Here she is! Spalding Pro Select

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sweet Baby Jesus this thing is stiff.
Just unboxed and started rifling a cannonball into the pocket.

This may take a week or so to get ready ;)

Definitely better than some off brands that I've handled, let's not even mention the price factor :cool:

Gators21

Manager
I just scored a 12.75" for $49.99! There has to be a catch---what's the catch on getting these gloves for such a ridiculous price? !

David the Gnome

The Veteran
They didn't sell so they quit making them and retailers are liquidating them. Just goes to show you how good you have to be to topple Wilson and Rawlings I guess.

Leozinho

The Rookie
They didn't sell so they quit making them and retailers are liquidating them. Just goes to show you how good you have to be to topple Wilson and Rawlings I guess.

Actually, I think it's ONE seller on the auction site that is responsible for the low prices. He must have gotten stuck with a lot of them, and he's selling them with no reserve to get rid of them.

The same seller, under a different user name, also has them listed for $99.

In the last few weeks, I have seen a few LHT gloves on Ebay that I think are people that bought from the original seller and now are trying to flip them. Some of the LHT gloves sold very cheap.

Jomatty

Starting Player
Sweet Baby Jesus this thing is stiff.
Just unboxed and started rifling a cannonball into the pocket.

This may take a week or so to get ready ;)

Definitely better than some off brands that I've handled, let's not even mention the price factor :cool:

They are very stiff out of the box but aso it and it will come around reasonably quick. That was my experience.

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for the input. I like my gloves on the stiffer side.
I'll be good with a little heel work and cannonball toss to get the pocket shaped...

newram05

Addicted to Softballfans
I've had goo luck with this particular seller, I've picked up multiple bats for a lot cheaper than other selling them.

They are very stiff out of the box but aso it and it will come around reasonably quick. That was my experience.
Exactly, very stiff but surprised how fast it took shape!

David the Gnome

The Veteran
Actually, I think it's ONE seller on the auction site that is responsible for the low prices. He must have gotten stuck with a lot of them, and he's selling them with no reserve to get rid of them.

The same seller, under a different user name, also has them listed for $99.

In the last few weeks, I have seen a few LHT gloves on Ebay that I think are people that bought from the original seller and now are trying to flip them. Some of the LHT gloves sold very cheap.

You can also buy them on Amazon for $99 too.

MaverickAH

Who takes up the shelf space in major chains?
Do you think that this is by accident?
How many are going to buy a brand they're not familiar with sight unseen?
Do you know that it's not unusual for a less recognized brand to come out of the same OEM factory as the more popular brand?

Sometimes it's not a case of being good or even better. ijs........

David the Gnome

The Veteran
Do you know that it's not unusual for a less recognized brand to come out of the same OEM factory as the more popular brand?

That's not a knock on the quality of the pro selects. A lot of guys on here compare them to an A2K in terms of quality. My point is, Wilson and Rawlings are so firmly planted at the top in baseball glove sales in America that you can put out an A2K quality glove and still have it not sell just because of the label that's on the glove.

Jomatty

Starting Player

I'm always curious as to which factories different gloves originate from. Do you have specific examples of this or do you just assume that it is the case (like I do). I'm curious, especially if some of the new Asia produced custom gloves are made in the same factory as some of the bigger name gloves. I'm getting ready to take apart a spalding first base mitt and am curious...(spaldings were made in phillipines)

MaverickAH

That's not a knock on the quality of the pro selects. A lot of guys on here compare them to an A2K in terms of quality. My point is, Wilson and Rawlings are so firmly planted at the top in baseball glove sales in America that you can put out an A2K quality glove and still have it not sell just because of the label that's on the glove.

I know it's not a knock. We are in agreement. I was just furthering the point by saying that the big glove makers take an active role in protecting their market share. They strong arm stores to monopolize the limited available shelf space. They're not above being litigious regarding the font, color & style used by others in their logos. They try to ensure that theirs are the only products you see on tv when MLB games are on. They actively do things to squeeze out competition.

I'm always curious as to which factories different gloves originate from. Do you have specific examples of this or do you just assume that it is the case (like I do). I'm curious, especially if some of the new Asia produced custom gloves are made in the same factory as some of the bigger name gloves. I'm getting ready to take apart a spalding first base mitt and am curious...(spaldings were made in phillipines)

I've talked to several people involved in the glove business as well as examined gloves from different brands that are sourced from the same respective countries. I've gained some insight.

7. Do you also sell wholesale? Can you produce gloves for my brand?

Yes, we can.

We offer discounts on products purchased in mass quantities, where discount starts at as small as quantity of five gloves. We can customize you gloves with your own logo of your company, school, team, etc. We welcome any kind of collaborations with you.

This is from one glove maker's website. It gives you an idea of what's going on in general terms.

I am probably going to address this on some level now that I have the time to write Vol.2 of Random Glove Musings.

Jomatty

Starting Player
That section on their website, combined with the apparent quality and features available is what made me wonder about some of the custom glove sites. Funny you posted the same passage I was thinking of...

Camoninja

Addicted to Softballfans
I finally won one of these last night as well, but I got the 13in. Now I'll have to wait to measure it out to see how big of a web I want to swap on it.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
I was watching the 12" model that ended last night. Didnt really need it but was curious what it would sell for. It was at $43 when I went to sleep last night. Id like someone else to be the guinea pig on the 12" model though :D

Sidenote, I won a slightly used nike covert 2.0 3 hybrid last night for $13!

David the Gnome

The Veteran
I almost bought one of those Spalding catcher's mitts. It ended up going for $48 plus like $10 shipping. I was going to buy it for a buddy of mine who's mitt got stolen but floz00 hooked me up with a mitt before I placed a bid on it.

Camoninja

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought about getting the first base mitt, but wasn't really sure how it played and I play first maybe twice a year.

Jomatty

Starting Player
The first base mitt is a good mitt, and a great option if you just want a mitt to play first occasionally. I like my dct slightly better but considering the price nwt if I needed a mitt I'd definitely go for one.

Gators21

Manager
I guess I'll be the naysayer here. My 12.75" just came in, and I'm just not feeling the love, even with a total outlay of only $61.00. I think I'm going to return it.

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm going to continue breaking mine in.
I've had it wrapped for a few days now, but the end state of this glove will most likely be a spare for my upcoming work league or just something to mess around with at BP.

Gators21

Manager
I've just had about 10 throws of couch catch with the glove, and the baseball is feeling real good hitting the pocket. I may be re-visiting that last comment of mine and going back to my original plan of relacing it in yellow gold. I don't believe that the leather is near the A2K level like I think someone mentioned, but that's not going to be a deal breaker for me. I've had the glovesmith boys relace a glove for me before---should I be looking at anyone else to do the job?

David the Gnome

The Veteran
Davisrelacing has done a couple gloves for me and he does outstanding work. Here is my KP92 that he just did a complete rework on for me: http://forums.softballfans.com/showpost.php?p=18256572&postcount=366

And for reference, this is what it looked like when I got it.

zl6is4.jpg

And After:

0205150707b.jpg

I was watching the 12" model that ended last night. Didnt really need it but was curious what it would sell for. It was at $43 when I went to sleep last night. Id like someone else to be the guinea pig on the 12" model though :D

Sidenote, I won a slightly used nike covert 2.0 3 hybrid last night for $13!
This is a 12" relaced and a 13" web swapped to a mod trap. 12" gone now but it was a nice glove as well. Measured right at 12". Hand opening not as big as the 13"