Knee Replacement

dunno

I know someone that is 6- '4" and 250 lbs. 72 y/o with one total knee replacement last year.

Should the doctor have even done surgery on him? Seems his BMI is borderline obese ...

I know someone that is 6- '4" and 250 lbs. 72 y/o with one total knee replacement last year.

Should the doctor have even done surgery on him? Seems his BMI is borderline obese ...
Unfortunately lotta people fit in that category including me while they tell u to at least try to lose some weight nowadays they do the surgery fat people need new knee surgery to weight is a factor

msw4indy

Addicted to Softballfans
I wonder why that is for seated leg extensions? Its one exercise I think would be good.so im surprised to hear that. Wonder if anyone would explain..thanks

While it's a great exercise to isolate the quads, you need to also work the hamstrings to balance out the legs and aid in the stability of the knee joint. It puts a lot of stress on the ligaments as well so if you have knee issues already it might be a good one to stay away from. I usually will do a few light sets before tackling my usual leg day to get blood flowing to my knees but I don't go very heavy on them.

Steve Butler

Addicted to Softballfans
It was explained to me that the 1st half of the exercise is the bad part for your knee. My knee doc said to do the exercise and extend the knee and squeeze the quad then let the weight down 1/3 then back up and squeeze. Slow and Steady. BTW, my left knee is bone on bone on the outside and doc says not if but when.

Ken07

DeMarini/Wilson Sports Senior Pro
I had my total right knee replacement, on the second night post.. Previous 3 scopes and no ACL... Ive played around 285 most of my adult life, but working on getting down to 245 or so to help out the knee. Honestly on my second night and while I went on the bad knees along time and they wrere about as bad as my surgeon had seen for wear of the bone, it went well...and even though he had to manipulate my very tight tendons and muscles..which locked the joint...i honestly consider it no worse than the previous 6 arthro scopes I had. Maybe Im lucky, but only using 1/3 of meds so far. Have an icewater pump and pad, which is amazing, but walking no walker or cane day 1 for a few steps when needed....little pain doing that... Its a bit sorer tonight and sleep is a bit more sporatic, but so far so good...doing rehab exercises and about at full ext out but pulling foot in to bend knee can be as painful as you desire, lol. I had the conformis TKR.

dunkky

I had my total right knee replacement, on the second night post.. Previous 3 scopes and no ACL... Ive played around 285 most of my adult life, but working on getting down to 245 or so to help out the knee. Honestly on my second night and while I went on the bad knees along time and they wrere about as bad as my surgeon had seen for wear of the bone, it went well...and even though he had to manipulate my very tight tendons and muscles..which locked the joint...i honestly consider it no worse than the previous 6 arthro scopes I had. Maybe Im lucky, but only using 1/3 of meds so far. Have an icewater pump and pad, which is amazing, but walking no walker or cane day 1 for a few steps when needed....little pain doing that... Its a bit sorer tonight and sleep is a bit more sporatic, but so far so good...doing rehab exercises and about at full ext out but pulling foot in to bend knee can be as painful as you desire, lol. I had the conformis TKR.

Boggie, if you wanna lose fat, try fresh lemmon juice + costco olive oil. drink it every morning 30 min before your breakfast. It worked for me and still working. I am not even on a diet.

dunkky

1 tspn fresh lemon juice + 1 tspn costco olive oil. mix it. swallow it. don't taste, swallow it.

dunkky

do you have to buy fresh lemons or can you use the bottled lemon juice?

well. to be more effective, fresh lemon is better with no doubt as there are more beneficial stuff there such as enzyme, etc.

They are pretty cheap, i slice a lemon into two, one for me and other for my wife. get that squeezing tool which is a few bucks, it's worth it and better than your hand.

