IS NSA DYING?

Woodyfan83

Stu Padaso
Just curious about this. NSA was King of Kentucky considering they are headquartered there, but they are seeing a serious decline in participation.

How's it looking out your way? Is is just NSA that's down or is it slow-pitch in general?

NSA is dead around here. I think they only had three WSQ and TOTAL participation was 25 teams in the state (IL), When I first player NSA, there were 20 team WSQ's and 50 team state championships. Meanwhile USSSA/GSL have 20-40 team tournaments every weekend and they don't even pay out. It's crazy. The reasons are the pitching and the ball. People like the dancing pitchers and a good ball to hit.

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
Here in Ky, at least for the central and southern part of the state, NSA still runs the roost. But Northern Ky and Louisville is seeing a lot more USSSA action as well as GSL and WSL and it is heading south geographically speaking. From what I have seen, there has been little ASA though.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't think we've seen an NSA tournament in Oregon in 10 years. All ASA and USSSA.

Country469

NSA i still pretty big in the carolinas, but nationally little to no presence. They are trying entirely too hard to class teams properly, and with softball being played by sandbagging ass hats these days, its not gonna grow.

Stretch19

Grow up
its fading in the carolinas also...it was pretty disappointing to see only 1 team from NC go to OH for the super worlds

milesej05

The Rookie
We don't have any NSA here in Nebraska or Western Iowa...heck, I can't even find NSA balls to buy for BP around here.

Woodyfan83

Stu Padaso
Here in Ky, at least for the central and southern part of the state, NSA still runs the roost. But Northern Ky and Louisville is seeing a lot more USSSA action as well as GSL and WSL and it is heading south geographically speaking. From what I have seen, there has been little ASA though.

TBI... You're still seeing good participation? Everybody back home is telling me it's down hill really bad.

Bombdropper10

Addicted to Softballfans
This year had about 3 c teams bout 20-25 d teams where about 6 or 7 shoulda been c. Then about 40 e teams. I believe c state had 8 teams with 3 d an 2 e in it. D had 17 an e had like 35

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
TBI... You're still seeing good participation? Everybody back home is telling me it's down hill really bad.

It's really the only option we have, but yeah, the numbers are down for the amount of people that play. I didn't say we liked it, we actually wish we had more options. ASA is close by, but that means a 30 minute drive to play and the umpires are Charles Barkley worthy of the word terrible (turrible). There has been what seems like a long, slow push for GSL and WSL here in Lexington, but it is coming from the 'Nati area and is creeping south. I say in the next 2 years it will be here and maybe even take the lead over NSA. Until then, we are stuck with what our parks and rec gives us.

SandyWH

#Delicious
NSA is still the default in upper SC, but they have lost quite a bit of ground to USSSA the last two years.

Even when ASA all but died in SC, NSA didn't see any upswing.

cmo27

Local Celebrity
I think NSA is still relevant on a National level. They had 50 or so teams at Silver Supers, 28 in C. Nearly identical numbers to ASA and GSL. GSL had a few more C teams at world's but that's due to USSSA being non existent in the surrounding areas. While numbers may be slim at state levels, national levels are still bringing decent numbers to world and national tournaments with USSSA being king as always and everyone else is fairly even in 2nd place.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
NSA is still there surrounding Nashville, at least leagues. To be more specific, there are quite a few tourneys and leagues (NSL) going by NSA rules. I have never seen an ASA tourney. Mostly NSA and ISA.

Unless it has gone to GSL, the largest complex in NE Ohio is NSA.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
NSA in CO has been declining the last few years. It was never huge to begin with, but they used to run tournaments just about every weekend in Denver. Now it's down to about 1 a month, and even those don't have very many teams. I attribute it partially to being poorly run/managed and also due to a statewide decline in softball participation overall.

I actually like NSA and don't mind the rule structure, but its been tough times overall for the sanction here for a while.

Kaveman

Trend Setter
NSA in CO has been declining the last few years. It was never huge to begin with, but they used to run tournaments just about every weekend in Denver. Now it's down to about 1 a month, and even those don't have very many teams. I attribute it partially to being poorly run/managed and also due to a statewide decline in softball participation overall.

I actually like NSA and don't mind the rule structure, but its been tough times overall for the sanction here for a while.

Agreed, The number of NSA tourneys has dropped. The softball brand they went to turns to mush in the later games.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Agreed, The number of NSA tourneys has dropped. The softball brand they went to turns to mush in the later games.

