Dumb Ump Tosses Bat and Breaks It!

ryanclink

goes hard your way catch
Finally happened - we got an ump that doesn't understand equipment and decided to throw a bat at the net on the backstop to get a ball loose.

The bat owner - seeing the ump standing with the bat and lining up the shot - says "DON'T THROW MY BAT" and the ump tosses it anyway (about 45'). Goes up- misses the net and hits the backstop hard... then hits awkwardly on the ground. Needless to say the endcap didn't survive on the broken-in Easton with around a few thousand hits on it.

I wonder if the L.D. will buy him a bat on that one?:wtf2:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Finally happened - we got an ump that doesn't understand equipment and decided to throw a bat at the net on the backstop to get a ball loose.

The bat owner - seeing the ump standing with the bat and lining up the shot - says "DON'T THROW MY BAT" and the ump tosses it anyway (about 45'). Goes up- misses the net and hits the backstop hard... then hits awkwardly on the ground. Needless to say the endcap didn't survive on the broken-in Easton with around a few thousand hits on it.

I wonder if the L.D. will buy him a bat on that one?:wtf2:

Not that I condone the umpire's actions (I tell umpires to let the teams handle bats, and if I happen to pick one up, I never throw it, I hand it to someone), but it seems a bit odd that one toss breaks an end cap. The bat had a few thousand hits? Might've been ready to break open anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i can see that happening pretty easily. just has to land on the wrong thing or on the right spot. i'd be fired up

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
Not that I condone the umpire's actions (I tell umpires to let the teams handle bats, and if I happen to pick one up, I never throw it, I hand it to someone), but it seems a bit odd that one toss breaks an end cap. The bat had a few thousand hits? Might've been ready to break open anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

You maybe right, but it still broke due to his actions.

skew12

45'??? That's a bit higher than the Green Monster in Boston. If that's true, I can believe that end cap broke.

blackbeasst

Addicted to Softballfans
45'??? That's a bit higher than the Green Monster in Boston. If that's true, I can believe that end cap broke.

first thing that i thought of! chucking even a 26oz bat 45 feet up in the air is quite a feat! who the hell has a 45 foot tall backstop :wtf2:

SoCalPlr

Addicted to Softballfans
It was my bat, Easton SY98. Umpire literally threw it 35-45' feet straight up into the air and it landed directly on endcap on a concrete drainage curb. Broke the end cap and cracked the bat. Any bat would break with that amount of force, brand new or used. Inconceivable action by him.

skew12

first thing that i thought of! chucking even a 26oz bat 45 feet up in the air is quite a feat! who the hell has a 45 foot tall backstop :wtf2:

No kidding. I'd like to see this setup.

It was my bat, Easton SY98. Umpire literally threw it 35-45' feet straight up into the air and it landed directly on endcap on a concrete drainage curb. Broke the end cap and cracked the bat. Any bat would break with that amount of force, brand new or used. Inconceivable action by him.

That's some BS dude. Hopefully they replace it. Good luck.

SoCalPlr

Addicted to Softballfans
The umpire didn't even flinch or apologize. I emailed the city league director and he responded saying its between me and the umpire. Definitely going up the ladder on this one as the umpire is oblivious to personal property rights.

ball go far

Addicted to Softballfans
i stopped sliding bats along ground when i slid a red knob dc-41 and the knob come off
i let the team grab or i just hand to them

Dan411

Star Player
We had an umpire use a player's bat to re-mark the batter's box after said player obliterated it when he stepped in the box. First game of the night, dude steps in and scuffs out the chalk lines with his foot. Blue took the bat and used the end cap and knob to draw the lines in.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The umpire didn't even flinch or apologize. I emailed the city league director and he responded saying its between me and the umpire. Definitely going up the ladder on this one as the umpire is oblivious to personal property rights.

That is absolutely incorrect. If an employee takes your property and damages it like this, you do not have to go after the individual employee. I can see the city, the park owner if it's privately owned, and possibly even the association being responsible to an extent in this case. I'm sure they're hoping you just drop it because lawyers are expensive.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
That is absolutely incorrect. If an employee takes your property and damages it like this, you do not have to go after the individual employee. I can see the city, the park owner if it's privately owned, and possibly even the association being responsible to an extent in this case. I'm sure they're hoping you just drop it because lawyers are expensive.

Many umpires are subcontractors. I'm no lawyer, but if you were to take everyone to small claims court AND IF they sided with the plaintiff, they'd likely put it all on the umpire, not the league/town.

Talk with the umpire, give him the chance to at least apologize if not make it right. If that's not enough for you, then take him to small claims. Your mileage may vary.

SoCalPlr

Addicted to Softballfans
Agreed. Had he apologized and realized it was a total bonehead move I would be over it. I'm only pursing reimbursement due to his lack of respect and acknowledgment. I have 10 witnesses who will sign affidavits if it's necessary to file in small claims court.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Agreed. Had he apologized and realized it was a total bonehead move I would be over it. I'm only pursing reimbursement due to his lack of respect and acknowledgment. I have 10 witnesses who will sign affidavits if it's necessary to file in small claims court.

Why didn't he throw another ball up there?! Easier to aim, less costly to replace.

csk415

Addicted to Softballfans
Why didn't he throw another ball up there?! Easier to aim, less costly to replace.

Why worry about 1 ball during play. Leave it. Toss in another one and retrieve after the game. You hit it there so get it yourself after game.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Why worry about 1 ball during play. Leave it. Toss in another one and retrieve after the game. You hit it there so get it yourself after game.

You wouldn't believe the lengths to which some LDs and TDs can be total ball Nazis to us. You'd think these balls were made of gold.

csk415

Addicted to Softballfans
You wouldn't believe the lengths to which some LDs and TDs can be total ball Nazis to us. You'd think these balls were made of gold.

We have to supply our on balls around here for league and tournaments. Guess I didn't realize that they were supplied to them.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm no lawyer either, but I don't think a subcontractor completely absolves them, and I don't think their answer of "take it up with him" is appropriate either.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
I shake my head more at umpires than anything else. Wow, just wow...
I had an ump the other day, pitcher is just about to release pitch. Batter steps out of the box. Umpire says nothing, ball lands right behind the plate. I said "strike". He says "nope, he stepped out of the box" I said "that's not how it works". He said "yes it is". I just smh.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans

I had a little league coach who always said "balls are like gold". It's always stuck with me, I'm always trying to get the balls after the games.