Hitting up the Middle

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Pitchers are to blame if they don't get in the proper position to protect themselves

You can be in the "right" position and still get destroyed by a hard liner off a hot bat. Guys have zero time to react anymore. What exactly is the "right" position to be in as a pitcher?

I simply think that anyone with an ounce of talent as a hitter should hit the ball elsewhere. It takes zero skill to pound the ball up the middle. As hard as I hit a ball, I don't want it going anywhere near a pitcher.

Joker

You can be in the "right" position and still get destroyed by a hard liner off a hot bat. Guys have zero time to react anymore. What exactly is the "right" position to be in as a pitcher?

I simply think that anyone with an ounce of talent as a hitter should hit the ball elsewhere. It takes zero skill to pound the ball up the middle. As hard as I hit a ball, I don't want it going anywhere near a pitcher.
taking a step or 2 back, being set in a good fielding position, and expecting the ball to be hit at you. yea **** still happens, but if you're not putting yourself in the proper position by watching the ball or getting complacent then you are to blame for getting hit

WillW3

Starting Player

You're wrong. Again, not everyone is as skilled as you. Please keep talking about how great of a hitter you are, and how cowards that hit up the middle have no skill at all.

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
I have had two occasions when I tried to go oppo and hit line drives right at the pitchers face. Luckily both times the pitcher got his glove up enough to deflect. Otherwise the pitcher is either dead, or his face is completely destroyed. I purposely try not to go middle because I do not want to be the one responsible for destroying someone's face.

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans

If it takes zero skill to hit up the middle and hitting middle is allowed in the rules, then the problem rests with the game itself. You are essentially saying that it takes zero skill to get a hit. Well if that is true, you need to find a more challenging pass time and quit softball.

Hiltz

Built for comfort

You're wrong. Again, not everyone is as skilled as you. Please keep talking about how great of a hitter you are, and how cowards that hit up the middle have no skill at all.

Did you see Travis Clark get drilled by Greg Connell last year? Gap between pitcher and 2b, Connell went for it but Clark backed off the mound to that side as Connell was swinging. He was 2-3 steps back, had his feet set and his glove ready and STILL got drilled.

I realize that we're not all Greg Connell, but 45' is not far and today's bats are too hot. Any grown man with a halfway decent swing can hit a ball that simply cannot be reacted to in time.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
How is his opinion wrong? Everything he started as fact is completely correct and accurate. Pitchers have very little time to react. A pitcher can do everything right and still get blown up. It's the place to hit with the lowest degree of difficulty, which is why people are saying it makes the most sense for them as batters to hit there. I don't really agree with him, but I can't argue it either. I try as hard as I can to never put anything through the middle head high. I about it completely in league for the most part.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
the difference was Clark shifted into that hole ON PURPOSE
That's the problem with this argument/issue. As defenders we're supposed to fill the holes in the field. The bats and balls are so hot people say things like it's your fault you threw it outside, flat, fell where you're supposed to. I'm already throwing it underhanded, and now people think I'm asking for it if I do anything but lob cookies inside and don't try and play defense. It's ludicrous.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is this because you can't feel feelings?
I eat my feelings, and some other people's too.

Those you can't hit the middle rules are the worst. But a screen. Otherwise you have somebody assuming you won't even less prepared than normal when an accident blows through there.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
That 4' wide "pitcher zone" works out to a 27' swath of field on a 300' fence. I did the math, but I'm not showing my work. The idiots with no bat control that are constantly hitting at you might be trying to hit the RC gap and are just pulling the trigger a fraction of a second too early.

You missed my point completely. I wasn't comparing 3b to pitching; I was saying that the odd middle shot is part of the game for pitchers, the same way hard liners are to be expected when you're playing 3b. I have nothing but respect for guys who are willing to stand 45' away from today's bats.

I did address your point and agreed with it. re-read the post please, it was the first sentence.

Country469

That was my point. He fell back there on purpose, got set, expected the ball to be hit there, and STILL had no time to react.

That's the problem with this argument/issue. As defenders we're supposed to fill the holes in the field. The bats and balls are so hot people say things like it's your fault you threw it outside, flat, fell where you're supposed to. I'm already throwing it underhanded, and now people think I'm asking for it if I do anything but lob cookies inside and don't try and play defense. It's ludicrous.

The chance of being hit even in the conference when trying to avoid being hit is pretty slim. Me personally, maybe 3-4 times a year its unavoidable. But thats because I attempt to put myself in harms way. If I wanted to never field the middle, I could pretty much ensure I'm safe. The guys who hit is hard enough to scare me, don't hit it right at me cuz they know its probs gonna be an out. Is the equipment too good? yes. Is pitching with a 52 safe, yes it is as well. There has always and will always be inherent risks in pitching.

WillW3

Starting Player
How is his opinion wrong? Everything he started as fact is completely correct and accurate. Pitchers have very little time to react. A pitcher can do everything right and still get blown up. It's the place to hit with the lowest degree of difficulty, which is why people are saying it makes the most sense for them as batters to hit there. I don't really agree with him, but I can't argue it either. I try as hard as I can to never put anything through the middle head high. I about it completely in league for the most part.
Not arguing that you can still get blown up in a good defensive position. I'm arguing that it takes no skill to hit a hole through the middle. It took me a long time to be able to take an inside pitch and push it through the middle hole.

