College Football 2012 Thread

justinstp

PayPal Ready
Yeah, first time he's really gotten a chance to get some carries this year with Ware being sick and Blue being out. He looked damn good.

HE15MAN

Go Gators!!!
It was ugly. It was a trap game. We had a ton of hurt players, but it was still a win. 6-0 and it could be a lot worse. Ill take it.

ihs

Wait, what?
Wow, no screaming about the first BCS poll?

This has been a weird year. Alabama seems legit at #1, but no one else really jumps out as a great team so far. Florida certainly doesn't feel like the second best team, but I'm not sure who I'd put ahead of them.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
Pretty much as expected, UF gets nod over Oregon due to stronger schedule at this point, but Oregon will close gap/maybe pass due to back loaded schedule. Either way, the top 3 teams control their destiny, win out and you play in Miami. Everyone else needs help from top 3 teams

jobro31

<font color="#CD0000">Bleeding Crimson</font>
Pretty blatant dirty play at the end of a blowout... should be forced to sit out at least a game IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GhRQ-Yh1Svg
or the mizzou guys kneeing and stepping on him, but 3rd string what can u do?

Gotta wonder about that last play, looked like the ball crossed the line to me, and the rb never stopped moving. Also noticed the two hits to the rb's face by Teo on 3rd down after the whistle that didn't get a call. Guess the luck of the Irish includes some help from the refs :confused:

I'm still confused on that ending, Teo slapping him and announcers don't even mention it just how great of a play he made??? And on 4th he never stopped moving, didn't hear a whistle, and very least a fumble that was recovered by Stanford

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
Pretty blatant dirty play at the end of a blowout... should be forced to sit out at least a game IMO.

Still haven't heard from league office. Hopefully they do suspend him at minimum 1 game.

Quote from Saban today:

"This is a young player who's excited about getting in the game who makes a very, very poor decision and judgment on making that play," Saban said. "It's something we don't condone here. It's not how we want our players to play.

"I think he understands that what he did was not done in the right way in terms of being a strong competitor, and we are managing internally things for him to do to make better choices and decisions in the future. With our young people, when they make mistakes, that's what you really want to try to do."

Saban said Fanning has written letters of apology to Hansbrough and to Missouri coach Gary Pinkel.

"I talked to Gary yesterday about it," Saban said of his former teammate at Kent State. "He understands our position on it, and there's other things that are done internally in the program, and we kind of take it from there."

Marshenko

Not sure if posted already, but these are tight...

A5OhCEACQAAf16V.jpg

QCKLTGJJOBIJWHL.20121012232154.jpg

ancientways.sbc

Addicted to Softballfans

I'm still confused on that ending, Teo slapping him and announcers don't even mention it just how great of a play he made??? And on 4th he never stopped moving, didn't hear a whistle, and very least a fumble that was recovered by Stanford

N.D fans/ some reporters saying forward progress was stopped, if that was the case he should have been marked down for a loss... in any event he did lose the ball, after crossing the goal though.. I don't think you can find too many people out there who didn't think it was a td, besides the replay official

JohnnysLounge14

GO IRISH!!!
I got TX, ND, USCe, LaTech, Miss. St, Or ST. However since I'm not an SEC blowhard, I'll only be paying attention to STAN vs. ND, TAMU vs LaTech hoping LaTech gets a win, because **** TAMU and the SEC, and BYU vs Or. St.

Furthermore, ND will not move up to 4th if they win, the only way they move up is if one of the top 6 lose. Remember they don't play in the SEC. Even if they did move up, it would be warranted.

This thread should be renamed as well, to The SEC 2012. Because no one else matters. :rolleyes:

^^^^^

All how cute. Notre Dame is halfway relevant again for the first time in over 5 years and you want to act like they're the best in the country

Hmm, where in my post did I mention anything about how ND is the best in the country? They certainly have played one of the best schedules in College Football this year though. It doesn't get any easier either. Your post proved exactly what I said at the end though, rename this thread to the SEC 2012, and everyone else. :rolleyes:

Gotta wonder about that last play, looked like the ball crossed the line to me, and the rb never stopped moving. Also noticed the two hits to the rb's face by Teo on 3rd down after the whistle that didn't get a call. Guess the luck of the Irish includes some help from the refs :confused:

I indeed agree there was room for debate on that last play. I also thought I saw someones hand fly in there, I don't think it was blatant though, I don't think it was Teo either. Regardless of who it was, which is not relevant, I noticed that he was looking away when the swat came. If you think that was blatant, you must have been wearing your down with ND goggles and they allowed you to see that.

