Here she is! Spalding Pro Select

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These last 2 responses surprise me. Care to elaborate?

I'm going to continue breaking mine in.
I've had it wrapped for a few days now, but the end state of this glove will most likely be a spare for my upcoming work league or just something to mess around with at BP.

It's a very nice piece of leather for sure, but it's not going to replace my J-Spec leather HOH or GMPs. I was very curious to try one of these out, especially considering the price. It is stiff kip and will require a bit of shaping and breaking in like any other glove. I just wished I had time this week to put into that process so I could give her a pre-tourney run tomorrow.

Jomatty

Starting Player
I've just had about 10 throws of couch catch with the glove, and the baseball is feeling real good hitting the pocket. I may be re-visiting that last comment of mine and going back to my original plan of relacing it in yellow gold. I don't believe that the leather is near the A2K level like I think someone mentioned, but that's not going to be a deal breaker for me. I've had the glovesmith boys relace a glove for me before---should I be looking at anyone else to do the job?

A second vote for Davis relacing. There are a number of gtg relacers on here but dan does great work, and is always very giving of his time to others who are learning to relace. I'd send your business to him.

David the Gnome

The Veteran
Ooh, this is a fun game.

cano-glove-sunglasses.png

wil-myers-glove-sunglasses1.png

wil-myers-black-grey-glove-shot.jpg

Although to be fair, Robi ditched his Spalding glove when he made the move out to Seattle.

Cano_BP-Fielding.jpg

Jomatty

Starting Player
You do realize that switching glove brands is completely a money move, don't you?

You sir are a little sensitive. It is safe to assume that anyone who spends much time on a forum dedicated to gloves knows that any major company could make a glove to a big name pros standards.

Leozinho

The Rookie
I "Aso'd" (hot water) my 12" mod trap and it's much, much better now. I wasn't getting anywhere with couch catch.

I also installed blue Mizuno laces in the trap, but I did that myself strictly for looks. I'm not going to relace the rest of it until it needs it.

Best $50 shipped I've spent in a while. I'm rotating the Spalding and the Louisville Katsu until I figure out which one I like better. After the Aso'ing, I think it's the Spalding. (But to be fair, the Katsu isn't fully broken in yet either).

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For me, I prefer the glove to be stiff, but with a deep pocket.
I'll prolly get around to breaking in a bit with catch this afternoon.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
I "Aso'd" (hot water) my 12" mod trap and it's much, much better now. I wasn't getting anywhere with couch catch.

I also installed blue Mizuno laces in the trap, but I did that myself strictly for looks. I'm not going to relace the rest of it until it needs it.

Best $50 shipped I've spent in a while. I'm rotating the Spalding and the Louisville Katsu until I figure out which one I like better. After the Aso'ing, I think it's the Spalding. (But to be fair, the Katsu isn't fully broken in yet either).

Do you have any pics? Are you using it for baseball or softball?

MaverickAH

You sir are a little sensitive. It is safe to assume that anyone who spends much time on a forum dedicated to gloves knows that any major company could make a glove to a big name pros standards.

What exactly am I being sensitive about? I don't give a **** nor have I ever in my life focused on what any pro wears. Did Cano switch because he wanted to go to a better glove? Highly unlikely. It's far more likely that his agent just got him a better deal.

All kinds of **** goes on when it comes to what you see on the field. Do you think that modifying gloves is exclusive to this board? Sometimes pro's will take a glove from a brand they don't represent to their company & say, "Make me one like this." Sometimes labels are changed/covered up. Images get "washed" or "removed" altogether.

KWOHMyaI.jpg

Notice anything? I know for a fact that Cano used another brand in the minors & that the moment he walked into a MLB clubhouse, he changed brands. That tells me 2 things:
  1. Money talks.
  2. People watching pro's place more importance on the gloves they use than they do.

Jomatty

Starting Player
What exactly am I being sensitive about? I don't give a **** nor have I ever in my life focused on what any pro wears. Did Cano switch because he wanted to go to a better glove? Highly unlikely. It's far more likely that his agent just got him a better deal.

All kinds of **** goes on when it comes to what you see on the field. Do you think that modifying gloves is exclusive to this board? Sometimes pro's will take a glove from a brand they don't represent to their company & say, "Make me one like this." Sometimes labels are changed/covered up. Images get "washed" or "removed" altogether.

KWOHMyaI.jpg

Notice anything? I know for a fact that Cano used another brand in the minors & that the moment he walked into a MLB clubhouse, he changed brands. That tells me 2 things:
  1. Money talks.
  2. People watching pro's place more importance on the gloves they use than they do.

Just seem a little sensitive about exactly what you talk about in this post. I don't think that people place more importance on the gloves pros use (at least not those that spend time on forums dedicated to talking about gloves). I think it is rare for someone on these forums to think "jj hardy is a great shortstop he must pick the glove he picks because it is the best, therefore I will buy that". I think they pick gloves based on what they like, often times in spite of who uses the glove (like in my case where I use a rv23 from time to time despite pros who have used it, not because of).

If someone picks a glove because of the major leaguer who uses it I believe that people do it because they want to support the player, the brands that pay that player and just because they idolize them, not because they perceive it to be better because said player uses it. Everyone understands how professional athletes sponsorships work.

Overall you seem very knowledgeable and I always appreciate your insight, however you see, "sensitive" when it comes to the little guys versus the big guys,mans those that choose to buy gloves made by the large companies. I support companies both large and small (equal opportunity glove addict) and also appreciate a steal like these spaldings. I'm looking forward to reading the next installment of the glove musings to hear what other gloves you have found that offer a great value.

MaverickAH

Just seem a little sensitive about exactly what you talk about in this post. I don't think that people place more importance on the gloves pros use (at least not those that spend time on forums dedicated to talking about gloves). I think it is rare for someone on these forums to think "jj hardy is a great shortstop he must pick the glove he picks because it is the best, therefore I will buy that". I think they pick gloves based on what they like, often times in spite of who uses the glove (like in my case where I use a rv23 from time to time despite pros who have used it, not because of).

If someone picks a glove because of the major leaguer who uses it I believe that people do it because they want to support the player, the brands that pay that player and just because they idolize them, not because they perceive it to be better because said player uses it. Everyone understands how professional athletes sponsorships work.

Overall you seem very knowledgeable and I always appreciate your insight, however you see, "sensitive" when it comes to the little guys versus the big guys,mans those that choose to buy gloves made by the large companies. I support companies both large and small (equal opportunity glove addict) and also appreciate a steal like these spaldings. I'm looking forward to reading the next installment of the glove musings to hear what other gloves you have found that offer a great value.

Not sensitive at all. If anything, I'll admit to being a bit of a contrarian to the general consensus currently present on this board. I'd welcome it if people expanded their horizons beyond the big three & if making my opinion known contributes to that happening, I've done a service.

One thing I do not have is a bias against the big companies. Hell, I've continuously owned an A2000 for over 40 years. I think that I have a better perspective than most. A glove is a tool intended for a specific purpose. Does it do for you what you want it to do? Anything beyond that is fluff.