For you guys that yell at umpires...

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
If you pop up swinging at a pitch over your head or hit a one hopper to a middle infielder with a runner on first, how is that an umpires fault?

Because the umpire called a borderline pitch a strike on 3-1 it "made" him swing at the next pitch. It's not like umpires don't mess up a strike call or two. It would be like assuming because the shortstop booted the first ball, he will boot every ball hit to him the rest of the game.

One more thing to think about when you see these idiots throwing temper tantrums at the umpires, maybe the good umpires stopped umpiring because it wasn't worth $20 to get yelled at like that, so you get left with the crappy ones who are willing to take that abuse.

thaynes

I would like to see an up critique the play of a game from behind the plate.

After each error just go on some tirade about how terrible the players are on this field, say things like

"anybody with an ounce of athletic ability should be able to make that play"

"Only a beeing idiot or retard would have made that terrible of a throw"

"I can't believe how I'm wasting my time umpiring this game because it won't matter what call I make, we are losers after watching this game"

etc, etc.

Are we being payed to play? Or are we paying them to do a somewhat decent job? Lmk cuz your comparison is moronic and over used

thaynes

Because the umpire called a borderline pitch a strike on 3-1 it "made" him swing at the next pitch. It's not like umpires don't mess up a strike call or two. It would be like assuming because the shortstop booted the first ball, he will boot every ball hit to him the rest of the game.

One more thing to think about when you see these idiots throwing temper tantrums at the umpires, maybe the good umpires stopped umpiring because it wasn't worth $20 to get yelled at like that, so you get left with the crappy ones who are willing to take that abuse.

Anybody that throws a tantrum about it is a fool. However 20+ dollars an hour is nothing to scoff at and makes them open to complaint if they consistently suck. Most of them just dont care though or are to pridefull

thaynes

Youre also comparing a non physical action to an action that requires coordination and physical talent so that comparison doesnt match either

Eyecandy

Star Player
I don't think it is EVER appropriate to yell and curse at an umpire. I think anyone that does should be IMMEDIATELY tossed, AND suspended from ANY league play for a season. I also feel the same way about professional ball.
IMO, a bad call here and there is going to happen. When we as players are perfect, then expect the umpire to be.
However, if a particular ump is consistently bad, it needs to be brought to the attention of the LD and head ump. And if nothing is done vote with your $. Don't go back.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Im surprised a lot more guys don't get chucked! Figure Blues build up a thick skin cause there are a lot of friggin cry babies out there...

thaynes

I don't think it is EVER appropriate to yell and curse at an umpire. I think anyone that does should be IMMEDIATELY tossed, AND suspended from ANY league play for a season. I also feel the same way about professional ball.
IMO, a bad call here and there is going to happen. When we as players are perfect, then expect the umpire to be.
However, if a particular ump is consistently bad, it needs to be brought to the attention of the LD and head ump. And if nothing is done vote with your $. Don't go back.

Little over board dont you think? Id have no problem with tossing them but suspending for a season is a little much. Again you also cant compare a job that requires physical skill and coordination to a job where theres clear cut calls. Again we pay the umps so we have the right to be upset and expect them to be right more often than not. Also suggesting they dont play is kinda foolish to because, at least around here, you dont have much choice in association and most umps actually cross associate. Not playing at all isnt realistic either. Being upset about a particular call or calls doesnt really out weigh the fun of playing unless youre just to wound up

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
I think these cry babies who always complain about the umps should switch places with them and try umpiring a few games. Maybe if they see it's not as easy as they think, they won't complain so much.

thaynes

Ive done it its not that hard. Most of the time pride is what gets in the way. If you blow a call theres nothing wrong with a player telling you, youre not the end all be all authority. Thatd said there is a right way to say that the ump was wrong. I have a problem with those that cant admit they were wrong or smart mouth the players them selves. I had a pitch thrown way flat steped out and simply asked if the pitch was a little flat without being a smart alec or giving him a retarded look and his response was " man get back in the box" thats also not the right way to handle it so its not just players that have the problem

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Little over board dont you think? Id have no problem with tossing them but suspending for a season is a little much. Again you also cant compare a job that requires physical skill and coordination to a job where theres clear cut calls. Again we pay the umps so we have the right to be upset and expect them to be right more often than not. Also suggesting they dont play is kinda foolish to because, at least around here, you dont have much choice in association and most umps actually cross associate. Not playing at all isnt realistic either. Being upset about a particular call or calls doesnt really out weigh the fun of playing unless youre just to wound up

We aren't really saying softball players have physical skill and coordination are we? Seriously? Maybe at the Major and upper levels. I've played a lot of "E" ball and some "D" all around SoCal and I laugh every tournament. There are guys playing softball (some of them decent hitters) who look like they would get tired going through the McDonalds drive-thru. I have thought about taking pictures of some of the "athletes" I see playing on weekends. Only in softball would a guy who weighs 300+ pounds and is begging for someone to run the other 200 feet of the bases before he even gets to first be compared to an athlete.