Ken07

Day 6 Post Total Knee Replacement...5 degrees from straight, 100 degrees+ bend (was at 94 last few years...man this is shocking to me how easy it went. I know not everyone has same experience but this is more similar to every knee scope I had. Today, I walked 10 min at 1.5 to 2 mph, really working leg motion ahead and back, and biked 10 minutes and did 3x the rehab drills plus icing 2x per day...will repeat this tonight... Can walk up stairs now on new knee..Nothing but tylenol and 81mg aspirin...Ive only taken an oxy last night to sleep better...night is when you feel every small pain in your body and that was just to sleep better and only 1- 5mg plus flexeril muscle relaxant...you can get pain easy enough when you push on the flexing and extension drills, but steady work, a good surgeon and some understanding of pain and maybe it will be easier than you think. I can still have infection, etc....and will always have to watch out for big impact that breaks cement loose, but this might be more doable than you think. Im 285 6 foot, and was not in great shape during the knee...guys lighter I would surely guess would have better chances for fast recovery. I have inherited a high threshold of pain from my dad...i not tough, just dont feel it....but now only my quads on left and right of knee feel tight on flexing and that seems to be working out....I massage them as I saw someone do on youtube, to re align scar tissue fibers. I don't want to sound like a know it all, but wanted to share a positive experience of something that seems so radical.

Day 6 Post Total Knee Replacement...5 degrees from straight, 100 degrees+ bend (was at 94 last few years...man this is shocking to me how easy it went. I know not everyone has same experience but this is more similar to every knee scope I had. Today, I walked 10 min at 1.5 to 2 mph, really working leg motion ahead and back, and biked 10 minutes and did 3x the rehab drills plus icing 2x per day...will repeat this tonight... Can walk up stairs now on new knee..Nothing but tylenol and 81mg aspirin...Ive only taken an oxy last night to sleep better...night is when you feel every small pain in your body and that was just to sleep better and only 1- 5mg plus flexeril muscle relaxant...you can get pain easy enough when you push on the flexing and extension drills, but steady work, a good surgeon and some understanding of pain and maybe it will be easier than you think. I can still have infection, etc....and will always have to watch out for big impact that breaks cement loose, but this might be more doable than you think. Im 285 6 foot, and was not in great shape during the knee...guys lighter I would surely guess would have better chances for fast recovery. I have inherited a high threshold of pain from my dad...i not tough, just dont feel it....but now only my quads on left and right of knee feel tight on flexing and that seems to be working out....I massage them as I saw someone do on youtube, to re align scar tissue fibers. I don't want to sound like a know it all, but wanted to share a positive experience of something that seems so radical.
Wow lot better than me on walker dam near 3 weeks but almost 3 months now walked 5 miles in ride bike pretty good tried to jog a little but someone said don’t do it until 4 months but doc doesn’t recommend running at all

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
I had one a little over a year ago. was back at work in 3 weeks and hitting bp in 3 months.
would have hit earlier but dr was freaking out already so toned it down.
I play league and tourney and I wish I had done it earlier. I had my other knee scoped at the same time, I got around ok but I wouldn’t do both replacements at the same time.

Hawkeye92

OG Midget Mafia
Thanks fo all the great input everyone.
Ken - you’re a warrior. Keep up the rehab and let us know when you start hitting again.
Obagain - your timeline is encouraging. I thought for sure I’d be out at least a full year from softball.

here’s a little background on me. I played baseball & football growing up then turned to wrestling and gymnastics in high school. Fell in love with gymnastics and continued on into college then coaching. I was active in the sport for 30+ years and it took its toll on my body.

80% bucket handle tear of my lateral meniscus lead to my first surgery in ‘96. Then another one in 2013 to fully remove what was left of my meniscus and I’ve been bone on bone ever since.

Doc prescribed an off loader knee brace which shifts the stress to the medial side of me knee and relieves pain on my lateral side. It’s been a godsend and has allowed me to keep playing now into my early 50’s. I’ve been primarily pitching, which helped a lot, but started Senior ball last year and now I’m playing outfield again. I can still handle it OK, but if we have an exceptionally long weekend or we play back to back weekends, it takes me a long time for my knee to recover.

I keep my weight down intentionally to make it easier on my knee so I’m in the gym 3 to 5 days a week.
5,7”, 160 lbs. The only exercise I can tolerate that does not hurt my knee is the stationary bike. Treadmill, elliptical, or any kind of leg strength machine has been off the table for several years.

The daily pain is manageable, but there are good days and bad days. The bad days seem to be happening more frequently now which has me seriously contemplating total knee replacement. The doctor said that I will know when I’m ready. I’m getting close. I just want to feel normal again. I know the occurrence of complications is rare but I just don’t know if I’m ready to take the chance if something goes wrong and I end up worse off than I was before. I would be devastated.

