Fielding mask 8u

ibsturbin

Addicted to Softballfans
What mask are available that are not too heavy with good vision. My girl plays infield. I've only seen the rip it mask one but haven't had a chance to try in the store.

bruiser

Co-ed Rec league bat boy
My DD that plays SS has a worth plastic one that is decent and skills makes a plastic one also. I plan on getting the rip it for this year though since she is moving up to 10u and one model comes with a removable sun visor.

300exbat

Addicted to Softballfans
Rip-it makes the best imo; nothing in the way as far as view and they are pretty tough. I witnessed one save a 3rd baseman's face from a line-drive at 12U, knocked her to the ground.

vdubya

Addicted to Softballfans
Pricey, but the Schutt titanium is tops. We have had rip it also and they are very good.

rain

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with Vdubya. ..Schutt titanium is DD'S favorite but it does cost the most. We have both and she always grabs the Schutt.

bruiser

Co-ed Rec league bat boy
Does the Schutt have a sun visor? My DD that plays IF wears glasses so it's kinda important for her.

vdubya

Addicted to Softballfans
Does the Schutt have a sun visor? My DD that plays IF wears glasses so it's kinda important for her.

Talk to Adam. I am sending him a Schutt tomorrow, so he should have the pattern/design within a few days...

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1390489

FWIW, the visor/bill on the rip-it is cheesy, useless, and looks stupid. It does not do the job at all so I would forego that option if you get the rip-it, which is otherwise VG.

bruiser

Co-ed Rec league bat boy
Good to know. I saw that thread yesterday pretty cool idea might have to go that route. Definitely post some pics of it here when you get it back.

bruiser

Co-ed Rec league bat boy
How much weight difference is there between the normal Schutt and the titanium one? Getting ready to order one and send it to Adam but there is a $30 difference between the masks. Is the titanium really worth the extra cash?

vdubya

Addicted to Softballfans
How much weight difference is there between the normal Schutt and the titanium one? Getting ready to order one and send it to Adam but there is a $30 difference between the masks. Is the titanium really worth the extra cash?

Not exactly sure, but my guess is "not much difference."

I can say that while the titanium is actually lighter, my kid never mentioned the "lightness" nor did she ever claim that any of our previous faceguards (rip-it, gameface) were heavy in the least.

The guards are all so light that there is no advantage/disadvantage to any of them with respect to weight IMO.

VW
PS: Adam did a great job on the Schutt. I'll get some pics tonight.

bruiser

Co-ed Rec league bat boy
He PMd them to me already and it did turn out good. I would like to do the silver mirror but am worried that umps might say something about the reflection. What do you think? Had a few complain about their batting helmets when they played rec league. I didn't even try it in travel.
IMG_20130425_201319_661_zpsegzub39j.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

vdubya

Addicted to Softballfans
I would like to do the silver mirror but am worried that umps might say something about the reflection. What do you think? Had a few complain about their batting helmets when they played rec league. I didn't even try it in travel.

I really like the silver mirrored one, but same concern here. I went with the dark smoke...was a little worried that it would be too dark but I'm glad I went with it now that I can actually hold and look thru it.

Sweet hawks!

dford42

Addicted to Softballfans
well when can the rest of us see them? My DD hates the visor on the rip it and I don't like the idea of cheap sunglasses.

dford42

Addicted to Softballfans
Is it only attached in three spots? That's all I can see on the pics. Is there potential for the locking portion of the zip tie to move to the "inside" portion of the mask? Thanks for the pics!

bruiser

Co-ed Rec league bat boy
I'm not sure on the zip ties. Just sent him a schutt to do I'll let you know when I get it back if vdubya doesn't first. If the zip ties do end up being a problem there are low profile zip ties.

vdubya

Addicted to Softballfans
Is it only attached in three spots? That's all I can see on the pics. Is there potential for the locking portion of the zip tie to move to the "inside" portion of the mask? Thanks for the pics!

Yes, three zips and it is very solidly attached. It helps that the lexan or whatever is thick enough to be sturdy without much flex. The zip tie buckles are on the inside. It would be very easy to add a couple more zip ties if needed, but at this point I see no need for more.

Adam is great to deal with and the turn around was super fast once I got the Schutt shipped out. I would think that since he has the pattern for the Schutt titanium now he could just ship them out when ordered. Give him a shout.

Last edited:

rimmedup91z28

Star Player
Thanks for the kind words vdubya (jay). I have spoke with bruiser and he is sending his schutt mask to be done as well. Any more questions, send me a pm. I'm willing to do any mask. I have some pics of the masks I've done on my thread in the other equipment section.