Death at the field

riotact

don't pitch, learn to hit
Where are all the 3B is part of the game, get used to it comments? :rolleyes:

This totally sucks, My prayers are for the grieving his family and friends will endure with this loss. :(

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
Sucks dude. A couple of weeks ago we were playing a one pitch tournament on Friday night against a team wcuranger had put in. It had poured rain (enough we had about a 20-30 min rain delay). When we resumed we had a guy running towards second. The outfielder from wcuranger's team overthrew it and his second basemen stretched to catch the ball. Our guy couldnt stop because of the mud. Need their 2nd basemen in the side of the head. 2nd basemen was out before he hit the ground. Ended up taking 5 to 10 mins to get him to wake up. I stayed back near our dugout because I didn't want to crowd them. Wcuranger said he was standing there and the dude was snoring. My 3 year old nephew was worried and kept asking if he was ok and if he broke his leg. If that wasn't bad enough. My wife was sitting in the dugout with my mom helping watch some of th ekids keeping them out of the rain. Well my wife got worried thinking somehting might happen to me. it sucked. I couldn't imgaine being there to see that.

Prayers definitely going out to this man's family and to your team.

xjarcher

On the mound
Prayers to all involved. We should all have black arm bands/ribbons/eyeblock stripes in our next games. Shock losses like this are terrible for the friends/families, those who live near go help them please. They will need all kinds of things.

olie20

The Veteran
Saw a guy get killed playing 3B. He dove for a ball, it took a ridiculously weird hop and hit him in the side of the head causing him to start to seizure. We believed he was still alive when paramedics arrived and took him to the hospital, but later learned he had passed before getting there. Most surreal thing I've ever been a part of playing ball, and something I hope I never have to experience again.

bout 9 yrs ago my best friend was pitching, took a line drive behind his ear. died on the mound

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
This is really terrible to hear...it makes you appreciate what we have, even the things that seem trivial. I can't imagine what his family is going through. Thoughts and prayers sent for them.

rkdgator

Addicted to Softballfans
Had something very similar happen a couple years ago in league. My team is waiting at the bleachers for the game before us to finish. Things are starting to get pretty heated between the two teams on the field and some words are exchanged between innings. A kid is coming out of his dugout and heading out to right field and starts jawing with the other team going into the dugout. As he gets to his position in right he just drops and goes into a full Grand Mal seizure. They took him off in an ambulance but he died later that night. Nobody is sure why it happened but the guy on the other team he was jawing with will never get over it. Obviously there were no evil intentions but that's no gonna bring him back.

Does put things in perspective. Very sorry to hear of this loss.

knuckleballz

Addicted to Softballfans
What a shame.my prayers to his friends and family

bout 9 yrs ago my best friend was pitching, took a line drive behind his ear. died on the mound

I hope all the idiots that think it is ok to use shaved bats and hit at the pitchers head/chest "because he has a glove" in league read this thread. Puts things in perspective. It can be such a fun experience playing this game, you hate to think about people dying from it. My heart goes out to his family.

ns09

Addicted to Softballfans
If I ever saw someone die on the field i'm not sure if i'd still be able to play the game. Might have to hang up the glove.

knooch21

ancient chinese secret
Condolences to his family & I've got 2 words for anyone playing any recreational sport regularly...life insurance.
I guess a guy went down sat in a local tourney of heat exhaustion but you never know. Had a guy get smoked in the back of the head @ home on a cutoff throw from the ss 2 weeks ago in a game I was umping...luckily he's fine. Saw a guy get hit in the head going into 2nd last week...guess he was ok & continued. A few years back @ military worlds pcb a guy on the team we were playing collapsed into a seizure when he hit the of grass,glad we had med folk on our team. Turns out he had some problems w/ sugar & the heat wasn't helping.
The stories are out there every year,hopefully it never happens to you but make sure your family has some security.
And, no I'm not an insurance agent.

BIGPAPA33

ULTRA MEGA
Very sad and prayers to this mans family. I got hit in the temple back when I first started playing sliding into third. Luckly it only knocked me out for a few seconds.

CaseChips

Leather > Composite
I hope all the idiots that think it is ok to use shaved bats and hit at the pitchers head/chest "because he has a glove" in league read this thread. Puts things in perspective. It can be such a fun experience playing this game, you hate to think about people dying from it. My heart goes out to his family.

unfortunately it wont. Cheaters may stop saying stuff like that,( they have a glove, I don't shoot middle with a shaved bat, blah blah blah), but they don't stop cheating.

Crankmaster

Star Player
Sucks to hear this especially when playing a sport we all love may god bless his family through this tough time. Prayers to his family and his teamates.

Wow. Prayers to all involved.

When it's my time to go, I wouldn't mind it being on the ballfield, except for the fact that it would affect the other people out there.

Brewzer

NW Vinci Rep
I'd rather see a million and one "what is the best bat for..." threads then one of these threads. :(

Raz9396

Addicted to Softballfans
ya...............terrible, my prayers go out to the family..........thank God that his family wasn't there to see it tho...........especially the kids.......... Did they check the bat??

GuruSoftball

a.k.a. SeniorSoftballGuru
This is so sad and final. Let this be a lesson to all of us, that we need to get our life right because there will be a day when our heart beats for the last time and we have no idea when it will be. Get things right between you and family and friends, it may be your last chance. Pray for forgiveness from your sins daily and recognize who is truly in charge. If things arent right with someone or with God, today might be your last chance.