Stanford-ND didn't play live here, because our local FCS team played the same time so it aired over on our local NBC, which happened to be a fail. I got it DVR'ed on NBCSports Network this afternoon and just finished watching though.

As for the local game that aired over it, the #1 team in the FCS lost by 3 to Indiana State. Exactly, Indiana State, who here has heard of them? If so, besides their RB, Shakir Bell. Seriously, have any of you heard of Indiana State? Or North Dakota State for that matter? Haha. :eek:

No kidding, haven't really been relevant since late 80's/early 90's, and then a win over navy and stanford, in ot with help from the refs, and think they are best team out there. To let you know how long it has been, they stormed the field after beating a team that lost to, wait for it, Washington, lol

I also never mentioned anything about their relevance. I don't do the rankings son. Your beef is with the media, not me. They crushed Navy BTW, and beat Purdue in a close one. The refs excuse is also weak and lame. How old are we? As for the Purdue game, no idea how the game went, wasn't able to see it.

However, they shut down at the time Top 10 ranked Mich. St. They beat a top 20 Michigan team, one that Alabama handled. It was close, closer than it should've been perhaps but they along with Alabama are the only two teams this year that have been able to stop Denard Robinson. They then crushed Miami who was 1 loss before the game and had a QB that no one could stop, and one that was putting up numbers 2nd only to Geno Smith.

They also stopped him without their top DB, in 5th year safety Jamoris Slaughter. They have 2 converted underclassmen WR's playing DB along with a converted freshman RB playing the other corner. The lone player with any significant experience in their secondary before this year was Zeke Motta, and he played sparingly over the last 2 or 3 years so significant is even possibly overstated. Yet, they still havent allowed an offensive touchdown since week 2 and have only allowed 3 all year, 1 was in garbage time against Navy when their scrubs were on the field.

Did you stop to think they stormed the field because it was a rivalry game? A battle for the legends trophy, a trophy and a rivalry game that they hadn't won in at least 3 years? Not to mention the fact that Stanford was still ranked in the top 20? Or was it just too consuming of a thought that ND wasn't in the SEC to think they still play meaningful games?

Also do you think the way they won right or wrong call had a factor in it? 4 straight stops with about a yard to go? I'm not saying it was the right call, not saying it was wrong either, certainly happy though that I didn't have to make the call. The call on the field was forward progress. Whistles blew, replay official didn't see anything inconclusive that he could overturn with. that is the key, inconclusive evidence, of which the replay official didn't find any. Right or wrong, that's the rule with replay. If you believe he scored before forward progress, then take it up with the Pac-12 refs that made the call. Hating on ND and its fans won't help any.

3 of 6 games this year have been against then ranked top 25 teams. How many top 25 games has Alabama played thus far? Florida? LSU?

Isn't playing top teams and winning what the polls reward? Why is there so much disillusionment over ND then? They have proved themselves each and every week. Is it merely just because ND is a love/hate entity? They haven't been relevant since the 90's sure, but what does that have to do with THIS YEAR? They keep playing relevant teams THIS YEAR, and they keep beating them. Since ND has struggled with relevance do you suggest that their fans just sit back silently without being excited about their favorite team? Who/what fan base would do that in any conference, year, world, EVER?

Speaking of relevance, the very meaning of relevance is what is significant, important, happening NOW. Well right NOW. ND is 6-0, bowl eligible, and batting 1.000 against top 25 teams. Not sure how much more relevant it can get. :confused:

Is it the SEC tag that they are missing that makes them the target of mass pissing and moaning? The SEC may be the strongest conference in the FBS, that doesn't mean that no one else is relevant though. Sure maybe the SEC will win their 6th or 7th straight national title, of which they have a good chance to do thus far. It is also very possible that they won't. Point blank, there is football outside of the SEC, some pretty good football too.

However, hating ND just to hate them is silly, its fine, but not only is it silly; it's biased, pigheaded, and vengeful. Hating ND also won't guarantee the SEC wins another natty. It has little, even nothing to do with whether or not the SEC wins at all.

Now, here is your cue to say, yeah, come play in the SEC or some snide remark as such. However, ND has been playing quality opponents week after week, with little or no rest, cupcakes are few and far between with their schedule, I would be willing to bet that ND would play SEC teams, but the SEC contenders are too busy preparing for huge games every week in the SEC against the likes of Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Missouri. When they aren't playing SEC teams they schedule FCS, Sun Belt, or Conference USA bottom-dwellers to fill their OOC games instead of setting aside a game against "not relevant since the 90's" Notre Dame. :eek:

GO SEC!

