Here she is! Spalding Pro Select

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Is there any discernible difference between the black and grey welding? Is the Leather and build quality the same?

Seemed identical in every way I could tell. The 12.75" (grey welting) laces were a little bit nicer, but pretty thin and plasticy on both.

CountryBoy

Addicted to Softballfans

The web I ordered a little too short and they were out of 1/4" in this color that's why not all the holes are filled

Jomatty

Starting Player
Just got a new 12.75 in for a friend. This is the third one I've bought for friends and team mates. I've hyped these gloves hard. This one is not nearly as nice. The leather is still very nice but the overall construction is not very good. The welding and binding was sewn on very sloppily and the palm is a wrinkly mess. I've dunked it and smoothed it and it helped some. Overall this glove was not nearly as nice as the other spaldings I have had go through my hands. It is still a good value for $80 but I considered the other ones at close to hoh quality and this ones construction came way short. Could just be a random bad glove, I'm not sure. Glove still feels great and will get the job done.

David the Gnome

The Veteran
Just got a new 12.75 in for a friend. This is the third one I've bought for friends and team mates. I've hyped these gloves hard. This one is not nearly as nice. The leather is still very nice but the overall construction is not very good. The welding and binding was sewn on very sloppily and the palm is a wrinkly mess. I've dunked it and smoothed it and it helped some. Overall this glove was not nearly as nice as the other spaldings I have had go through my hands. It is still a good value for $80 but I considered the other ones at close to hoh quality and this ones construction came way short. Could just be a random bad glove, I'm not sure. Glove still feels great and will get the job done.

That was how I felt about my 12.75". It was like it wasn't even the same brand/model from the 12" glove I bought.

Phantomblack

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't know if Spalding switched manufacturing plants, but the quality on these gloves has gone south. I had the Cano and am currently using the catcher's mitt (which I love). The new 12.75" traps I've gotten feel like totally different gloves.

/hype

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I wish there were date codes on the gloves as I cannot figure out if the quality has gone up or down. It does seem like most of the Spaldings we are getting are 1-3 years old.

Joker

both my 1b mitt and 12.75 are in pieces, i don't think i'm going to put them back together

Jomatty

Starting Player
It's a bummer because I talked the glove up a lot but this one isn't in the same league as the last 12.75 I had...

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
both the 1b and 12.75" had the cheap plastic laces
These gloves seem a lot like the old CP2 Vincis, I remember Joker calling the lace plastic. I think its Tawain lace and not bad strength just feels cheaper. It does hold up well. I bought a few off the bay but sell them before I get to try them out. All in all I think a bargin, even at $100 retail.....
Of course it helps that they have a 13" trap :cool:

Jomatty

Starting Player
All that said, as I'm breaking the glove in it feels really good. I can't get the palm and finger wrinkles to go away, and it bothers me aesthetically, but isn't an issue in regards to function. Overall craftsmanship is not nearly as good but the leather is still nice and it does feel great as it's breaking in. When I read a few reviews people posted who were not blown away by them I was kinda confused but now I get it. Weird the difference in quality...

Jomatty

Starting Player
These gloves seem a lot like the old CP2 Vincis, I remember Joker calling the lace plastic. I think its Tawain lace and not bad strength just feels cheaper. It does hold up well. I bought a few off the bay but sell them before I get to try them out. All in all I think a bargin, even at $100 retail.....
Of course it helps that they have a 13" trap :cool:

Yes, these spaldings are still a great deal at $80-100. The ones like I just got though are a definite compromise from hoh or a2000 quality. I felt the first two were right up there...

newram05

Addicted to Softballfans
my 13" has broke in sweet... my 12.75 not so much... however i didnt dunk my 12.75 sooooo not sure if that has a lot to do with it... still happy with my $60 purchase..

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Craftsmanship between the four I have seen has varied and I had one with palm wrinkles. I do like the leather and the 13" open back trap pattern. Its seems it would break in easy,, maybe I will get one ready and game it a little before I move it.

Gators21

Manager
Interesting divergence of opinions. I love everything about my 12.75, especially at $49 + shipping. I like my 1B mitt too, and even though I'm traditionally an open back guy the closed back doesn't bother me at all.

Gators21

Manager
Season starts in a couple of weeks, but have spent a good 2-3 months breaking in the 12.75 and am really happy about how it has come along, , the pocket, etc.

Jomatty

Starting Player
Craftsmanship between the four I have seen has varied and I had one with palm wrinkles. I do like the leather and the 13" open back trap pattern. Its seems it would break in easy,, maybe I will get one ready and game it a little before I move it.

Even the one I have with bad wrinkles and poorly executed stitching feels great. Really nice pattern for softball IMO.

CountryBoy

Addicted to Softballfans
I web swapped a 13" to a single post for sutton17 and that sucker is huge! Long and way freaking deep looks every bit as deep as that H web. I'm probably going to pick one up on the rare occasion I play in the grass.

sutton17

Starting Player
20150422_182347.jpg

Yeah pretty much massive. Love this thing!

newram05

Addicted to Softballfans
Just broke down and dunked my 12.75... Leather feels a Lot better and break in will come along nicely!

Tjc

Star Player
Thinking about picking one of these up. Has anyone else got one recently? I just read through the whole post and there seem to be some what of a fall off in quality. Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks

Gators21

Manager
Do it! A steal at $40-$60 even if you end up with a "fall off in quality" glove. I got mine about 3 months ago and it's great quality.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
At best they are comparable to $200 gloves, at worst (given my read as both I have handled were very nice), $125 gloves. At less than $100, a good to great deal.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
They are defiantly a good deal and the quality is nit really an issue, not gonna make them fall aprt.