League home run rules

AreJay

Addicted to Softballfans
How does your league handle home run rules? Our league is allowed 4 HRs a game then they become dead ball outs. Last night, a team was whining because they ended up hitting something like 4 or 5 DBOs saying a ball like that is penalizing a good hitter and it should just be a foul ball. Personally, I like the DBOs.

What do your leagues do?

redneck1991

Addicted to Softballfans
If they are hitting 8 or 9 hrs a game they should play up in a league that allows that kind of action.

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
How does your league handle home run rules? Our league is allowed 4 HRs a game then they become dead ball outs. Last night, a team was whining because they ended up hitting something like 4 or 5 DBOs saying a ball like that is penalizing a good hitter and it should just be a foul ball. Personally, I like the DBOs.

What do your leagues do?

A foul ball that goes 300ft + fair? I can't imagine the logic in that.

DBOs are fine, if you get 4 and hit 4 or 5 more out that's just bad bat control.

exccsracer

Scrooge McBase
One homerun hitter is designated. He's either designated before the game or the first person to hit one during the game. After that anyone that hits a hr is an out. If the designated hr hitter is walked, intentionally or not, it resets back to being open.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe they should have put their shaved sticks away after they reached the limit :D

One league I play in it's 3 HR per team then DBO.

Another league I play in has a 1 up equalizer.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
One homerun hitter is designated. He's either designated before the game or the first person to hit one during the game. After that anyone that hits a hr is an out. If the designated hr hitter is walked, intentionally or not, it resets back to being open.

I really like the if you walk him addition. That's a pretty cool rule.

Our leagues here have been open, 3 then 1 up and a single till then, 3 then 1 up and an out, 1 then 1up and a single until, 1 then 1up and an out, and 1 then outs.

This season we're rolling dice. Upper rolls two die and lower one. The rules above the 3 homerun variations are for upper and the one are for lower. Way back in the day when we had ABC, an A versus an A was open. I've only been here 7 years and I think they change at least one major rule a year just for kicks.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
Competitive: 3 & 1up, DBO if you're over the limit.

Church league: 1 per inning. DBO after that. One of our guys has about 10 and nobody else has even come close. :rolleyes:

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!

What do your leagues do?

5 a game then Equalizer. A good hitter doesnt hit DBO's...just sayin...

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
I second that and I've been a victim of it during a tourney. Classic M's at 40 degrees is the only way I hit them out accidentally. Lol.

Sounds to me you guys should learn to hit. In a game where you have homerun limits, it's obvious that it takes more skill to keep it In.

NSA type league. 4HR then outs. When we used .44SYs most teams would use them. With the .52SYs it's rare to see all four used.

Beer league, have a field with no fence, and a field with a fence. No limit at the field with a fence, because they can't determine what is or is not a homerun at the non fenced field. Before they made this switch this year, it was 1 over per player. Next one was a triple, then a double, then all singles.

Rec last year was 2 max, everything after was an out. Moved up a division this year, so now it's one up max of 3. In 8 games we have only hit the max once. The other 7 games, was only 1 hr those games. With 5 guys on the team that can hit one, 1 of them pretty much doing it when he wants. It's fun to see who can get it first, obviously with people on though. Doesn't help burning it on a solo.

exccsracer

Scrooge McBase
Sounds to me you guys should learn to hit. In a game where you have homerun limits, it's obvious that it takes more skill to keep it In.

I play league Spring and Fall so the temps are anywhere from 60-100 deg. With my usual swing in these temps the ball is staying in the park 99% of the time. This was my second tourney this year and in January it was 35-45 that day. Just bad luck that ab.

exccsracer

Scrooge McBase
I really like the if you walk him addition. That's a pretty cool rule.

We use the walk clause in full on **** mode a few years ago. We played a double header with the same team for a rain make up. The first game they smoked us so bad it was obvious they were sandbagging and didn't belong in our league. They did some serious trash talking and even rotated pulling a guy to "rest". They were hitting hr's just to speed up the inning.
Game 2, we walked every power hitter they had. 4 of their guys didn't get a single at bat. We just pointed to first for an intentional walk. They went from trash talking to bitching and complaining to the blue. Even their fan base was calling us names and complaining. Everyone one of us just shrugged our shoulders and said "that's what you get". When the game was over they didn't even shake hands and just left cussing under their breath.