Help my swing

KYsoftballer76

Joshua 24:15
OK, after the last posting on my swing, i've taken some thing that was mentioned and tried to apply them. I still have a lot wrong, so I feel, so i'm asking again for more criticism.

Things to get out of the way first:
BP pitcher: Get a better one (check)
Get a tan on my legs: I always wear pants, I don't plan on sunbathing anytime soon.
Hit the weight room: Maybe one day when I have some free time, and money.
Legs (again): Yes I know they look like chicken legs, the chick in rode in on is in the dugout resting for the ride back home.

Round 1:

Round 2:

Last edited by a moderator:

estreet

Addicted to Softballfans
i think you could hit against your front leg more and bring your backside through better. when you did that you hit the ball much better. IMO. other than that you are gtg.

KYsoftballer76

i think you could hit against your front leg more and bring your backside through better. when you did that you hit the ball much better. IMO. other than that you are gtg.

weight transfer is bad? is that what you're saying?

just want to make sure i understand you correctly.

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
Oh wow....so much.

1. Stop swinging at crap. Let it fall
2................retool your whole swing.

estreet

Addicted to Softballfans
weight transfer is bad? is that what you're saying?

just want to make sure i understand you correctly.

no, weight transfer is the only way to hit a softball. ur front side flies open and you never get the full power from your lower half. dont let that left foot fly open. you gotta hit against it.

bomboi

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm no expert but I did the same thing with my front leg/side what helped me is starting with both my feet together and striding toward the pitcher with my front leg ...it helped my balance too. I noticed u may want to compact ur swing a lil try keeping ur back elbow close to ur body while swinging ... Again I'm no expert just saying what helped me

DegoGiantsFan48

Addicted to Softballfans
Might want to keep your hands a little lower, if your pitcher was better you'd probably have a better outcome. Swing harder!

jwebb52

You are getting off balance it looks like to me. I agree with the guy saying start with your legs together and step towards the pitcher. This should increase your power and balance.

pxy23

Lets Go Pens!
1. Get a good pitcher
2. You start to swing the second the ball leaves the pitchers hand. Just wait on it. You're swinging so early
3. Look at the #2 video before it starts...Why are you so low? Stand up and hit the ball around stomach to shoulder level. You're not going to get any power crouching down and swinging.

jstrong

They love to hate me
Whats the weight on that bat? I think its too heavy for you. Try a 26 because it looks like your not even trying to swing through the ball.

KYsoftballer76

no, weight transfer is the only way to hit a softball. ur front side flies open and you never get the full power from your lower half. dont let that left foot fly open. you gotta hit against it.

You're saying to basically have the toe of my shoe on my front leg point more towards 1b instead or towards the pitcher? Gotcha

I'm no expert but I did the same thing with my front leg/side what helped me is starting with both my feet together and striding toward the pitcher with my front leg ...it helped my balance too. I noticed u may want to compact ur swing a lil try keeping ur back elbow close to ur body while swinging ... Again I'm no expert just saying what helped me

You are getting off balance it looks like to me. I agree with the guy saying start with your legs together and step towards the pitcher. This should increase your power and balance.

I do feel like i'm off balance a lot. Will try to 'compact' my swing a little more.

1. Get a good pitcher
2. You start to swing the second the ball leaves the pitchers hand. Just wait on it. You're swinging so early
3. Look at the #2 video before it starts...Why are you so low? Stand up and hit the ball around stomach to shoulder level. You're not going to get any power crouching down and swinging.

1)Check
2)Will try to do that. I know I get anxious.
3)I actually feel like I get better power when I hit the balls that are lower. But, I will try to move up in the box and see what happens.

Whats the weight on that bat? I think its too heavy for you. Try a 26 because it looks like your not even trying to swing through the ball.

The white bat is a 27oz FL Derby Boys. Not very much endload, actually swings light.
The darker bat is a 27oz FL Gear Supremacy Reload. The endload is very noticable.

Oh wow....so much.

1. Stop swinging at crap. Let it fall
2................retool your whole swing.

1)I actually don't swing at every pitch during the games. You can ask Miken-MV1 and he'll tell you that I actually usually lead the team and league in walks. I'm very picky when it comes to game swings.
2)Any tips, advice ?

Steve Butler

Addicted to Softballfans
in pic of 2nd vid your left shoulder is pointing at 3rd base this means you are opening up to soon

front shoulder should point at pitcher then be forced around as your swing comes through.

come to Texas for a sweltering summer day and we will fix you right up:)

MorganGrafixx

Extra Hitter
To start, I want to say that I coach 3 kids teams, so I apologize if I sound like I'm going through simple basics a lot. After watching both videos, I can say with certainty that your swing is garbage. LOL, just messin' with ya.
Seriously though, first things first. Your "ready position". It looks like you need a chair and a beer. Come on man! Your about to hit...you need to look like it. Get that bat back and up. Speaking of "getting it up"....your back elbow.....what did you think I was talking about?!

The swing. Your bat needs to have a level plane to it. Folks who try to kill the ball usually fail and usually have an upward motion to their swing. Also they usually are off balance too.