The average softball player is not what I would call an athlete. I still say all the whiny babies make most of the decent umpires quit and the ones who don't quit get really jaded like Irish. He almost seems to hate the players he umpires for. Good umpire, knows the rules and he doesn't put up with half the babies that most league umpires do because he does a lot of high level ball.

Part of the problem is a lot of players feel like they are "entitled" to yell at the guy because he gets paid $20. Here's a thought. Act like you've played ball before. You aren't going to agree with every strike or out call. Stepping out and asking whether a pitch was too low is questioning the strike zone. Fine, you question the strike zone. First of all, if it was low, he would have called it a ball not a strike (in his judgment). Secondly, when you get 22 people all questioning every call that doesn't go your way, every strike, it gets really old.

I'm definitely not saying there aren't some horrible umpires. Bitching them out and whining about every call doesn't fix them, talking to the LD does.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Ive done it its not that hard. Most of the time pride is what gets in the way. If you blow a call theres nothing wrong with a player telling you, youre not the end all be all authority. Thatd said there is a right way to say that the ump was wrong. I have a problem with those that cant admit they were wrong or smart mouth the players them selves. I had a pitch thrown way flat steped out and simply asked if the pitch was a little flat without being a smart alec or giving him a retarded look and his response was " man get back in the box" thats also not the right way to handle it so its not just players that have the problem

Its all how you tell the blue. I coached little league for many years and learned to just let blue know in a friendly manner without everyone hearing that make up calls balances the world out haha and it works on softball fields too....cause its the best you're gonna get!

thaynes

Most of the guys I play with are pretty good athletes but we also play in the tops of tops in de, like spackler said make up calls correct everything imo. Kinda like how baseball polices itself with hit batters and such. That said sometimes the umps need to know they blew the call.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Most of the guys I play with are pretty good athletes but we also play in the tops of tops in de, like spackler said make up calls correct everything imo. Kinda like how baseball polices itself with hit batters and such. That said sometimes the umps need to know they blew the call.

People who believe in make up calls also believe in the tooth fairy or are playing around really crappy umpires. No umpire worth a **** will give you a "make-up" call. There's no such thing. An out in the sixth inning may not equal an out in the second. Giving you an extra out on a blown call may result in no runs anyway. When I give the other team their make-up call they may score 20 that inning off that extra run. Was that a fair make-up? I would never compromise my integrity. I blow a call, I blow. I live with it, you live with it. Umpires blow calls. They do it at the major league level after years of training and working the minor leagues. It happens and honestly when umpires suck, in my experience the blown calls usually seem to even out. They aren't cheating, they are just bad so the bad calls seem to even out.

Someone said it earlier, all you can ask is they know the rules, hustle to get in position and try to stay consistent. A lot of the problem originates at the LD and TD level. They don't require umpires to have a current certification and go to clinics. They schedule them for 8 games in a row working one man mechanics. You try hustling out there every call for 8 games and let me know how that goes for you. Even 3 games in a row if you are really hustling on plays is a lot of moving.

Umpires are an easy target because its easy to blame them for your mistakes. I had a bad at bat because he called a strike on me. He missed a call and we lost. If you really are playing at the highest level and running into umpires that are that bad, I'm glad I don't play in Delaware. There are always a few lazy or bad umpires, but you figure out who they are and know what you are getting before you start. Complain to the TD about the bad ones or play a different association. The problem is most TD's have a limited number of umpires to choose from, so you can complain but guess who you'll see the next tourney? The blind, lazy guy. You can change associations but his brother umps there, just wearing a different color shirt. :D

Yelling at umpires is tasteless, immature, shows extreme lack of discipline, some calls are out of control, there are plenty ways to express your self without cursing at a guy who is honestly for the most part giving it his best like everyone else on the field, and is human. They will never change the call and say your right guy, im sorry. I just dont do it for me. Im not that guy. Dont be neither.

doubles

Addicted to Softballfans
It blows my mind when when people scream at the umpire. I can't stand it when anyone on my team does it cause as the pitcher it doesn't help. I know the umps on here will say they always call it right down the middle but if you guys mouthing off about a call or my personal favorite balls and strikes from the outfield its hard to let the close one go to the teamm the is flappin their gums.

I'll be the first to tell you. You start arguing or flipping out over balls n strikes. It's only going to get worse for you.

I would like to see an up critique the play of a game from behind the plate.

After each error just go on some tirade about how terrible the players are on this field, say things like

"anybody with an ounce of athletic ability should be able to make that play"

"Only a beeing idiot or retard would have made that terrible of a throw"

"I can't believe how I'm wasting my time umpiring this game because it won't matter what call I make, we are losers after watching this game"

etc, etc.

