matters.

there's only so much you can do about ignorance

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
...air-swinging at what would be the 4th straight ball for a walk, just so you get another chance at swinging.

Last time this happend while I was pitching, I rolled the next pitch in from the mound. He swung another courtesy swing, but apparently as soon as it touches the ground it's a ball. Maybe my move was bush...but less so than the "I'm doing you a favor" swing. Just take your base, I know I suck.

your move was 100% bush. if you wanted to prove a point you should have thrown a strike instead of ball 4.

two situations:

you are playing competitive, he should have taken a walk anyway, you just did his team a favour.

you are playing rec, and it's BORING as hell to walk. we pay money to play the game, not to walk around the bases. when i'm playing coed rec(and competitive mens, but don't tell my team, shh) i'd much rather lose, badly, then take walks. i'd rather the opposing team hit doubles, triples, and HR's than take walks too.

the batter was not 'doing you a favour'. he was asking you to throw something he can hit so he can at least enjoy his at bat.

Audissey

Addicted to Softballfans
Situation: Runner on first and batter pops the ball up in the infield...batter doesnt run to first...fielder lets the ball hit the ground in an attempt to turn a double play. Do you consider this bush league or a heady play?

wouldn't that be ruled an infield fly (depending on the situation).

Audissey

Addicted to Softballfans
according to posters statement, there doesn't seem to be a guy on 2nd, which is needed for the infield fly.

my mistake. i've never fully understood the infield fly thing. i've seen umps mess it up too many times to know what is right.

AJ22

Super Moderator

This is not Bush League ... its not the defenses problem if a batter doesn't run ..

ns09

Addicted to Softballfans
WTF is up with all these guys who have been here for 5+ years being god damn nublets.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
In playoffs for one of my leagues we were playing the 1 seed that's full of young guys (college age) and they have 1 old dude (probably early 50s). we were the 8 seed and we have 6 guys over 45. Normally I don't try to throw out the old guys because they're running as fast as they can, even though it's walking speed, i don't want to ruin their fun, they're hustling at 55 years old and i respect that. Their RF tried to throw out one of our guys at first. This kid ruined their old guys day. Every time their guy came up, and hit it to me, i tried to throw him out at first from LC. That guy got 3 hits robbed because his boy had to open the flood gates and allow me to shoot 1 on the old timer. We won by the way. They can take their ultra 2 sleeved fx 700 someplace else until they learn how to play the game.

rkdgator

Addicted to Softballfans

We have one of these every other week and despite some people whining about it if the hitter does not run to first I think they deserve what they get. Not bush

However I can't stand the fake 3rd out trick. Runner(s) on base and an infielder makes the second out and starts jogging off the field towards the dugout like the inning is over. If one of the runners wanders off a base they tag him out. Usually an ump spoils it for them by calling time out but I've seen it work a couple times and have seen it tried repeatedly. Yoko Ono level Bush.

TheBigKahuna

The Veteran
"A slang term used to describe play that is of minor league or unprofessional quality. The "bushes" or the "sticks" are small towns where minor league teams may operate, the latter term also used in the acting profession, famously in the Variety headline of July 17, 1935, "Sticks nix hick pix", meaning small towns reject motion pictures about small towns. A "busher" refers to someone from the "bush leagues": see subtitle of Ring Lardner's first book, "You Know Me Al: A Busher's Letters".

NewSoftballer

Addicted to Softballfans

In League = NGTG
Tourney = GTG
:rolleyes:

MichelleG

Addicted to Softballfans
my mistake. i've never fully understood the infield fly thing. i've seen umps mess it up too many times to know what is right.

I don't understand why this is so hard to remember. Fly ball hit where an infielder can make the catch with reasonable effort, with runners on 1 and 2 or 1, 2, and 3 with less than two outs. It's not brain surgery. :D

Kenny Powers

Addicted to Softballfans
Bush league...swing pretty much nailed it. Going into a bag cleats up is dirty and bush. Trying to bump the 1B when you're running to first is bush league. Throwing your hands up to try to distract a throwing fielder is bush.

Cleats up with the intent to break up the play.....NO, with the intent to injure, Yeah that is bush league.

Bumping the 1B......Yeah that is bush league.

Throwing your hands up to distract a throwing fielder.....NO, not bush league, but downright stupid. Our SS in college broke a runner's hand doing that. Not bush league, just stupid.

Carry on!