Hitting Middle

nutmegs

IDGAFOS
If you find anywhere in the country that has a league just for C rated and higher players. Please let me know about it. Everyone always complains if a higher rated player hits a shot at a third baseman or the pitcher. You get honest good players that swing clean with bat control and choose to hit the ball where they want and you have e/rec fun teams with no bat control swinging out of they're shoes with a shaved bat. Just because it's an accident and someone says sorry pitch doesn't make a bit of difference. I think the real issue is lower level players with decent power and less control swinging glass and not knowing where it's going. I'm not saying lower level players are the only ones swinging glass because I see it at every level that I play. But bottom line is hitting the ball in play is part of the game no matter where the ball goes. Play a 5 man and get over it. Hitting middle isn't cheating and like it was said earlier hitting middle doesn't win games. It usually equates to more outs and double plays if your pitcher can field middle well.
Our Wednesday B league is 4 homeruns and one up hit your own ball. You must be a sanctioned team to enter and you play for 8 bats. It's a league for tournament teams. In this league there is all kinds of middle hit, but everyone plays 5 man. It's serious but not at the same time. Middle is hit but no one talks trash. Honestly there is way more trash that gets talked in crappy leagues I've noticed with less middle being hit.

When I play D on Thursdays I never hit middle since you never know who is out there. It's those games I work on pulling and oppo and drinking beer... and if it's against some of my buddies then the occasional bat flip.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
I couldn't disagree more. As a hitter I know a lot of people that would agree with you, and I'm ambivalent, but as a pitcher I hate it. I'll take my lumps, but way more people hit middle now that wouldn't if I didn't have to try and field around a stupid screen, and if their pitcher had the same concerns. I like it for coed as we have women pitchers, but for men's leagues I'd rather hit a 52 with no screen that what we have now. 44/375s with any non-senior bat.

To each his own, I guess. I have not had any issues fielding around a screen, however, I've had 8 seasons now to get used to it. Our league has been around a while with mostly the same players so it is easy to figure out which batters and which pitches require me to jet behind the fence.

Crazy thing is this past season two of the one piece singlewall leagues (using 375/40's) I play in (one coed & one men's) had 4 pitchers taken out last season (for the entire season). One guy took a direct shot that broke his radius, two others took direct shots to the wrist, and the last guy took a short hop to his kneecap.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Let's make it 100% safe for all fielders then and just draw circles on the field where the fielders would be, and we'll just count everything not hit in the circles as a hit?

or you could just buy 5 fences, one for each infielder. Hell, you could even put them on rollers so you could move around

What in the word is a "pitching fence"? Is that different from a screen??

yeah same thing. Us polocks refer to it as a fence.

twinsdad23

Addicted to Softballfans
I know the guy and he is one hell of a pitcher and can field his spot. This ball was a laser and I don't think anybody on this board is good enough to catch it. He was wearing a catchers helmet.

The guy pitching is playing at a level "B" USSSA or higher against the best in softball but the keyboard jockeys on here are saying that they will catch the ball more often than not. I love it when people say funny things.

Fishstick5

Addicted to Softballfans
The guy pitching is playing at a level "B" USSSA or higher against the best in softball but the keyboard jockeys on here are saying that they will catch the ball more often than not. I love it when people say funny things.
Isn't that their right on here. Only time they get to really be big boys.

blakcherry329

I know the guy and he is one hell of a pitcher and can field his spot. This ball was a laser and I don't think anybody on this board is good enough to catch it. He was wearing a catchers helmet.

I'm thinking if he was set and not jumping around he probably would have, at least, gotten a glove on it.

blakcherry329

If you watch the video and focus on his glove it is moving toward the ball but it was a laser.
I did watch the video and you can't tell me that he is ready to field his position with all that bouncing around.

