Considering a Mizuno Nighthawk USSSA

THESHOE

Starting Player
Nope, too much handle Flex can cost a player the power and inertia into the ball.

Some can benefit from extra whip, while faster power swingers will lose it going into the ball.

Give me a super flexy bat, and I hit it shorter. Give me a 1pc and I hit it shorter. Somewhere in the middle with a tight tight flex is ideal for me like Easton offers and Nighthawk.

The golf shaft analogy was excellent.

Thanks. I always thought flex handles drive balls far for fast swings.

Last edited:

Hiltz

Built for comfort
So I guess, yes given this, to me the Easton do have a bend about them. Albeit a tight one, and very much consistent from day 1 and onward.

I have a few 1 pc Eastons too...and they feel similar to any 2pc Easton i've tried

I don't notice any difference between Easton 1pc and 2pc bats... as long as I'm hitting the sweetspot consistently. Hit close to the endcap with a 2pc and you can suddenly feel some flex. Do it with a 1pc and there is zero give, just black fingernails.

Quick bat speed needs stiff handles. Think of it like a shaft on a driver.

Thanks. I always thought flex handles drive balls far for fast swings.

I'm lazy so I'm not looking for a link, but there was a study done using highspeed photography to test for bat flex. Various models used (that were considered "flexy" at the time ie. Easton Stealth, etc.), college baseball players swinging them 90+ mph, not one of them actually flexed before contact. The only flex detected on any of the bats was on contact off the sweetspot. Endcap shots would flex the barrel backwards and taper shots would slow the handle and allow the barrel to overshoot and flex forward. But zero flex pre-contact, and zero flex on clean hits on the sweetspot.

Jonesie, just go by what feels better to you.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
I disagree on the losing distance with a flexy 2 pc or a 1 pc because of the technology. I think its more related to what fits your specific swing. I've swung all kinds of bats and get very similar results distance wise when i make the necessary adjusments to make sure i'm swinging efficiently and making connection with the sweetspot of that specific bat.

Nope, too much handle Flex can cost a player the power and inertia into the ball.

Some can benefit from extra whip, while faster power swingers will lose it going into the ball.

Give me a super flexy bat, and I hit it shorter. Give me a 1pc and I hit it shorter. Somewhere in the middle with a tight tight flex is ideal for me like Easton offers and Nighthawk.

The golf shaft analogy was excellent.

Jonesie

It don't matter flex or stiff handle. I believe its all timing and getting barrel to ball consistently. SEE BALL, HIT BALL, BALL GO FAR....!

Hiltz

Built for comfort
It don't matter flex or stiff handle. I believe its all timing and getting barrel to ball consistently. SEE BALL, HIT BALL, BALL GO FAR....!

And feel. If you're uncomfortable with a bat you won't do well with it, even if it's a fire stick. I tried a teammate's J3A when it first came out a few years ago; destroyed balls with it but I couldn't stand the floppy handle. I'd rather swing an "ok" bat that feels right than a high-performer that feels awkward and clunky.

Jonesie

And feel. If you're uncomfortable with a bat you won't do well with it, even if it's a fire stick. I tried a teammate's J3A when it first came out a few years ago; destroyed balls with it but I couldn't stand the floppy handle. I'd rather swing an "ok" bat that feels right than a high-performer that feels awkward and clunky.
In NSA leagues I use stiff bats and ASA I use the J3A major Flex, and to me I have no problem with my swing nor exit speeds. They both feel good with barrel on ball. I believe its adjusting your stance and the pitches for both NSA and ASA. Just from my personal experience and preference.

Last edited:

Hiltz

Built for comfort
In NSA leagues I use stiff bats and ASA I use the J3A major Flex, and to me I have no problem with my swing nor exit speeds. They both feel good with barrel on ball. I believe its adjusting your stance and pitches for both NSA and ASA. Just from my personal experience and preference.

I know plenty of people that can use a different bat for every AB. Long barrel, short barrel, endloaded, balanced, different weights, stiff, flexy, etc. They either don't notice a difference, or just don't care.

I'm a bit of a headcase. I can do different barrel lengths and I'm not that sensitive to weight/endload differences, but I need a stiff handle and a crisp barrel. Not to say that I can't do well with a flexy handle or a soft barrel, it just feels gross to me.

Robo_16

Addicted to Softballfans
With the thinner handle the endload simply feels more pronounced. It may have added a little bit to the end but I can't say for sure. It definitely feels better to me

THESHOE

Starting Player
Impatiently awaiting this as well. Below is all I know and have seen. I am eager to swing the demo this winter.

This photo makes me hope for a classic and clean black bat. Loved the Easton Flex this year for it's pure classic black looks, nothing stupid.

14724366_10101011944403000_5152668466769421609_n.jpg

Any idea how it will look?

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
Google...2017 Mizuno Covert

This is the baseball bat that replaces the Nighthawk for baseball in 2017. Not sure if the name will carry over to slowpitch but the color scheme may...at least it appears so from the above pics.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Not too sure on the name or colour.

I know the Covert name is coming to a batting glove line up here.

Would love the black matte colour to come to Knighthawks, if if renamed whatever. As long as they didn't mess too much with the bat itself.

Chudder

Addicted to Softballfans
Any idea how it will look?

Mizuno loves to stay with very clean lines and traditional coloring.

I think if you want really outlandish graphics you wont see them, however the bat will be very tasteful and look great. Ive seen the some of the concepts and they look really good in my opinion...

Got to swing the 2017 Mamba this weekend and I will say the gun metal grey with the orange looks unreal, much better than the black and green from last year.... Im a big fan of the new paint scheme

THESHOE

Starting Player
Judging from the BP vid and the boys swinging the Mamba looks like a pretty damn hot bat if it just came outta wrapper like you guys told me. Even by sound you can hear it it's definitely coming out strong vs the previous version of the Mamba.

Still cannot wait to see the new Hawk or whatever it'll be called.

1 of 2 bats seriously on my radar this year to pick up.

Mizuno loves to stay with very clean lines and traditional coloring.

I think if you want really outlandish graphics you wont see them, however the bat will be very tasteful and look great. Ive seen the some of the concepts and they look really good in my opinion...

Got to swing the 2017 Mamba this weekend and I will say the gun metal grey with the orange looks unreal, much better than the black and green from last year.... Im a big fan of the new paint scheme

Geezer000

Addicted to Softballfans
Judging from the BP vid and the boys swinging the Mamba looks like a pretty damn hot bat if it just came outta wrapper like you guys told me. Even by sound you can hear it it's definitely coming out strong vs the previous version of the Mamba.

Still cannot wait to see the new Hawk or whatever it'll be called.

1 of 2 bats seriously on my radar this year to pick up.

Last years Mamba was a fire stick if you can get use to the weighting. If this years is better WATCH OUT!