Haha, wow, dude got owned though. Mizzou linemen gave him a good pop afterwards too.

EDIT!!! for the 14th time, I went back and looked at the last series, It was definitely Teo, and it was definitely blatant. I thought it appeared differently in real time but watching it on replay and slowing it down, he *****-slapped Taylor. Lucky indeed, there was no call there, game very well could've ended differently if thats called. I will say that stuff in that same realm goes uncalled more often than we realize. Lots happens on the field, tough to see everything, even though that was pretty easy to spot I would imagine. All I can say is live to play another day I guess. Vengeance for the Bush Push maybe??? haha :eek:. Really not sure how that went uncalled. :confused:

Last edited:

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?

As for the Bama kid, it was dirty but I was impressed with the way Saban handled it (and impressed with how the Missouri linemen handled it too:D).

As for the ND thing. I have no dog in the fight but it sure looks like Teo slaps the **** out of his head and it sure looked like a TD to me. I'm not a ND hater and not a Stanford (or even Pac 12) fan. Just my observations. The first thing I thought when I saw the video was "Am I the only one that saw him slap the **** out of him? The announcers are talking about a great stop".

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Wow, no screaming about the first BCS poll?

Doesn't make that much of a difference in the first poll who is 4 thousands of a point ahead of who in the top four. It'll all sort itself out. I get more pissed with the constant politicking before the last poll and how teams magically jump four or five slots or how the "rules" don't seem to stay consistent season to season for who moves up.

Florida's win over LSU got them the #2 slot and they can help solidify that spot by beating USCe. I'm still not sold on South Carolina and I'm not sold LSU is a top 5 team. We'll find out when they play Bama. Something's got to give. Either LSU has to wake up and play offense consistently against one of the better defenses in the country or Death Valley is going to become friendly to visitors all of a sudden.

I'm thinking Florida might be the second best team in the SEC this year. We should get a better idea this week, but I'm not a South Carolina believer and if I'm not mistaken, I think Florida gets some players back healthy this week.

JohnnysLounge14

GO IRISH!!!
As for the Bama kid, it was dirty but I was impressed with the way Saban handled it (and impressed with how the Missouri linemen handled it too:D).

As for the ND thing. I have no dog in the fight but it sure looks like Teo slaps the **** out of his head and it sure looked like a TD to me. I'm not a ND hater and not a Stanford (or even Pac 12) fan. Just my observations. The first thing I thought when I saw the video was "Am I the only one that saw him slap the **** out of him? The announcers are talking about a great stop".

He definitely *****-slapped Taylor did Teo. However, if you watch the video, you tell me, they say no one knows when the whistle blew, I can bet you Teo knows, if the whistle didn't blow why would he pull up and just stop and not hit Taylor? Why would any defensive player do that. That really has me stumped. Also from watching the video, you see the ref was running in, he would only run in if he had blown his whistle. Right or wrong, Refs blew the play dead, if there's anyone to blame its the refs.

Doesn't make that much of a difference in the first poll who is 4 thousands of a point ahead of who in the top four. It'll all sort itself out. I get more pissed with the constant politicking before the last poll and how teams magically jump four or five slots or how the "rules" don't seem to stay consistent season to season for who moves up.

Florida's win over LSU got them the #2 slot and they can help solidify that spot by beating USCe. I'm still not sold on South Carolina and I'm not sold LSU is a top 5 team. We'll find out when they play Bama. Something's got to give. Either LSU has to wake up and play offense consistently against one of the better defenses in the country or Death Valley is going to become friendly to visitors all of a sudden.

I'm thinking Florida might be the second best team in the SEC this year. We should get a better idea this week, but I'm not a South Carolina believer and if I'm not mistaken, I think Florida gets some players back healthy this week.

I haven't even looked at the BCS polls. With the way this year and even last year have gone, they are insignificant. Especially the 1st one. They won't matter until much closer to the final poll. Like you said, it'll all sort itself out.

Last edited:

HE15MAN

Go Gators!!!

I dont know. i dont think Florida will win this week. Their inconsistent offense at times, slow starts, and fear of throwing the ball deep will catch up to us. They could very easily end up with three losses. It still really seems like Pease is slowly showing more and more things, but maybe im looking to much into it. The play action passing was a huge part at Boise, and we have seen none.