The ball was hit a little harder than I thought, but I still think he should get a glove on it. And why would you turn your head if you're wearing a mask?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

Like USSSA B is the highest level of softball? Or that every ball hit at USSSA B level is so hard nobody else could catch it?

nutmegs

IDGAFOS
It doesn't, technically, protect the pitcher, but it will cut down on middle shots just because...
This. With no MI many teams just aim for the middle and hope it goes through. With aMI moving around back there it messes with the batter. He would have to pick one side of the middle to hit at. It essentially determines who is good at hitting middle and who isn't. If the middle hitters keep getting out then they stop.

PPC#12

Manager
The ball was hit a little harder than I thought, but I still think he should get a glove on it. And why would you turn your head if you're wearing a mask?

Are you telling me if someone drills a ball back at your face and you have 1/3 of a second to react, that you're natural reaction wouldn't be to turn away whether you have a helmet on or not??

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
As a pitcher, it depends on the situation.

I have a problem with someone trying to hurt me by shooting one back up the middle, but not someone who is just trying to get on base by doing the same thing.

It's not hard for me to tell the difference.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
As a pitcher, it depends on the situation.

I have a problem with someone trying to hurt me by shooting one back up the middle, but not someone who is just trying to get on base by doing the same thing.

It's not hard for me to tell the difference.

Because intentionally being hit hurts more than the accidental ball off the body/face?

SoCalChappy619

Addicted to Softballfans
Our Wednesday B league is 4 homeruns and one up hit your own ball. You must be a sanctioned team to enter and you play for 8 bats. It's a league for tournament teams. In this league there is all kinds of middle hit, but everyone plays 5 man. It's serious but not at the same time. Middle is hit but no one talks trash. Honestly there is way more trash that gets talked in crappy leagues I've noticed with less middle being hit.

When I play D on Thursdays I never hit middle since you never know who is out there. It's those games I work on pulling and oppo and drinking beer... and if it's against some of my buddies then the occasional bat flip.

Sadly there is only a few sanctioned teams from San Diego. And that's only E teams. Most all the SoCal teams are from LA and inland empire San bernadino area. Most of the legit players from San Diego get picked up by upper teams from up there. And the teams down here only play local director non sanctioned ball with occasional utrip or Asa in E's. I really wish the legit players move up so we could have an upper division so I don't have to drive 60-100 miles each way to play in a tournament.

T Ripp

<font color="gray">GDC SILVER STATUS MEMBER</font>
Well we can hold our own with them & any other team in our league. Our pitcher fields the middle well. If he can get glove on it, he catches it. I guess what bothered me the most was just the way they went about it. They try to police the league from hitting middle against them & cry & fight when someone does it against them. But then they turn around & hit middle themselves.

Sounds like the good ole we can do but can't take it back but you know what if they are gonna do it you gotta do it back and if they cry about simply tell them you stop we will stop til then game on b!tches... I'm a pitcher and I field my position and have no prob with middle shots I will field it throw em out that easy but if you think you are gonna buzz the tower and not get the same in return you have another thing coming....

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm pretty sure that's what I was saying about you, I was just more discreet about it.....but I'm sure you figured that out being a superstar and all.

You really cannot understand the difference between an intentional act and an accidental one?

No one said the result was different ("they both hurt the same" as you put it), but the reaction in response to one versus the other is entirely different.

I know I'm wasting time on you, but you might want to check out mens rea if the concept is still unclear to you.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You really cannot understand the difference between an intentional act and an accidental one?

No one said the result was different ("they both hurt the same" as you put it), but the reaction in response to one versus the other is entirely different.

I know I'm wasting time on you, but you might want to check out mens rea if the concept is still unclear to you.

I know the difference, but if I hit you, you would not know whether I did it intentionally or not. It's also no black and white. I hit middle for hits constantly, but will try and not stay farther away based on the skill level of the opposing pitcher. How much I like them could play a role in that, but that doesn't mean I intentionally hit them if I happen to.

PPC#12

Manager
I'm with jbo on this one ^^. I "shoot middle" when givin the right pitch to do it. Not to hurt anyone, but to get hits. I'm a pitcher myself so I know what to expect back if I do hit someone... Just part of the game and I don't go jawing about it if I get hit at.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans

What level do you play?