Weight transfer. If you can transfer your weight, do so, but it should be a fluid motion that begins the hip rotation. Feet close...smooth step forward (toe to 1B)....hip rotation...shoulder rotation...hands through the zone...grip through the zone...barrel through the zone...barrel, handle, front arm align at point of impact....barrel passes in front of hands and pulls the hands, shoulders and hips through to finish. ALL ONE FLUID MOTION.

If you were one of my little guys/girls, I'd start by having you swing from your knees to take the lower body out of it totally. This way you can get a feel for just the upper body motions. Try to think of casting a fishing rod side-arm style. So that everything is straight at the point of impact. Once the upper body part feels right, then take away the upper body by crossing your arms (like you would if you were waiting in line for something) and just do the smooth forward step and hip turn. Then after that gets comfortable, put them both together.

The most important thing is that your swing is FLUID. If you are off balance after, during, before the swing, 99.9999% of the time it is because you are trying to muscle the bat through the zone. Get the swing timing down first, then add more power little by little so long as you can maintain the fluid control and balance.

Almost forgot....your front foot should be WELDED to the ground after your step. Your back foot should be on it's toe and "squashing the bug", meaning staying in the same spot, but rotating as if you were squashing a roach.

Last edited:

MorganGrafixx

Extra Hitter
As far as I'm concerned the greatest batsman ever to wield timber was Ken Griffey Jr. If ever there was a perfect swing, it was his. Try hunting down some youtube videos of his swing....he NEVER muscles the bat through the zone. He never falls off-balance after his swing. He never looks like he trying to kill it. Just a smooth technically fluid swing......and he crushes it.

MorganGrafixx

Extra Hitter
This
is exactly what i'm talking about. Perfect explaination....wish I'd have found this before I typed out all that earlier stuff. LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:

KYsoftballer76

To start, I want to say that I coach 3 kids teams, so I apologize if I sound like I'm going through simple basics a lot. After watching both videos, I can say with certainty that your swing is garbage. LOL, just messin' with ya.
Seriously though, first things first. Your "ready position". It looks like you need a chair and a beer. Come on man! Your about to hit...you need to look like it. Get that bat back and up. Speaking of "getting it up"....your back elbow.....what did you think I was talking about?!

The swing. Your bat needs to have a level plane to it. Folks who try to kill the ball usually fail and usually have an upward motion to their swing. Also they usually are off balance too.

Weight transfer. If you can transfer your weight, do so, but it should be a fluid motion that begins the hip rotation. Feet close...smooth step forward (toe to 1B)....hip rotation...shoulder rotation...hands through the zone...grip through the zone...barrel through the zone...barrel, handle, front arm align at point of impact....barrel passes in front of hands and pulls the hands, shoulders and hips through to finish. ALL ONE FLUID MOTION.

If you were one of my little guys/girls, I'd start by having you swing from your knees to take the lower body out of it totally. This way you can get a feel for just the upper body motions. Try to think of casting a fishing rod side-arm style. So that everything is straight at the point of impact. Once the upper body part feels right, then take away the upper body by crossing your arms (like you would if you were waiting in line for something) and just do the smooth forward step and hip turn. Then after that gets comfortable, put them both together.

The most important thing is that your swing is FLUID. If you are off balance after, during, before the swing, 99.9999% of the time it is because you are trying to muscle the bat through the zone. Get the swing timing down first, then add more power little by little so long as you can maintain the fluid control and balance.

Almost forgot....your front foot should be WELDED to the ground after your step. Your back foot should be on it's toe and "squashing the bug", meaning staying in the same spot, but rotating as if you were squashing a roach.

Wow....that's a lot to digest. And to think, I just thought I needed some tweaking here and there.

But, that's why I wanted to post and ask for comments. Two (or more) sets of eyes are better then just mine. Wish I could've gotten this information earlier in the off season so I had ample time to correct what's wrong....the entire swing :D

I watched the video of Griffey. And I agree, his swing is/was the sweetest in the majors or anywhere.

MorganGrafixx

Extra Hitter
Wow....that's a lot to digest. And to think, I just thought I needed some tweaking here and there.

But, that's why I wanted to post and ask for comments. Two (or more) sets of eyes are better then just mine. Wish I could've gotten this information earlier in the off season so I had ample time to correct what's wrong....the entire swing :D

I watched the video of Griffey. And I agree, his swing is/was the sweetest in the majors or anywhere.

No need to try to fix everything at once. Go to the cages and work on just one aspect of it. Don't swing and swing and swing trying to see a great improvement in one session. Instead, use just the lower part of your body and let the bat come around on it's own. Then once you are comfortable with that, work on keeping it consistent while adding another tiny change. Before you know it you'll be hitting more sharply and you'll still have a few things you can correct to get it even better.

Think of it like building a drag strip demon. You won't likely be able to overhaul the entire car overnight and go dominate the next weekend. But you can rip apart your intake and replace it with a higher flow. Then next week, rip out your exhaust and replace it with a full cat-back resonator muffler and headers. Maybe the following week you rip out your suspension and add some coil overs and some strut braces. Eventually, you will have a beast, but it will take time and you don't "fix the whole car", you upgrade it piece by piece.