Lets hope they do get healthy. They were playing with a MASH unit against Vandy. They had 4 starting OL out and two on the D. It was rough. Somehow 6th year senior James Wilson, starting LG broke the back of his eye socket against LSU.

Last edited:

Jayrock

Will Play for Bud Light!
I dont know. i dont think Florida will win this week. Their inconsistent offense at times, slow starts, and fear of throwing the ball deep will catch up to us. They could very easily end up with three losses. It still really seems like Pease is slowly showing more and more things, but maybe im looking to much into it. The play action passing was a huge part at Boise, and we have seen none.

Lets hope they do get healthy. They were playing with a MASH unit against Vandy. They had 4 starting OL out and two on the D. It was rough. Somehow 6th year senior James Wilson, starting LG broke the back of his eye socket against LSU.

SoCar and Florida both hold their own fate. Win out and win the east, and get a shot at Bama. Carolina wasnt ready to play against LSU, peroid. I blame the coaching staff for that. Combined with that and the just plain stupid play calling in the first half they were lucky to hold the lead at the half. Running Lat play after play right into the middle of the lsu front line got them nowhere.

This Carolina team is starting to revert back to its old ways, every year Carolina has had a stellar defense but no offense at all. The offense goes 3 & out the first 3 quarters then the defense finally gives out in the 4th after being on the field all game and Carolina loses another close one.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
JohnnysLounge14-- I am not quoting the novel you wrote:D, although very good points

I do not hate ND, just pointing out the fact that they are one of the few teams out there, Bama included, that can start the season ranked 29th, go 2-0 against relative nobody's, and jump in the polls like nobody's business.

As far as storming the field, rivalry game or not, I expect more from ND fans given the tradition and history of their program. Not too long ago, Bama had lost 6 or 7 in a row to auburn, and when they beat them, they did not storm the field. To me, and this is my opinion, but "Blue Blood Programs" do not storm the field after winning a game, it is one of the things that seperates us from them.

As for the call at the end of the game, just stating it was contraversial, and if the game wasn't in ND, it might have gone the other way. Just one of the benefits of playing at home, kinda like forgetting to mow the grass when USCw comes to town. In the end, as with many sports, don't leave it up to the refs/umps.

And yes, I have heard of ND State, buddy of mine out here played for Montana, he told me about them, and most people over the age of 30 has heard of Indiana St., pretty good basketball player from there, name of Larry Bird:D

ND's SOS is getting weaker, and could very well continue that way. Stanford now has 2 losses, 1 bad one to Washington, and could have 1-2 more, Miami lost to UNC, and still has to play Clemson, FSU, and I think VaTech, don't even need to mention Mich St. So far, Michigan is looking like the best team ND has played so far, with Okla and USCw on the way.

Bama's SOS will get stronger, with Miss St., Tex A&M, LSU, and if they run the table, looking like UF or USCe.

But, like I have stated before, there is a lot of football left to play, and both ND and Bama could wind up with multiple losses:eek:

JohnnysLounge14

GO IRISH!!!

Holy ****, that would super duper suck. Breaking the back of an eye socket. talk about ouch. I haven't gotten to watch FLA much this year, I'm glad they beat LSU though, I will say that good teams from the SEC keep stepping up. Except for USCe, I was taken aback when they lost to LSU, after what they did to GA, but it seems like GA was overrated from the start. As much as I dislike the SEC, they got some damn good teams.

JohnnysLounge14-- I am not quoting the novel you wrote:D, although very good points

I do not hate ND, just pointing out the fact that they are one of the few teams out there, Bama included, that can start the season ranked 29th, go 2-0 against relative nobody's, and jump in the polls like nobody's business.

As far as storming the field, rivalry game or not, I expect more from ND fans given the tradition and history of their program. Not too long ago, Bama had lost 6 or 7 in a row to auburn, and when they beat them, they did not storm the field. To me, and this is my opinion, but "Blue Blood Programs" do not storm the field after winning a game, it is one of the things that seperates us from them.

As for the call at the end of the game, just stating it was contraversial, and if the game wasn't in ND, it might have gone the other way. Just one of the benefits of playing at home, kinda like forgetting to mow the grass when USCw comes to town. In the end, as with many sports, don't leave it up to the refs/umps.

