Fly balls - two hands or just your glove?

Softball.com:

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
I was taught to put your throwing hand behind the pocket and squeeze the ball when you feel it hit. I see everyone doing it a different way and I can't do that. I fell more comfortable and confident using one hand. I don't have balls coming out of my glove. If anything I just miss them completely, but that is more my eyesight than anything else.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
OK, first off, I will state that I am an infielder that uses 2 hands to catch popups, that is the way that I learned as a kid, and that is how my brain still tells me to catch a popup....

That said, what advantage does that second hand actually provide? If I am not mistaken, the only hand that actually touches the ball is the glove hand, no? That second hand might help a little kid with a glove that is too heavy or stiff, but for an adult, that second hand on the outside of the glove never touching the ball probably has little to no effect on whether you catch the ball or not.

DSNuts48

Badass
Actually, in the MLB they teach you NOT to use two hands. True story brahs!! Detroit rookie Brennan Boesch had an interview about his defense and said that they were teaching him not to use two hands, the less distraction the better,

Eh, I find this hard to believe.

One hand and don't drop fly balls. This is not little league, it you have been playing outfield your whole life, I don't see why you would flub it anyway.
Just have your throwing hand in position and ready. By the way, the behind the back catch is quite simple, just takes a little practice. Would never do it in a game though. That is one of those no win situations. You do it and catch it, you look like a bone head. You do it and miss it, you are a bonehead.

REC LEAGUE HERO

At the MLB level, there is little teaching for the most part when it comes to defense in the OF. IJS

:rolleyes: Imagine at that point it's all talent, but :rolleyes:

How would you know this?? Which team did you play for, so I can look up your stats? Thanks.

On MLB2k10 I came straight from AA to the Majors just before post season, first AB was a double shot homerun, helped clench the playoff berth and win the world series with a .567 BA.

OK, first off, I will state that I am an infielder that uses 2 hands to catch popups, that is the way that I learned as a kid, and that is how my brain still tells me to catch a popup....

That said, what advantage does that second hand actually provide? If I am not mistaken, the only hand that actually touches the ball is the glove hand, no? That second hand might help a little kid with a glove that is too heavy or stiff, but for an adult, that second hand on the outside of the glove never touching the ball probably has little to no effect on whether you catch the ball or not.

I put my hand outside the pocket and on the edge of the glove, so that the ball doesn't ricochet out if I don't close it in time. I only do this on moon shots.

People that don't use 2 hands will learn.
:rolleyes: I doubt it

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I use my bear hand unless its a hard line drive

Is this your bear hand???
images

The second hand is there to help secure the ball in case you don't catch it cleanly and speed up the transfer process........If you all are too dumb to know or recognize that...............................YOU CAN'T BE HELPED.

ETrain33

Have never used 2 hands, and know ALOT of good outfielders that don't either...I know 2 hands is what is taught while growing up, but always felt uncomfortable to me.

cntrain

Use two hands, because you look like a tool if you drop it with one. If you drop it with two, you're only excuse is that you suck.

And if you have two hands to catch a ball with, why not use both of them? That's like saying only look at one boob.

My glove is only designed for one hand :confused:and that is all I use to catch with.:D Ironically, I feel less confident using 2 hands. Do you catch line drives with 2 hands too?:eek:

chief1B

Addicted to Softballfans
Actually, in the MLB they teach you NOT to use two hands. True story brahs!! Detroit rookie Brennan Boesch had an interview about his defense and said that they were teaching him not to use two hands, the less distraction the better,

that could explain some of the Tigers issues

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
My glove is only designed for one hand :confused:and that is all I use to catch with.:D Ironically, I feel less confident using 2 hands. Do you catch line drives with 2 hands too?:eek:

When I can and they're above my waste.........Yes......Yes, I do.

vlcmstn_az

Manager
Being an IF, if I'm tracking something over my shoulder, I try for 2 hands, but normally end up catching it with one. If it's right to or in front of me, I use 2 every time.

I play infield as well and always try to get two hands up for a catch. There usually isn't as much time to get two up, but my natural reaction is both hands going towards the ball.

BigShep

Who's Your Daddy!
One hand and don't drop fly balls. This is not little league, ...
In the outfield, two hands will bring your glove in front of your face ... not the place you want it ... it can obscure the last few feet of the ball's travel. Instead, park your glove on your shoulder and see it all the way.

Hazate

Composite bat hater....
Anybody on here saying that catching flyballs with two hands is wrong...or saying catch the ball on your shoulder or catch with one hand..I guarantee you is not a good outfielder...and you can flame away...because you know crap about ball or defence.

Two hands...it is a fundamental skill...if it blocks your vision you suck...if you have to take extra time getting the glove and ball to your throwing hand you suck...and I guarantee you drop balls with one hand...Why? because you never learned how to catch a fly ball properly.