Those balls they use are bad. Even the league I umpire for uses better balls. NSA has slid precipitously here the last 2-3 years.

c.mathews23

Addicted to Softballfans

Sorry for opening an old topic but ISA is starting to make a push up into KY

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
I haven't seen this at all in the Lexington area if it is, but one of the guys who works for parks and rec had a discussion with me about associations around here or potentially could. Will be an interesting next couple of years to say the least, especially with people mishandling money and not paying umpires for sanctioned tourneys.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is Apple still running it? Everything was nsa till he left parks and recreation to go to NSA.

SC NSA

Starting Player
NSA is still the default in upper SC, but they have lost quite a bit of ground to USSSA the last two years.

Even when ASA all but died in SC, NSA didn't see any upswing.
Andrew Yount I see u played NSA back in 2013 with Murphy Law in REC...remember you guys well!! Just curious at your post as to where u got that info from? The last ASA I remember in SC has been 7/8;years ago?? And No Uptick?? Just for example in 2017 NSA In SC has had 6 tournamentS and we have had 307 teams play...that is an avarage of 50 plus a weekend...Can Anyone else say that in SC?? We just had the Carolina Wars in ROCK HILL 52 teams...b4 that Battle at THE Border 56 teams..the week b4 for Winter worlds Myrtle Beach 68 teams and b4 that WW Bronze and Coed 82 teams!!! So again would love to hear your reasoning to blast NSA In South Carolina against an Association that has 5-8 teams a tournament ! I agree numbers over all are down BUT I promise with the new ownership and some changes coming it won't be long....treat the teams fair..they will come!

Last edited:

SandyWH

#Delicious
Andrew Yount I see u played NSA back in 2013 with Murphy Law in REC...remember you guys well!! Just curious at your post as to where u got that info from? The last ASA I remember in SC has been 7/8;years ago?? And No Uptick?? Just for example in 2017 NSA In SC has had 6 tournamentS and we have had 307 teams play...that is an avarage of 50 plus a weekend...Can Anyone else say that in SC?? We just had the Carolina Wars in ROCK HILL 52 teams...b4 that Battle at THE Border 56 teams..the week b4 for Winter worlds Myrtle Beach 68 teams and b4 that WW Bronze and Coed 82 teams!!! So again would love to hear your reasoning to blast NSA In South Carolina against an Association that has 5-8 teams a tournament ! I agree numbers over all are down BUT I promise with the new ownership and some changes coming it won't be long....treat the teams fair..they will come!
I think you've read into my comments more than needed.
I have absolutely nothing bad to say about NSA. I prefer NSA to all of the other associations around SC. Played SC Air virtually all of last season, and we played almost exclusively NSA the entire season.

2013 was the last time I remember playing ASA in SC, and we played probably 1/2 our tournaments in ASA,

My info comes from my eyes and ears. Nothing else. When I hear friends are going to skip NSA on a weekend to go play (sandbag) in Gastonia, or play in a Freedom at the beach, etc. That wasn't happening a few years back.

While NSA is still king, like I said, USSSA & Freedom have been able to put on more and more tournaments in the area and getting some solid fields/teams to play in them.

I was in no way "blasting" NSA in SC.Just answering the OP's question. Which you even agreed with, to a degree, by saying that overall numbers were down. And that's all i was saying.

NSA in SC is still very well organized. Still has the most teams playing. Still does the best job with umpires. Still has the most tournaments. And does the best job of classifying teams.

Country469

Yeah Jeff! And stuff. I think I once played murphy law at lower winter worlds one time. We beat them with 9 guys if I recall too.

MiamiE

MIDDLE'S OPEN!
NSA used to be awesome in Florida with the 44/400. Then they went to the mush ball and people lost interest. They're now nearly nonexistent here. Good job fellas!

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
NSA used to be awesome in Florida with the 44/400. Then they went to the mush ball and people lost interest. They're now nearly nonexistent here. Good job fellas!
I've never understood why people say the don't like the ball that NSA uses. The .52 cor ball didn't kill NSA. That ball separates hitters from those who can hit. It's not like your playing with rif 10 or incrediball

J2009

Boom !!!!!
Ks is dead for nsa ok use to have a lot but now it's dead the last 2 years, mo still has some but that's about it in are area. Utrip/gsl is king in this area now

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I've never understood why people say the don't like the ball that NSA uses. The .52 cor ball didn't kill NSA. That ball separates hitters from those who can hit. It's not like your playing with rif 10 or incrediball

I agree. The ball switch didn't make me like NSA any less. If anything it made the game better and now people actually have to WORK a little bit to hit the ball hard and far.