College Football 2012 Thread

j.bishop

Nothing to see here
All I'm saying is know the facts before you whine about the SEC getting special attention that the PAC-12 doesn't get. I think Oregon is a good football team, but good doesnt win national championships great does and great football teams handle their business when everything is on the line which is what Oregon failed to do Saturday and now they opened the door for some other team to take their place in the national championship game. It just so happens that barring something crazy happening this weekend it will be a SEC team that takes the spot vs. ND.

And I'm not a SEC homer, I am a Florida St. fan. I know better than most how frustrating it is when your favorite team loses a game they aren't supposed to.

balcoballer

I REPORT POSTS
USC QBs are always ****y. But dont sleep on him just becasue hes a redshirt freshman. As much as I hate to say it USC has a history of great QBs, and I have to root for them on saturday, along with UCLA and FSU.

usc doesnt recruit ****ty players -thats a given and you cant take it lightly

I know right? What's he supposed to say, " we're going to get smashed"

no- but maybe say nothing? i dunno:rolleyes:

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans

**** like this makes me :eek: to admit I graduated from Bama

I am not a Bama fan, but in all honesty it was no where near as bad as I firszt thought it was going to be. I thought it was actually pretty damn good.

Even if ND does lose and the Gators beat FSU, Florida will not sniff the BCSCG this year. The media will make sure there is a magic drop in the last week of the polls to keep the SEC from having two teams in the final again. For those clamoring for Oregon, why should they go if they don't win their own division?

It will be interesting to see if the same people that whined about Bama and LSU playing last year because one didn't win their division actually whine if Oregon gets to go. I sort of agree, however, if you end up winning your last games and the teams ahead of you lose even if you don't win your division you are still ranked higher and thus go. Again I can see both sides.

Strength of schedule, and timing of loss has something to do with it. Oregon has not beat a currently ranked team. Alabama has beat 3 currently ranked teams. I personally thought Bama should have dropped to 5th, 1 spot behing UGA, but it will be a wash if Bama and UGA play each other in the SECCG.

I thought Bama should have dropped with UGA winning that same week. I wish they could factor in quality of win, and stuff. Losing to the #6th team when you are #5 (even if blown out) still looks better than the #1 team losing to the #15 team.

Doubtful that will happen. Did anyone hapopen to see ESPN this morning, reported that BCSNCG ticket prices have increased 25% since Sunday, after taking a drop when Bama lost and it looked like K State and Oregon were gonna be the 2 in the game. Money drives CFB and the BCS, and there will be no bigger money draw for the BCS than ND vs Bama. Gonna watch for some questionable calls this week and Bama vs UGA game

I don't think it will matter which SEC team goes. I would think with it being so long since georgia has played for a national championship that if they were to make it they would sell more tickets. I really, really don't want to see ND go. Now that i think about it. I do hope ND goes. I hope Bama or Georgia beats the ever living piss out of them so Lou Holtz has to suck on that for a while.

You think the SEC would protect their teams??? NOOOOO!!! Say it ain't so!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4583062

It is still BS!!!!

What is BS is the fact you found an atricle from 2009 about a ref that made a bad call. Go figure a human screwing up.

If the gators win Saturday I will change my avatar to a gators pic

But if they lose you have to change yours to an FSU one :D

Take the bet!!! Of course I guess Heisman doesn't want a FSU avy

True.....You don't get a scholarship to USC for playing like a talentless ass...........But, the same can be said for Notre Dame. I expect a very good game.

I am going to say a field goal either late in the game or OT.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Even if ND does lose and the Gators beat FSU, Florida will not sniff the BCSCG this year. The media will make sure there is a magic drop in the last week of the polls to keep the SEC from having two teams in the final again. For those clamoring for Oregon, why should they go if they don't win their own division?
True, except for the fact they let Bama go just last year and they didn't win their division. I know they don't happen to play in the same division as #1 like Bama did last year, but the precedent has been set (well at least for a year until it changes again).

I agree , you should have to win your division first
That's what they said in 2007 when what I think was a better Georgia team was bypassed for the media favorite that year LSU. Although LSU did beat Ohio State, I think Georgia could have too and done a better job. Ohio State got there because the top two teams choked and got upset the last week of the season (sound somewhat familiar?)

