• As an out , nothing else.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Triffe2157

Ok guys, got a question here.

I need Clarification of scoring for this play. A sacrifice Fly that literally scores a run, is it written down in the book as a "SAC FLY" or just an OUT?
Yes, i understand that the game is "SLOW" pitch , but my stances is that if you're keeping a "correct" Score Book then it should be written down as a Sac Fly and the batter gets and RBI, but it doesn't count towards the "AT-Bat".
The other side of the argument is that , the only sac fly that counts is a game winning sac fly ?

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I thought in "official" softball scorekeeping anything that isn't a walk or a hit is an out....

Its slowpitch. A batter doesn't deserve credit for a sac fly in softball. He made an out. Baseball is a different story.

billvp

Addicted to Softballfans
how I keep it is only OBP matters, and what in baseball would be a sacrifice fly is just recorded as an out

For those claiming to keep "true" scorebooks, those are "true" fast-pitch books, there is no "true" slow-pitch book ... do you have an official scorer keeping track of hits vs. errors also?

Aside from the last run to win the game, there's no reason for a purposeful sacrifice fly in softball. Since it's so easy to get a hit (and defense is often suspect), it's ridiculously wasteful to purposely get out for one run when the runner is already on third base.

Any scorekeeping that discourages long fly-outs is beneficial to the team. I'm sure that what really happened is someone tried to hit a homerun and popped up and is hoping to not get penalized for it in the book.

defos

When I started playing slow pitch, it was for a very good team and the coach was a stickler for keeping a detailed and accurate scorebook. A caught fly ball that scores a run is a sacrifice, rbi, no at-bat.

If a sacrifice fly ends a hitting streak, does a walk also end a hitting streak? Neither count as an official at-bat.

And yes, I keep track of errors, which count against the hitter. Fielder's choices, too.

Country469

if you need to intentionally give yourself up in softball (what a sac is) then you should just intentionally get a hit. Giving a sac fly in slow pitch is just bailing out a guy who made a bad swing.

Dogue

Evil Genius
I wish sac flys didn't count as an at bat, my avg could only benefit from that. Like stated; it's an out, just like my swinging bunts that advance a runner apparently.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Ok guys, got a question here.

I need Clarification of scoring for this play. A sacrifice Fly that literally scores a run, is it written down in the book as a "SAC FLY" or just an OUT?
Yes, i understand that the game is "SLOW" pitch , but my stances is that if you're keeping a "correct" Score Book then it should be written down as a Sac Fly and the batter gets and RBI, but it doesn't count towards the "AT-Bat".
The other side of the argument is that , the only sac fly that counts is a game winning sac fly ?

Just out of curiosity is the said Sac Fly/Out hitter you or are you asking for a friend? What you should probably keep is On Base Percentage, that fixes your problem. OBP counts a SF as an out, but counts walks as hits basically. Someone who walks twice in a game, got on base twice with zero chance of making an out or getting another runner out. Because of walks, the guy with the higher OBP could be more valuable than the a guy that has a higher BA. If Batter A bats .600 (6 for 10) and Batter B bats .500(3 for 6 with 4 walks) every tournament, I'd rather have Batter B.

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
I wish sac flys didn't count as an at bat, my avg could only benefit from that. Like stated; it's an out, just like my swinging bunts that advance a runner apparently.

But the guy that hits the ss in the chest with a double play ball and man on 1st "hustles" down the line and pads his OBP lol

Dogue

Evil Genius
Because of walks, the guy with the higher OBP could be more valuable than the a guy that has a higher BA. If Batter A bats .600 (6 for 10) and Batter B bats .500(3 for 6 with 4 walks) every tournament, I'd rather have Batter B.
700fdcdfef87109c6aae0489cc18263d3d5140ea680329610141ff7fe1ec8afe.jpg

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
But the guy that hits the ss in the chest with a double play ball and man on 1st "hustles" down the line and pads his OBP lol
Maybe I misunderstood this but if you hit into a fielder's choice and get the runner out at 2nd and beat the throw to 1st, that's not a hit. That's a FC which counts as an 0-fer on that AB. It also doesn't improve his OBP at all. OBP is calculated in Baseball as Hits+Walks+HitByPitch divided by At Bats+Walks+HitByPitch+SacFlies. So the only thing that improves your on base percentage is hits and walks. Not Sac Flies, not Fielder's Choice, not getting on by error.

thebestpr21

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe I misunderstood this but if you hit into a fielder's choice and get the runner out at 2nd and beat the throw to 1st, that's not a hit. That's a FC which counts as an 0-fer on that AB. It also doesn't improve his OBP at all. OBP is calculated in Baseball as Hits+Walks+HitByPitch divided by At Bats+Walks+HitByPitch+SacFlies. So the only thing that improves your on base percentage is hits and walks. Not Sac Flies, not Fielder's Choice, not getting on by error.

Correct. That would be 0-1. If there was a runner on 3rd and he scored, then it would be 0-1 with RBI. SAC is 0-0 with RBI. If runner scores butbits a DP, then thats 0-1 with NO RBI.

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
You both missed the point, I was joking with the guy I quoted originally. This whole argument is stat rat BS

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
You both missed the point, I was joking with the guy I quoted originally. This whole argument is stat rat BS
I did miss the point. My bad. There are a lot of competitive teams that keep BA/OBP and decide who to replace based on those numbers.

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
I did miss the point. My bad. There are a lot of competitive teams that keep BA/OBP and decide who to replace based on those numbers.

No harm, and if teams act like that lower than a paid travel level.....stat rats

No at bat, and a run must score, yes. An easier way to measure performance in softball is just use OBP - as others have shown you. You can obviously get even more creative with stats, but OBP is probably the best.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would count it or not, but this whole count it if it's the winning run nonsense is Bull. It either counts or it doesn't.

Country469

the whole idea of giving yourself up intentionally (which is what a sac is) in underhand softball shows just how bad some of yall really are.

Triffe2157

Just out of curiosity is the said Sac Fly/Out hitter you or are you asking for a friend? What you should probably keep is On Base Percentage, that fixes your problem. OBP counts a SF as an out, but counts walks as hits basically. Someone who walks twice in a game, got on base twice with zero chance of making an out or getting another runner out. Because of walks, the guy with the higher OBP could be more valuable than the a guy that has a higher BA. If Batter A bats .600 (6 for 10) and Batter B bats .500(3 for 6 with 4 walks) every tournament, I'd rather have Batter B.

This situation happened to me during a tourney. The two batters behind me had already hit homeruns and were Offensive Ejections for the rest of the game. We had No outs and a tied ball game when I came up in the 6th inning. I figured it was in the teams best interest if I used my out in a productive way. The next two were guaranteed outs anyway. So we take the lead and go to top of the 7th with a 1 run lead.
The best average on the team for the tourney gets one of the bats that we win and well.... that out is what cost me my argument for best average. 14-17