Ken07

Hawkeye,
Ill continue to give you the optimistic view of it. I am 3 weeks post knee replacement and to tell the truth its already far better than my old knee was. No pain during the day...i can jog on it..good lateral strength...117 degrees bend where it was 94 degrees before. Ive lost weight but still in 280s so alot to cart around. Hit 30 balls off the tee today...no problem..its my back leg. I can squat at least 1/4 on stride. One thing I am finding is that at night...it aches enough that I cant sleep. Not horrible..maybe a 3 or 4, but the only time I take medication for it is at night. Its strange it doesnt bother during the day, and it keeps getting stronger, but others who had it, told me similar stories of aching at night up to 2 months. Now that right knee is better, I feel the bone spurs in my right hip lol...i suppose a scope of that is next, but knee surgery has been amazingly easy. Conformis Knee and a great surgeon and PT guy. Good luck.

dunkky

congrats!!!! Happy for you for the speedy recovery!! now don't forget. lemon juice + olive oil. LOL

AZTOMC

Addicted to Softballfans
How is everyone's knee replacement recovery doing? I have my TKR on the left knee scheduled for March 15th. I'm hoping to be back playing in 4 months.

Ken07

Im 6 weeks today...first checkup with operating doctor. Knee feels strong and is pain free during the day, at night it cramps and nerves regenerating give it some achiness, but overall delighted with it. I have been hitting off tee since week one....last two weeks live bp hitting as hard as I can go (rear knee replaced).. My doc told me that i could pretty much do anything I wanted. The cement he said was as strong as it would be after day 2...and since knee is stable and swelling gone, I could even ski on it next week. My other friends that had it a bit after me, arent coming along as fast, but moving forward positively. I think for me all the bike riding from day 2 on...has helped range of motion and given some low impact recovery..PT giving me one leg balance and strengthening has helped as well..Lost 20lbs since surgery, no longer morbidly obese, just down to obese. lol.

Ken07

One thing I wanted to add that is not all rosy, is as nerves regenerate, etc...my knee (very common to most my Dr. said) aches alot at night. I am working it hard, but it just aches towards evening, when you are more aware of it in bed. Ice machine before bed helps, have some thc, cbd cream and if real bad for sleeping, use a hydrocodone and flexeril ..one each to take the edge off. Its wierd but as i understand, its soft tissue and nerves healing. Long pillow between legs and sleeping on side..help.

AZTOMC

Addicted to Softballfans
Good for you Ken. When you say bike riding, do you mean stationary bike? I bought a recumbent bike and have been riding it daily. It's getting me trained on pain toleration. lol

Ken07

Good for you Ken. When you say bike riding, do you mean stationary bike? I bought a recumbent bike and have been riding it daily. It's getting me trained on pain toleration. lol
I have a life cycle upright bike...my knee was so stiff after the second day, but I put the seat up as high as it would go and could just get my knee to bend enough to go over the top...did about 5 min that day and it got progressively better every day...I cant imagine rehabbing without it...i keep moving the seat down..until now my other bad knee is at its limit but the replacement is now way more flexible....problem is once you see good results, at 66 I feel m right hip and other knee as the limiting factors now..lol I do 5 min on both treadmill and bike in am..then try to get 30 on bike and 30 on treadmill at night.

Ken07

How is everyone's knee replacement recovery doing? I have my TKR on the left knee scheduled for March 15th. I'm hoping to be back playing in 4 months.
How is your knee coming 10 days down the road from replacement?f '
my update...from 8 weeks until 10 weeks (now) post total right knee replacement...I have been in Florida working a camp and hitting...new knee is excellent...almost twice as strong as left leg...not saying much because other knee needs replacement but overall hitting as hard as my body will allow and the new knee is the strongest part of my lower body as I also have other knee and hips issues..having to relearn the swing some now that I am more mobile, but overall 100% pleased with knee...no longer aching at night...again, now the right hip and left knee are what suffer first...lots of biking and some walking plus full lifting program...can't be more pleased with knee..being more mobile I can stride and use hips and rotation to throw bat head into the ball and can even job to first.