Doubtful that will happen. Did anyone hapopen to see ESPN this morning, reported that BCSNCG ticket prices have increased 25% since Sunday, after taking a drop when Bama lost and it looked like K State and Oregon were gonna be the 2 in the game. Money drives CFB and the BCS, and there will be no bigger money draw for the BCS than ND vs Bama. Gonna watch for some questionable calls this week and Bama vs UGA game
Ticket prices /= ticket sales. It just means whoever owns the tickets and is scalping them thinks they can sucker more money out of Bama and ND fans than Oregon and KState fans (if it means anything at all this far away). I'm pretty sure ticket sales won't be an issue at all for any of the top five or six teams. Bama and Oregon have strong followings, and Georgia, ND, and KState all haven't been in a while so you can pretty much guarantee their fan base will buy up tickets.

I do agree Bama/ND will be a huge money maker and the ratings definitely won't suffer. I personally would rather see a Bama/Oregon game because I think it's a much better matchup. After watching the A&M game, I think Oregon has the best shot at beating Bama with five weeks to prepare. Although honestly, it would be a bigger slap in the face to see ND beat Bama since a lot of SEC fans seem to be completely writing them off as not legit (not necessarily talking about on here, just in general).

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
usc doesnt recruit ****ty players -thats a given and you cant take it lightly

no- but maybe say nothing? i dunno:rolleyes:

I agree, but how is a kid going to play in his first big game of the season? He has 9 passes all season, 3 against Washington, 3 against Colorado, and 3 against UCLA (and those were in the last few minutes with the game decided).

Keep in mind Johnathan Franklin averaged almost 6 yards a rush to the tune of 171 rushing yards against USC's defense. I'm just not sure this kid can put enough points up against ND's defense to offset how much their defense is probably going to give up.

Of course, USC could come out and the kid could pull a Kaepernick and look better than Barkley in his first start and just smash ND. Odds are against it though.

HE15MAN

Go Gators!!!
Bottom line is Oregon, had they not shat the bed, would be the #1 team in the country. Once the bed has been shat, you lose the ability to ***** much.

johnboy74

Addicted to Softballfans
That's funny because Arizona and Washington both have 4 losses, in fact they are the only 2 teams in the top 25 BCS rankings that have more than 3 losses. Nice try though

You're right. I thought Michigan had 4 losses. Should've looked first before shooting my mouth off.

All I'm saying is know the facts before you whine about the SEC getting special attention that the PAC-12 doesn't get. I think Oregon is a good football team, but good doesnt win national championships great does and great football teams handle their business when everything is on the line which is what Oregon failed to do Saturday and now they opened the door for some other team to take their place in the national championship game. It just so happens that barring something crazy happening this weekend it will be a SEC team that takes the spot vs. ND.

And I'm not a SEC homer, I am a Florida St. fan. I know better than most how frustrating it is when your favorite team loses a game they aren't supposed to.

Why is it though when SEC teams barely get by teams from small conferences, or FCS teams, they get a pass. Hell, two losses won't even get you out of the top-10 most of the time.

Bottom line is Oregon, had they not shat the bed, would be the #1 team in the country. Once the bed has been shat, you lose the ability to ***** much.

Unless of course you're in the SEC. You know, teams like Bama that lost to a two loss team. A team that scraped by LaTech. How about a team like LSU or Florida that needed good fortune to beat not just FCS teams, but bad ones at that.

j.bishop

Nothing to see here
Why is it though when SEC teams barely get by teams from small conferences, or FCS teams, they get a pass. Hell, two losses won't even get you out of the top-10 most of the time

I guess it's because the overall strength of the conference, they do have quite a few teams (6) in the top 15 of the BCS and having teams like USC crap the bed doesn't help the PAC-12 at all

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
Why is it though when SEC teams barely get by teams from small conferences, or FCS teams, they get a pass. Hell, two losses won't even get you out of the top-10 most of the time.

Unless of course you're in the SEC. You know, teams like Bama that lost to a two loss team. A team that scraped by LaTech. How about a team like LSU or Florida that needed good fortune to beat not just FCS teams, but bad ones at that.

They don't factor in quality of wins, or margin of wins in the standings when the computer figures it up. Beat a undefeated team by 100 looks the same as beating a team with no wins by 1. A win is a win according to the computers. Even if Oregon loses to Oregon St. this week I don't feel they will drop out of the top 10

I love it how you are whining about Bama losing to a 2 loss school less than a week after Oregon lost to Stanford that had 2 losses (one to Washington who has 4 losses and not even ranked). The same Stanford team that scraped by San Jose St. and having to go into overtime to beat Arizona. Bama lost to A&M who had wins over Florida who was ranked, and LSU who was ranked. So if you factor in quality of wins then Oregon should be even further down the polls than due to who they lost to as compared to Bama just to be honest.