This is a novel idea

I think these cry babies who always complain about the umps should switch places with them and try umpiring a few games. Maybe if they see it's not as easy as they think, they won't complain so much.

Yes.

Its all how you tell the blue. I coached little league for many years and learned to just let blue know in a friendly manner without everyone hearing that make up calls balances the world out haha and it works on softball fields too....cause its the best you're gonna get!

Don't ever "tell" the blue anything. Phrase everything as a question and you'll be fine.

As umps, we know if we "blew" a call, we don't need YOU to tell us. I'll make it up, unless you ***** about it. Then I won't feel the need to.

Yelling at umpires is tasteless, immature, shows extreme lack of discipline, some calls are out of control, there are plenty ways to express your self without cursing at a guy who is honestly for the most part giving it his best like everyone else on the field, and is human. They will never change the call and say your right guy, im sorry. I just dont do it for me. Im not that guy. Dont be neither.

:thumb:

deKilla

Coach
Had a ump tonight and I was talking to him before the game and he tells me he disqualified a entire team this summer. He tells me they were in the parking lot and got to the diamond 4 minutes before the start, he says rules say you must be their 6 minutes before :D During my game, one of players put his glove on the post to the dugout entrance which is about 50'-60' from home plate. Ump yells down and tells us to take the glove off the post. lol

bdauzy

Coach
IMO the only time an umpire should be yelled at is if he's not in the right position to make the call. As an umpire myself, I try not to yell at other umps. If the ump is in the right position and blows the call I'm ok with that. It's when umpires don't get out from behind home plate to make a call at second that I get upset with. Unfortunately the majority of the umps where I play at dont know the proper positioning to make a good call.

thaynes

So if im in the right spot to make a call and I completely blow it thats ok? You just must not care if you lose. I guess thats not a bad thing

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
I might make the transition from player to umpire in the offseason. I've been a referee in adult flag football leagues - which get way more intense than softball. One thing I would do before the game, is call both TEAMS, not just the captains, over before the coin flip, and ask them if this is the NFL.

When they said no I would say, "Exactly, you aren't getting paid what NFL players get paid, and I don't get paid what NFL refs get paid. If we were, we'd all be on TV. You guys are going to bust your ass, and I am going to do the same to get all the calls right. But. there are 16 of you, and 2 of us. I will miss a hold, or an illegal block, or something. It will absolutely happen, we can't see everything on every play with sixteen guys and four eyes, and we don't have instant replay. Half of you will agree, and half of you will disagree with any close call I make. Your quarterback isn't going to make every completion, your running back isn't going to score a TD on every play, and your receivers aren't going to catch every ball thrown at them. When you guys can do that every game, you can ***** about the calls. I don't care who wins or loses. I'm not playing favorites. You're here to have fun. So have fun."

I never had any issues, even from the teams that were notorious for complaining on every call with other refs, and a lot of them would say they were glad they got me as a referee for their game. If I do make the transition to umpire in the offseason, I will have a probably have similar approach pregame.

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
Again it's amateur softball on both ends so don't act like you're a professional athlete. Regardless if they are getting paid we all know they practice less than the players.

So it's moronic and naive to expect more from them.

Ill still bust their balls but going into a tantrum or expecting MLB quality officiating...come on man

Artie

basic famous
technically they are paid and trained as umpires, so they are professionals.
Had an ump at a tournament this weekend who was so proud and stubborn he got into an argument with the TD over the rules. Overall did a nice job, but at least know the rules when you step on the field, and if you don't, don't argue with your boss who made the rules about it.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Maturity takes some men much longer to reach then others.

If, in your opinion, the umpire made a bad call, then take the next call out of his hands by not making it close. If the umpire gets a rule wrong, protest. Don't argue, protest!

i wont listen to a post regarding maturity from a dude named "beernbombs". :shocked:

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
technically they are paid and trained as umpires, so they are professionals.
Had an ump at a tournament this weekend who was so proud and stubborn he got into an argument with the TD over the rules. Overall did a nice job, but at least know the rules when you step on the field, and if you don't, don't argue with your boss who made the rules about it.

Uh I disagree 100%...maybe they took a test and passed to ump some games but that doesn't mean they are professionals. And just because they get paid to do a job doesn't make them professionals in that field.

If you are not making a living supporting your family and paying your bills as an umpire you are not a professional.

We all know 99% of the umps do it as some pocket money for the weekend or they enjoy the game like we do. Assuming anything else is a mistake on your part and you set yourself up for disappointment.

ie...little Timmy flipping fries at McDonalds watched a DVD on fry cooking and gets paid but that doesn't mean he's a "Professional 5 Star Chef"...get my point.

LC77

Manager
Saying "I respectfully disagree with your decision" helps. You will not change that call, but you will probably get the next close one. Plus it sounds good when you yell it.

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
key word is utrip. utrip pitchers think they are something cause they can wiggle around like they've been tased all before delivering a slow pitch softball.