Travis fell in that hole hoping that Connell would see it and go somewhere else. A pitcher never falls into a hole hoping that the guy hits it at him.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate the chest puffing, "pitcher should no pitch if can't catch. Grrr." Morons.

But flat and outside is coming back at you nearly every time. A lot of pitchers throw that purposely and hope it's a cue shot but know it's more than likely wise they cover up. If you put one there you're leaving the hitter with only a few options--which is why you throw it--and a good hitter isn't going to take a bad swing at a ball they can't hit hard just to avoid the pitcher--which is why you should be ready.
Played a team league this year and hit their pitcher twice. Second time he said if it happens again we're fighting. Every single pitch he was trying to throw a curve and it kept floating outside. The Neanderthals that want to throw a breaking pitch low and outside and then try and intimidate us into hitting it wrong are the ones I can't stand.

Country469

I fall into holes hoping its hit at me, yes. Even when it hits me, I generally get an out. If you can't accept hockey player status on the mode, don't pitch.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The chance of being hit even in the conference when trying to avoid being hit is pretty slim. Me personally, maybe 3-4 times a year its unavoidable. But thats because I attempt to put myself in harms way. If I wanted to never field the middle, I could pretty much ensure I'm safe. The guys who hit is hard enough to scare me, don't hit it right at me cuz they know its probs gonna be an out. Is the equipment too good? yes. Is pitching with a 52 safe, yes it is as well. There has always and will always be inherent risks in pitching.
I was just pointing out how indicated it is to say the game is plenty safe if you just play the game differently than you are supposed to.

I agree on the 52 but I did muff the first one I saw this year because I closed the glove too early.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not arguing that you can still get blown up in a good defensive position. I'm arguing that it takes no skill to hit a hole through the middle. It took me a long time to be able to take an inside pitch and push it through the middle hole.

Travis fell in that hole hoping that Connell would see it and go somewhere else. A pitcher never falls into a hole hoping that the guy hits it at him.
That's why I fall into holes. I always want it hit at me, just softly it on a Sunday hop.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Reading all the follow-up comments, there are multiple options to protect yourself and make yourself a better fielder. Yes, a pitcher has stricter boundaries than an infielder, but there are still many ways to work around that.

• Take 2-3 steps back after release, but make sure you're set with the glove up before contact.
  • Learn to pitch by striding backward, or set up your release so that you're not moving forward with the pitch, and you can move back even further.
  • Don't watch the pitch (one of my common failings with a league that uses a mat). Ask your catcher for feedback on pitch location.
  • Most important, get some equipment
Done.

blakcherry329

I don't go middle out of "professional courtesy". ;) I may go middle if the game is on the line. Depends on the defensive alignment. Having said that, I don't begrudge anyone hitting middle. It's part of the field. Even if you're trying to hurt me. I wear protection for a reason. Even if I get hit, it won't be life-threatening. If i happened to catch it, maybe it goes in your ear as you run to first. Ooops, my bad. ;)(never did that, just saying)
We all have a player or two on our teams that always has the pitcher's back. lol.:) Eventually, cooler heads will prevail.

oppotaco13

Played a team league this year and hit their pitcher twice. Second time he said if it happens again we're fighting. Every single pitch he was trying to throw a curve and it kept floating outside. The Neanderthals that want to throw a breaking pitch low and outside and then try and intimidate us into hitting it wrong are the ones I can't stand.

That's why I don't get mad at middle shots(unless it's done purposely trying to hit me) . I live on the outside of the plate.

WillW3

Starting Player
I never ever try to intentionally hit a pitcher or at a pitcher. Some pitchers develop tendencies and fall to a particular side that opens a hole up. If I commit to that spot, and the pitcher happens to fall into it, so be it. But I'm never trying to injure someone.

blakcherry329

I might hit middle on purpose if the pitcher said some dumb **** like that.

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce

This is the biggest crock of horse****. First off, it does take talent to shred the middle. I've seen your team play and know what level of the game you guys compete at. If you hit and play at the level you do, guys are expecting shots in the 1/6 and 1/4 holes. Sometimes pitchers get hit/hurt. The only people that cry about the middle getting blasted are E players or lower.

legend4130

Addicted to Softballfans
This is the biggest crock of horse****. First off, it does take talent to shred the middle. I've seen your team play and know what level of the game you guys compete at. If you hit and play at the level you do, guys are expecting shots in the 1/6 and 1/4 holes. Sometimes pitchers get hit/hurt. The only people that cry about the middle getting blasted are E players or lower.

That was one of the biggest things I saw when we got bumped up to D's in ASA and USSSA. Pitchers never talked sh*t when there was a hard shot up the middle. If anything, they were pissed that they didn't field it.

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans
I got hit a couple times this year because I faded to the side right into the pitch. That was my fault. Mentally I have to always tell myself to go straight back and be ready. As far as hitting I try not to hit the middle. The only time I do is when I take a short pitch that I'm trying to go opposite field with, normally that's a grounder up the middle. Agree with you Legend...I'm more mad at myself than the hitting, I should be fielding that hit.