As far as the top 10 now. Only problems I have are

• Georgia should be ranked above Bama because they won the same week Bama lost.
• Florida St. and Clemson should be ranked 7 and 8 because they are 10-1 compared to 9-2. Maybe 8 and 9 since A&M did beat the #1 team at the time
• Next if you put Florida St. and Clemson up there Texas A&M should be right below them. Then LSU, then Stanford due to who they lost to.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
They don't factor in quality of wins, or margin of wins in the standings when the computer figures it up. Beat a undefeated team by 100 looks the same as beating a team with no wins by 1. A win is a win according to the computers. Even if Oregon loses to Oregon St. this week I don't feel they will drop out of the top 10

I love it how you are whining about Bama losing to a 2 loss school less than a week after Oregon lost to Stanford that had 2 losses (one to Washington who has 4 losses and not even ranked). The same Stanford team that scraped by San Jose St. and having to go into overtime to beat Arizona. Bama lost to A&M who had wins over Florida who was ranked, and LSU who was ranked. So if you factor in quality of wins then Oregon should be even further down the polls than due to who they lost to as compared to Bama just to be honest.

As far as the top 10 now. Only problems I have are

• Georgia should be ranked above Bama because they won the same week Bama lost.
• Florida St. and Clemson should be ranked 7 and 8 because they are 10-1 compared to 9-2. Maybe 8 and 9 since A&M did beat the #1 team at the time
• Next if you put Florida St. and Clemson up there Texas A&M should be right below them. Then LSU, then Stanford due to who they lost to.

You Sir, get out of here with logical explanations for why the top 10 should be ranked in that order. :D

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Is Colorado better than a fcs school?

Barely, but the same could probably be said about Auburn and maybe Kentucky. Kentucky is probably better than the other two, but Auburn is probably right there with Colordo as far as suckiness. Ok, that's a little stretch. Colorado's defense is worse, but as far as the offenses go, you could switch jerseys and I don't think anyone would notice.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I guess it's because the overall strength of the conference, they do have quite a few teams (6) in the top 15 of the BCS and having teams like USC crap the bed doesn't help the PAC-12 at all

Going back to the week before the USC loss, they were actually ranked below UCLA in the BCS. So losing to a higher ranked team in a rivalry game is ****ting the bed? A team that already had three losses losing again? I would think losing at home to a team you are favored over by 2 TD's and are ranked 14 points higher in the BCS would be ****ting the bed. Losing to the #17 ranked rival team when you are #18 isn't exactly an upset. Getting blown out by 30 points by an unranked team is ****ting the bed. :D

Yeah, but it's a rigged system. The SEC starts the season with half the conference in the Top 15. So when they lose, they get credit for losing to a top team so they don't drop as far. When they win, they get credit for a quality win. Without games being played out of Conference or common games to compare them to, how do you know losing to Florida is any better or worse than losing to Oregon? How do you know losing to A&M is any better or worse than losing to Stanford?

The funny thing is the SEC nut huggers were routinely dogging Texas A&M and every other Big 12 school as not playing defense and not capable of hanging with the big boys. Now that A&M is in the SEC and they knocked off one of the SEC big boys, they are legit this year magically. Yet if this was A&M beating Oklahoma they wouldn't have gotten any credit from SEC teams if they were still in the Big 12.

Alabama when I looked today has played 3 teams in the CURRENT BCS Top 25. Michigan (#19), LSU (#7) and A&M (#9). If they were like most SEC teams and didn't schedule one of the top 25 teams from another conference, they would have exactly two ranked teams in conference to hang their hat on and one of those was a loss. I'm not saying Alabama isn't good, but they get credit for being one of the top teams in the country despite having only played 3 ranked teams. They were given a lot of credit for beating a Michigan team in the beginning (I give them credit for even scheduling Michigan), yet Michigan beat Air Force by less than a TD the next week. Because of scheduling, Bama didn't have to play South Carolina, Florida, or Georgia, yet were given every benefit of the doubt from the very beginning. Bama loses, Georgia wins the same week, yet stays higher ranked. Oregon loses to a ranked team in OT and drops farther than Bama did. I'm not saying the system is rigged, but............ the system is rigged.

j.bishop

Nothing to see here
I wasn't saying that USC s*** the bed for losing to UCLA I was saying that they s*** the bed for the season. Coming in so highly touted ranked #1 and losing enough games to fall out of the top 25 doesn't help the PAC-12 as a conference imo.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I wasn't saying that USC s*** the bed for losing to UCLA I was saying that they s*** the bed for the season. Coming in so highly touted ranked #1 and losing enough games to fall out of the top 25 doesn't help the PAC-12 as a conference imo.

