Illegal bats

activeone

Addicted to Softballfans
I am curious to what your league does to discourage illegal bats in their league. We are noticing more people using suspected illegal bats. What does your league do to protect the safety of the leagues players? Does it ignore the problem,does it ask you to sign a waiver before your league season starts, stating the league has rites to check,your bat? Does it test bats that are suspected of being illegal? Just curious as to how other leagues handle the situation. Thanks for you input

ju25

Addicted to Softballfans
In senior ball we use a screen, in our open leagues(18+) bat is confiscated if you hit a pitcher. Much more bat doctoring going on in open league vs. senior ball. If bat fails compression it is cut open to check for doctoring. If doctored you get a 1 year suspension. In my ASA league you can have any bat checked for $20, and if it fails compression the whole team is suspended.

Dogue

Evil Genius
Senior league I play does not check bats. We are now required to use a pitching net though.

mr350

Addicted to Softballfans
In our league both teams put up three bats each so both teams use all 6 bats so either team really can't complain..

bird25

34/30 Club #25
In senior ball we use a screen, in our open leagues(18+) bat is confiscated if you hit a pitcher. Much more bat doctoring going on in open league vs. senior ball. If bat fails compression it is cut open to check for doctoring. If doctored you get a 1 year suspension. In my ASA league you can have any bat checked for $20, and if it fails compression the whole team is suspended.

So what if it fails but is clean ? Do they apologize and buy you a new bat?

mnball

Addicted to Softballfans
I had a 1800 plus hit Easton L6 26oz ASA suspected of being shaved - I gave that to them they sent it to Easton - Easton cut it and determined the bat was NOT tampered with - AND I WAS OUT A HOT EASTON L6.
The guy who complained about my bat when it was found to be perfectly legal apologized and after the game with him - I called his prized possession out the Demarini Juggy J3 - the white one -- I new it was legit but now I let him go through the process - he wouldn't let the league director take his bat and was suspended the rest of the season from the league - point is - when you call someone out they have every right to call you out..
On a side note - the Easton L6 green is a log but it wakes up after about 1200 hits with stadium balls and becomes hot as can be -handles the 52/300 balls big time . I have another L6 but only around 800 cuts on it and its still a turd - many hits to go.

ABLXTRA

veteran
We use USSSA bats and are tested before the season and befor playoffs . You can challenge a bat at any time. if it fails it is taken that night and sticker removed and given back at end of night , if it is used again any other time player is suspended . Most bats have serial # easy to track

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Yesterday at the one piece league guys were asking if they could use an NRG500. It has an ASA stamp, if I could use mine I shoulda told them yea its legal, LOL

JP21

In our league both teams put up three bats each so both teams use all 6 bats so either team really can't complain..

That is probably the best way to keep it honest. I couldn't see too many people putting out a shaved stick to be used against them.

jbar2845

Officer Friendly
I play in one league where there is a provided bat list to choose from, and all bats from either team playing are shared. We had our own issues prior to implementing this rule, since then nothing.

jbar2845

Officer Friendly
I had a 1800 plus hit Easton L6 26oz ASA suspected of being shaved - I gave that to them they sent it to Easton - Easton cut it and determined the bat was NOT tampered with - AND I WAS OUT A HOT EASTON L6.
The guy who complained about my bat when it was found to be perfectly legal apologized and after the game with him - I called his prized possession out the Demarini Juggy J3 - the white one -- I new it was legit but now I let him go through the process - he wouldn't let the league director take his bat and was suspended the rest of the season from the league - point is - when you call someone out they have every right to call you out..
On a side note - the Easton L6 green is a log but it wakes up after about 1200 hits with stadium balls and becomes hot as can be -handles the 52/300 balls big time . I have another L6 but only around 800 cuts on it and its still a turd - many hits to go.
This one???

Attachments

• item-20744mexxredo-1l.jpg
    item-20744mexxredo-1l.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 30

mnball

Addicted to Softballfans
yes thats the one - most people hated this bat - because of the amount of hits needed to get it hot.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I play in one league where there is a provided bat list to choose from, and all bats from either team playing are shared. We had our own issues prior to implementing this rule, since then nothing.
Just out of curiosity, I like the idea, but what happens if the bat breaks when the other team is swinging it? It's just agreed that you are responsible if your bat breaks regardless of who is swinging it?

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Well yeah Sully your not gonna hit someone up if the bat breaks when they swing it, If they pulled an ass move and smashed it on the ground cause they sucked thats a different story

chile

Bad Ape
I played in a league where, when a HR was hit, the bat was available for the other team to use...I guess if it was worked, that doesn't solve the issue but hey...they thought it was a solution.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Yeah I gotcha Buggs, I just figured it's got to be agreed upon in the beginning. I could see people putting up resistance to that idea at the coach's meeting the first time it's proposed.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
That should be the rule at every game now, Would it stop altering? No but it would shut everyone up. Im the type that says just lets play, screw the bat, play the game and stop wasting my time with all the bitching. If I wanted to hear bitching I would just stay at work

dunkky

That should be the rule at every game now, Would it stop altering? No but it would shut everyone up. Im the type that says just lets play, screw the bat, play the game and stop wasting my time with all the bitching. If I wanted to hear bitching I would just stay at work

can't agree anymore. i mean this is senior league god sake. "Senior", what does that represent? people are suppose to enjoy this outdoor activity in a relaxed manner like fishing or golf. don't really understand either side, people who use shave bats and the ones who are very sensitive about their opponent's hot bats. If i come to that point, i rather quit and go fishing.

bird25

34/30 Club #25

So even though your bat was clean you got nothing out of the deal. No money or new , even a warranty return

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Bobby, call my LD from my Long Beach 55+ league and try to explain about the 52 300 balls. My forehead is bloody trying to get them to understand......

activeone

Addicted to Softballfans
We could change the ball as you said and that would penilize the 110 honest players in our league. I would like to find a good way of taking the suspected 10 or so guys who maybe using illegal bats and try catch them with testing or give them a good reason not to use them out of fear of being caught. Also as a director of the league and liability for of board.our league is 55 and over most players are 68 years old some as old a 80. I thought other leagues might have this issue and found a good way to deal with it.

tonys1

Then educate your umps on how to identify illegal bats and invest in a compression tester. It sounds really important to you, what else can you really do?