Long Distance Hitting Competition

Steve Butler

Addicted to Softballfans
Thinking of doing this here in Denver area for a fund raiser.

Aurora has just added 6 new astro turf soccer fields. We could hit side ways and have 600-1000'

With that being said, would you have a grid that they had to stay in, any problem with counting the roll?

any bat, any ball pitch from any distance?

I've been in a lot of hr derbies and if there was a limited amount of pitches allowed the pitcher was allowed to pitch from a closer distance to help his accuracy?

Thoughts?

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
On Astro Turf it has to be where it hits. That ball will roll a long way on turf. A hard hit 280' line drive could more than likely outdistance a high 350' shot.

I would say they have to stay in a grid.

scuderia

Addicted to Softballfans
So if your outside at a home run derby and the tornado horns blow where do you hide? Gunther Tooties?

Don't the any ball/bat/distance ideas discredit the "long distance" and "competition" in what you're trying to accomplish; you'd just be hitting.

tattooball

I'm in with my bat my own softballs. Good luck to anyone that doesn't have what I am hitting. If we are counting the roll that would even be better.

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
Any bat, any pitch distance but same ball. I would like to see some form of an equalizer to see who wins. Count the roll, distance is how far away it ends up from being struck flight or roll. Hitting length wise on the turf, I say keep it on the turf in order to count

Just my .02, sounds like a fun idea and hope it comes off. Post results if you do this please, I'd definitely be curious to see how far especially in Denver air.

Steve Butler

Addicted to Softballfans
if we have enough people in the OF watching where they land that would work.

We'll have a few guys who say the ball landed here or over there and then there is an argument.

If we let it roll on its own, where it stops is a no brainer.

However, we will do what the guys want.

Livestrong63

Addicted to Softballfans
Off a tee, has to land inside the hashes or designated area, similar to the longest drive competition for golf.

DoubleOhWho

Swing what you bring
No. This is Ludacris
49d3bdd19b64e_zpsksutbrfk.jpg

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Counting the roll is ludicrous for a hr competition, but he said distance. A roll isn't going to add that much distance. It's not like a 200' topspin line drive is then going to roll farther than a backspin 350' shot. It would be interesting to see if when it gets down to the nitty gritty if there is a difference between some guys.

Steve Butler

Addicted to Softballfans
If we are going to count it where it lands then we should hit on the grass soccer fields right next door. The grass here in Denver area is very lush and and you don't seem to get much roll.

I'll get together with TWmccoy and find the right time then get the field reserved.

I know we have 2 senior tourney's this year at ASP might be a good time?

025357.jpg

img.php_62.jpeg

TRaj2327

You should just wait until next winter and do it on a frozen lake if you want to include the roll. It would make it far more exciting and interesting.

Seriously?
Including the roll?
What is this?
The golf long drive competition in Mesquite?
Softball has fences.
Golf doesn't.
Once the ball goes over the fence in softball that is all that matters. Maybe softball should eliminate fences and just put a HR line. Then little Tommy who weighs 140 lbs. soaking wet could hit HRs in league night on the 275' "fence"

JBT2020

The Veteran
Let me see you hit a 400+ yard drive. I also agree on not letting people swing any ball. If that's the case you'll have guys hitting girls softballs. Shoot if that's the case im bringing golf balls. I bet I fly golf balls farther than anyone rolls a softball.

TRaj2327

You're missing the point. There exist holes that are longer than anyone has ever driven. Find me a field with a fence that can't be hit out of or a league that has a designated length with roll for a batted ball that would constitute it a homerun.

(Not you JBT)

RustyShakleford

This sounds like something just for fun and not a comparison of in game skills though. Like the golf long drive championship you mentioned.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like he's trying to keep costs down. You can have one judge out there instead of four or whatever.

jrxp

Pull side Judy
If it's long distance I would do it like golf. Put a 30 foot wide area to hit see how many ppl hit inside the grid. The luckiest man wins

Steve Butler

Addicted to Softballfans
the smaller the grid, the easier it will be to pinpoint where it lands.

Keep the idea coming since we're under 3' of snow:D