Or......Does it show how tough the Pac 12 is as a whole?........I mean with the exception of WSU or Colorado.

Last edited:

balcoballer

I REPORT POSTS
I agree, but how is a kid going to play in his first big game of the season? He has 9 passes all season, 3 against Washington, 3 against Colorado, and 3 against UCLA (and those were in the last few minutes with the game decided).

Keep in mind Johnathan Franklin averaged almost 6 yards a rush to the tune of 171 rushing yards against USC's defense. I'm just not sure this kid can put enough points up against ND's defense to offset how much their defense is probably going to give up.

Of course, USC could come out and the kid could pull a Kaepernick and look better than Barkley in his first start and just smash ND. Odds are against it though.

usc's defense keeping it close will be the key. if they do that and it goes into the fourth quater - watch out.

i tell you, as an ND fan you are just used to them pissing games away. that hasnt been the the case this year but it just seems like it is lurking around the corner.

i hope they come out and punch them in the mouf right away like the did to oklahoma

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?

My badness. I completely misunderstood what you were trying to say. This is one of the problems with preseason rankings, they are make believe. Most of it is on name. Then they look at how many starters that team lost and try to guesstimate how many wins they will get. USC got way too much credit at the beginning of the season. A few years ago when Auburn won the National Championship, they were ranked 22nd initially and there were three or four other SEC teams in the Top 10.

I would like to see no official polls until the week the BCS comes out, mid October or whenever it is. I would also like to see some way for the BCS to reward scheduling top 25 teams from other conferences. Maybe bonus points. Every team would have an opportunity to get the same amount of bonus points, so it wouldn't be unfair. If you schedule an FCS opponent, you lose bonus points. There has to be some way to try to push teams towards scheduling at least one tough opponent.

While Ohio State has it's fair share of ooc cupcakes they have been one of the better schools about scheduling legit ooc opponents too. They have done a home and home with USC and Texas. They scheduled Cal who has been Top 25 recently but obviously wasn't this year. They have Home and Homes coming up with Va Tech (14 and 15) Oklahoma (16 and 17), TCU (18 and 19), Oregon (20 and 21) and Texas (22 and 23). I challenge you to find another top 25 school that tries to schedule an OOC Top 25 opponent every year. Most are too scurred. Bama has done Penn State and Michigan. I'll give them that. LSU did Oregon and Boise State.

As a college football fan, I would like to see more of those games, but most schools are scared of taking an extra L and there really is no incentive. Florida hasn't played a decent OOC opponent from outside the state of Florida in as long as I can remember. Georgia played someone decent in the last few years and lost. The rest of the SEC "fans" (hard to call anyone a fan of a school that relies on other schools wins, even rivals to give your school credibility) gave Georgia **** for taking that game. Only play ones you can win damn it. :rolleyes:

JTtampabay

Addicted to Softballfans
Ahhhhh it's a beautiful morning here in Florida , got the Boston butt in the smoker , and get to watch a ton of good rivalry games. Do the Seminoles beat the gators for the third straight season? I think they do :D

bullet29

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm all for tougher OOC scheduling. Georgia has traveled in the past decade very well but unfortunately I feel that has ended with the new UGA AD scheduling policy when the conferences expanded. A series with Oregon and Ohio State were scrapped when both conferences were talking about a 9 game conference schedule. I understand Georgia's new policy, they are putting themselves at a disadvantage in the SEC by scheduling 2 BCS schools in the same year when most of the other SEC teams aren't even scheduling one. But I don't like it at all. I would love to see all the BCS conferences move to a 9 game conference schedule and at least one other team from another BCS conference. That would still allow one cupcake from 1-AA and one game with a non-BCS 1-A team.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
How dont I? I guess UF as no rivals.

Its not a real rivalry if its with four teams. I can tell you who alabamas rival is and USC and Oregon and Harvard. No idea with Florida. Georgia? Miami? FSU? LSU? Help me out here