League:____________________________

Tournament:________________________

^^^Will maybe help me understand a little more about you and your mentality

jgsxr04600

Star Player
I am a pitcher and it is very obvious when someone intentionally hits back at you. If I pitch you so far inside it would be a ball and you close up and hit it back at me it was obviously intentional. There is absolutely no reason for a "C" team to be blowing up the middle on an "E" team. if they are truly C players they should be able to hit anywhere. In a tournament hit it back at me all day until I prove I can stop it. In league we are there for fun to get swings and relax.

twinsdad23

Addicted to Softballfans
Like USSSA B is the highest level of softball? Or that every ball hit at USSSA B level is so hard nobody else could catch it?

Are you drinking while you are on-line? Where did anyone say or did I say that every ball hit at USSSA B level is so hard that nobody else could catch it? Nor did I say that B is the highest level. It is at this time that I need to ask if you are a moron though? :confused: Those are some moronic questions that you asked in relation to my comment.:eek: I believe that you stated that you would catch that ball more times than not. I stated that he is playing USSSA B. If you play at B or higher than maybe so. You could also catch the ball at a lower level but I highly doubt it.

With this pitcher playing USSSA B it is highly likely that he faces a lot more players that can hit the ball harder than if he was playing at E or D level though. :thumb:

Sburgy4

Addicted to Softballfans
Not sure which pitcher it was, but if it's the younger guy on Baughford we faced him at conference championship, he was a stud (they were bumped to A half way through the year). It's a lot easier to say you'll get a glove on that ball then actually going out there and doing it lol.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you drinking while you are on-line? Where did anyone say or did I say that every ball hit at USSSA B level is so hard that nobody else could catch it? Nor did I say that B is the highest level. It is at this time that I need to ask if you are a moron though? :confused: Those are some moronic questions that you asked in relation to my comment.:eek: I believe that you stated that you would catch that ball more times than not. I stated that he is playing USSSA B. If you play at B or higher than maybe so. You could also catch the ball at a lower level but I highly doubt it.

With this pitcher playing USSSA B it is highly likely that he faces a lot more players that can hit the ball harder than if he was playing at E or D level though. :thumb:

Here's what you said.

You said you love it when people say funny things. I assumed you meant where you said USSSA B was "the best in softball" or that people saying they'd catch that ball more often than not are "keyboard jockeys". Maybe you aren't familiar with what keyboard jockeys mean?

I wasn't disrespecting his skill at all. If you pitched you'd know that. He got caught with his glove down low is all. I'm pretty sure I said that also. This ball is right at his face. Intentionally or unintentionally, that is every pitcher I know's hot zone. I bet that guy catches that ball more often than not, since that's only 6/10.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure which pitcher it was, but if it's the younger guy on Baughford we faced him at conference championship, he was a stud (they were bumped to A half way through the year). It's a lot easier to say you'll get a glove on that ball then actually going out there and doing it lol.

Do you pitch? Is this the hardest hit ball in this game?

Rocketfire24

Addicted to Softballfans
It almost seems like the higher level players you go up against the more Hitting Middle, acting like a bad ass, getting in the other teams head...the worse it gets. It has become part of the game for the upper level play. Those top level C and conference guys act like they are really special studs. I guess when you are trying to win State/Worlds/Cash/Tourney T-shirt I can understand being a little more serious...but in league ball its stupid.

We have 3 or 4 D/E tourney players on my upper level league team is mostly comprised of good ball players that don't have time to play tourney ball anymore. The C level and conference players that we go up against in our league demonstrates the douche attitudes sometimes. Hard to find a upper level teams with a bunch of good guys that play hard but are gentleman too. I will go on record saying that there is NOTHING WRONG with apologizing after you hit middle. No need to fire at a pitcher on purpose, even if they have hit at your pitch or are getting mouthy. I don't want to hurt some dude I don't know.