And yes, I have heard of ND State, buddy of mine out here played for Montana, he told me about them, and most people over the age of 30 has heard of Indiana St., pretty good basketball player from there, name of Larry Bird:D

ND's SOS is getting weaker, and could very well continue that way. Stanford now has 2 losses, 1 bad one to Washington, and could have 1-2 more, Miami lost to UNC, and still has to play Clemson, FSU, and I think VaTech, don't even need to mention Mich St. So far, Michigan is looking like the best team ND has played so far, with Okla and USCw on the way.

Bama's SOS will get stronger, with Miss St., Tex A&M, LSU, and if they run the table, looking like UF or USCe.

But, like I have stated before, there is a lot of football left to play, and both ND and Bama could wind up with multiple losses:eek:

That is certainly a good point as well. They sure can make moves in the polls, warranted or not. I do think ND, has been getting a lot of help from other top ranked undefeated teams losing games they shouldn't.

It is also a very good point you make about storming the fields. Its hard to argue that, and since I've never been to an ND game, I don't know how I would react to that situation. I'd certainly like to see a bit more humility from ND, but it seems like since they've been out of serious discussion for so long, the lack of humility on the part of our fans might be stemming from that.

Long time coming as they say, plus I think its nice sometimes to sit back and say hey, look here, we're undefeated and winning some huge rivalry games, to stick it to some of the other football followers out there, and even the media, to show them that ND can win big games. I mean, who wouldn't wanna sit back and say OBTW, look at us now haters. Just an opinion I guess, My $0.02.

Regardless I'd rather see fans act like they've been here before, even though not since 2002, and even longer if you are talking significant position to compete for Natty's. Not since the early 90's have they had a decent shot at a Natty. The way most of our fans turn their noses up to everyone else about academics and tradition and all that, you would expect them to separate themselves from the rest in victory as well as in defeat. Years and years of defeat. :eek:

There's also no doubt about the controversy, and IMO it easily could've gone differently. I tend to agree though, you can never let the game come down to the decision of officials.

Haha, way cool! Yeah they bit a big **** against Indiana State, who has been horrible at football for awhile. NDSU was coming off a huge win against Youngstown State a week earlier. YSU was 3rd in FCS, and got ran right out of the Fargodome, 48-7. NDSU didn't show up ready to play ISU, and lost because of it, 17-14. Lost their #1 ranking too. SMH. As for ISU, yeah, I had no idea Bird went there. I'm only 22 though and have zero interest in basketball.

The schedule of ND is certainly getting worse. As much as I like to see rivals like Mich, Mich St. Stan, USCw, and Miami lose, I know at the same time its taking some of the power out of their once, envied schedule. Still have big games against USCw and OKLA in Norman, and wins in those games, would be very significant in the end of the year conversation. As long as they win the one's they are supposed to. BYU is still coming to town this week and shouldn't be taken lightly, there offense leaves some to be desired, but they have a stout D, just as ND does.

Wow, for BAMA's remaining schedule as well, as much as I hate to admit it, their schedule will keep getting stronger, Miss St. is a win, LSU should be a good game, don't think A&M has a chance. No disagreement from me they are looking to have an impressive schedule to finish out the year.

All said, I'm right with you, lots of football left to play and I can't wait to see how it all plays out!!!

Last edited:

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
Trust me, I think a Bama vs ND BCSNCG would be huge, talking Super Bowl kinda money huge for ESPN with the price they could charge for commercials. Ticket prices would be insane.

It would be the biggest BCSNCG ever, mainly because of the fan bases, and then all the haters of the schools would tune in to root against them, then there are those that hate both, and would root for a natural disaster:eek:

bullet29

Addicted to Softballfans
Some smoke coming out of Columbia...

http://www.fitsnews.com/2012/10/14/we-hail-thee-carolina-2/

over the course of the last few weeks we’ve discovered that several prominent members of the USC football team are habitually using – and routinely dealing – all manner of illegal drugs (including marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy and various prescription medications).
We’ve also learned that law enforcement is aware of these activities thanks to a recent cocaine bust involving the dealer to a former South Carolina player (a prominent member of the 2010 SEC championship squad). According to our sources, a major national media outlet has been investigating the allegations tied to this former player – seeking to leverage specific information in an effort to connect him to several current Game**** players who are presently dealing drugs.
We don’t know what level of detail this national outlet has obtained (or hopes to obtain) about current Game**** players, but it didn’t take us long to nail down a whole host of details. In addition to the players involved (and the substances they’re selling), we know who they’re buying from, who they’re selling to and where they go for pick ups, money orders and checks made out to “cash.” We also know how they pass “random” drug tests.